Friday, May 26, 2006

Mystery Project Revealed

So I gave y'all a small sneak peek the other day. Here's another something to whet your curiosity while I tell the backstory to the inspiration to this:

pieces

So I'm by far NOT the most patriotic person in the world. I hate what the U.S. is doing in the world today (and yes I know y'all might not agree with that statement, but let's agree to disagree; I can't change your mind, you can't change mine). But I do support our troops. Two of my three brothers have served in the middle east, one in Iraq and one in Saudi. I'm sure one of them will be going back again shortly.

Everyday I try to get out and walk a bit to stave off the Unemployment 15. As I've been walking around the neighborhood I see a lot of nasty "yellow" (usually they've faded to white), shredded, dirty, poorly knotted ribbons on trees in peoples' yards. The neighborhood elementary school even has these eyesores all over their trees out front.

Now let us review what's wrong with these ribbons:

1. What an eyesore. They're faded, torn, and shameful. Why would anyone want shitty, split, faded plastic ribbon all over their trees? This doesn't seem like proper troop support to me; and

2. They're KILLING the trees! A tree's vascular system runs through its trunk. When you tie a ribbon or string around it, it's like you're cutting off it's circulation. Tie a ribbon tightly around your neck and tell me what happens. Given the state of things in the middle east, I don't see it very likely that we'll be cutting these ribbons off anytime soon, thus saving these trees from a slow death.

So I figured, hell, I could knit a freaking "ribbon" that would expand with the tree and not strangle it to death.

So here's the off-tree pic:

assembled

And here it is on the yucky apple tree (Chunky calls it that because when he was a baby, in the fall he always wanted to pick the rotting apples off of it--I had to continually tell him "No! Yucky!"):

ribbon

And a side view:

side view

Yeah, it looks kind of kitschy, and the puffy bow reminds me of barrettes I wore in my hair in the 80's, but I will say it looks 10 times better than the shredded, strangling trash I see on other peoples' trees.

And for those interested, I've secured another interview in San Antonio the week I'm down there. So hopefully soon my weird boredom-induced knitting projects will end.

Thanks for the craiglist suggestions from yesterday. I'll have to check that out.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

I think the bow is cool!

11:35 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

That's a great idea! You tagged a tree with something meaningful! Hey, aren't you supposed to notify the knitted terrorists or something when you do this? Um, wish I could remember the url to that, hey maybe Glittrgirl would be interested!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

ok, I still wear those bow barrets, I'm getting too old for it maybe? That is really cute! I agree with you about the ribbons. What steams me is the pro-war bumper stickers on SUV. Come on!
I think we need to take back the word "patriot", it belongs as much to the questioning, disagreeing citizens. We are mad because we care.

1:02 PM  
Blogger KnitAbout said...

i think it's cool, too. Good job!

the war is a whole can of worms. And it seems like people have lost the ability to converse and disagree without pulling out a firearm of some kind. I think Bush should be impeached. I also think we need a good strong military. I also think we should allocate resources elsewhere and quit messing with other countries who clearly pose no threat. I also think individuals should examine our own consumption issues, particularly oil, etc. etc.

and mya your brother (s) make it home safely!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

What a fantastic idea. I don't think people realise what they're doing sometimes. Let's just hope we get our troops home soon.

I second TG's suggestion - let the knitted terrorists know what you've been up to.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Margot said...

First, good luck with your job search.

Second, you sound like a patriot to me! Speaking up about the stupidity of the disasterous choices the administration has made is the most patriotic thing you can do. Don't concede patriotism to those who are on a path to destroy our country.

So painfuly ironic that they say they're defending freedom as they chisel ours away, bit by bit.

1:02 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Bezzie,

What a great idea! Your bow is perfect. I hope your brothers stay safe.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

That is so cool how you did that! I keep looking at it...Amazing!!!

it's late, doesn't take much to amaze me hehe! ;)

11:30 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

That's a really thoughtfull bow. Thanks for thinking about the trees too. That always annoys me.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home