Sunday, March 12, 2006

F is For...

Forest

forest
Yes, a stock photo today! What can I say, I know I'm not going to have time for a decent "F" in the next few weeks.

This is a picture of the path we had to take to our campsite when we were camping "up north" back in 2004. It was a lot of fun (except when The Mad Scientist's bosses decided to hide behind a bush in the dark and jump out and scare me as I was walking to the bathrooms--quite embarrasing because I screamed like a girly-girl and I was singing the Oscar Meyer Weiner Song at the time to ward off bears). Chunky loved sleeping in a tent. Unfortunately we haven't been camping since. I love camping. We camped all the time when I was a kid. When you grow up in Alaska and there's six kids in your family, you can't afford expensive vacations. So we would all pile into the 1969 Thunderbird trailer (made to sleep 4 but we squeeze 8 people in there!) and camp all over AK.

Yesterday was The Mad Scientist's birthday. I bought him these:
mats

I got these back when there was a chance of him getting a job at the University of Colorado (the trip he's on right now, except he cancelled the interview--gotta love nonrefundable tickets). He said he'd have to take his "Colorado State University Alumni" windowsticker off his car if he got a job at CU as he'd be parking his car on "enemy" territory. I thought the mats would be a good way for him to "represent" while also staying incognito. But since he'll be at UTSA, it won't matter!

And in knitting news, I finished my first set of socks!
socks

They're not that great, but hey, they were really a first try. I've learned a lot. And the second sock, although it still has flaws, it's still better than the first one. This means I AM learning!

For now I'm a little sock burned out. So last night I cast on a drop-stitch tank top. I had wanted to make the drop stitch one-piece sweater in the winter 2005 issue of IK, however why bother since we'll be in San Antonio where it's about 65-70 degrees this time of year?!

I actually checked my gague on this one (hee hee, shhhh, I NEVER check my gague!) and I had one stitch too many. I figure meh, what the hell, it's just one stitch. But the front is coming out pretty damn wide. I'll keep going, and maybe decrease it a smidge a few inches up. We'll see. I am totally in love with the drop stitch though! It looks great! The pattern calls for that weird Lion Brand ribbon yarn, but I'm doing it with Caron Simply Soft in this pretty seafoam green color. I'll post progress pics later this week.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Love the forest pic! Great job on your first socks! Trust me it does get easier! I learned so much on my first pair! Hang in there! :)

10:13 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Congrats on your socks! I still can only get to the heel.

Your camping story reminds me so much of my family. Same thing. Too many kids. Can't afford hotels. We camped every summer. I still love camping. Great pic.

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home