Sunday, March 26, 2006

G is for...

Great Blue Heron


100_0825

It's definately spring. According to my "Birds of Michigan" handbook, these guys only are here in the summer. The loction of this photo is the Tollgate Wetlands. It's this small slice of land wedged between a neighborhood and a golf course. There's a walking trail that circles the "swamp" and there are three different sections of water separated by marshy grasses and small trees. There's an island (where I believe the herons nest) in the middle of the largest body of water. It's all manmade, but it's quite a nice thing to have in my neighborhood. Since I work so close to home, I've been taking lunch time walks around the loop. When I'm going through tough times, I enjoy the peacefulness of this place--it gives me some quiet time to think. Not to mention that these birds give me goosebumps each time I see them. Even though the three great blue herons that live in this swamp have been here the whole five years we've lived in Michigan, they still manage to take my breath away.

100_0827

Mark this place and these birds down as one of the few things I'll miss about Michigan when we move to Texas.

On Die deutsche Socke (the German sock) front---things are progressing well. I've yet to start my toe decreases, but I'm a few inches away from it. I'm still getting slight laddering from where I'm "picking up the stitches" on the heel flap. I put that in quotations because I still don't think I'm doing it right. Anyone know where to find a good picture of picking up stitches? I might have to hit that knitting how-to website (can't remember the right name right now) at work next week (connection here at home sucks for the videos).

4 Comments:

Blogger sgeddes said...

What an awesome sight. A very beautiful bird! I

12:59 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Try:
http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html

1:09 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Wow! Good G! Love to see wildlife/animals from other parts of the country!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Those birds are SO hard to photograph. They do not like to let people get close enough. I've tried a few times over the years and all I ever get is an unrecognizable blur far away. Good work.

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home