Sunday, February 12, 2006

La, la, Lamp (Post)

So I took a shower this morning. I get my best creative ideas in the shower.

Yesterday I received a Delia's catalogue (Ok, ok, so I'm pushing 30--and that catalogue is aimed at 13 y.o.'s--but they have cute shoes!). They had this crocheted lamp:

51090_w_s

One of my other obsessions besides knitting is making lamps:
tiki2 tiki
My Tiki Lamp. I made this one from a barf-licious lamp (fake wood and this yellowing shade) that was in my old boss's office. When he was "promoted" to a better office he was just going to throw this out! I needed a bedside table/lamp. So I created the Tiki Lamp!

Then a few days after my birthday two years ago, I decided it wasn't enough just to bake my own cake. I had to make a lamp too:
cake

Last Easter I was taking another shower and pondering my little sister's move in the fall to Georgia. She had mentioned that she was going to drive down from AK to GA and wasn't taking any of her furniture/lamps with her to save space in her car. So since she was stopping by here to visit on her drive down to GA I figured I'd make her a lamp for her new apartment:
pbbpsl
Behold my favorite lamp--The Playboy Bunny Peep Show Lamp! Made with Marshmallow Peeps with handpainted on bikinis. Hee hee! The crowning touch on this lamp was:
hef
Of course a Hef bunny in his trademark maroon silk pjs!

I have another small "welcome" lamp in my closet I bought of ebay for $3. It's got this godawful leopard print shade. I was going to use it as an xmas present for my little brother, but the idea I was working on got scrapped.

Back to where I started--when I was showering today, I thought, my new desk at work is going to be this fucking beige color (yes, I'll drop the F-bomb when speaking of beige. My apologies beige-lovers), I'll need color. Why not KNIT a lamp? I mean if Delia's can sell a crocheted lamp for $26 why can't I make something of my own? Hmm, I'm going to need some kind of really garish/loud color. Something to really scream "I'M NOT BEIGE!" and that small "welcome" lamp in my closet is the perfect size for my new desk.

I'm going to have to shower on this one again to see what I come up with.

P.S. Brownie points if you can tell me where the title of this post came from!!

EDIT: Well der, I should have known Knitty would have had a pattern for a lamp shade!

2 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Barenaked Ladies! And where on earth did the Barenaked Ladies get it from? Why, Sesame Street of course! Hee hee, can't wait to see your lamp. They did one on Knitty Gritty if you need an idea for proper materials and whatnot. Dunno if a certain yarn type needs to be used when in close proximity to a bulb.

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Game Perang Battlefield 1942 said...

Awesome information..
Keep writing and giving us an amazing information like this..

Blog Walking visit myblog http://bombomwar.blogspot.co.id/ ^^

3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home