Sunday, April 23, 2006

It's Raining, It's Pouring!

It's done! The plastic bag raincoat is done!!! AT LAST!!!!

I stayed up til 2:00 a.m. last night finishing this puppy. Only to find out that the hood was too big! All that scrounging for extra bags and I had to perform some ghetto "steeking":

100_0896

100_0897

(what a mess!)

But after spending probably an hour braiding the lanyard and melting buttonholes in the wine corks Turtlegirl sent me to make the toggle closures, I finally got it done!

So before I do the final "reveal" here are the pattern stats (do you like the way I'm pretending this is like a sophisticated knit item?):

The Pattern: My own design

The "yarn": Probably close to 1000 plastic shopping bags (I'd like to give a shout out to those who donated bags: my mother, my sister Birdeger, Turtlegirl, and of course my Cashfree SP--whoever you are!)

The Needles: Size 17 Susan Bates circulars. The scary part of that is that they were white when I started but the ink from the bags has now turned them gray!

So here it is: (Insert drumroll here)

100_0902

Hood up!

100_0906

Hood down!

Aside from the chainmail-esque looking hood I am extremely pleased with the "fit" of this coat. For being my first time a.) designing anything wearable and b.) knitting anything with sleeves, I think it turned our pretty damn well!

And for the curious--it's sprinkling outside today I took the coat for a short spin to my car. It seems to do well repelling sprinkles. Downpours? Probably not.

15 Comments:

Blogger cpurl17 said...

Bezzie, that's amazing--and you finished it on Earth Day--the ultimate in recycling fashion!!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

You are hysterical. I love it!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Areli said...

That's pretty amazing :-D

3:49 PM  
Blogger Roxy said...

That is so fantastic OMG I love it!
You are the poster child for CashFree Sp'ing

*WOOP*


xoxoxo

Anne

4:04 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

That is the coolest thing I've seen in a while! How chic!

4:56 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Yay! Shower shot! It turned out awesome! How fragging cool is that? A plastic bag raincoat. You are truly a unique chick.

Reason # 348 why I like you, you make plastic bag raincoats.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Bezzie, you are so cool! I love it, you did a great job and the buttons are a great idea too!

WTG! :)

6:32 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

It's fabulous! I especially love the toggles!

2:46 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy I could help! The fit is awsome for your first garment!

-your cashfree SP (who is a lamer and late with the 3rd package)

8:47 AM  
Blogger Aspiring Crazy Cat Lady said...

Coolest knitting project EVER!

7:51 PM  
Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

OMG! That is so fantastically white-trash. I mean that in a good way. You are amazing! Awesome, I say, Awesome!

12:06 AM  
Blogger Anu said...

wow, so very "green" of you. a gold medal for creativity and persistence!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

How damn funny!

:-)

11:42 AM  
Anonymous helle said...

Awhhh......that's wonderful. Love it so much.
It fits really well too.......very clever.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home