Sunday, May 21, 2006

Playing God (or insert your Creator of choice here)

This afternoon, and this past week I've slowly been packing up Bezzie Manor in anticipation of The Big Move. Yeah, I know it's probably premature, but it makes me feel like we're that much closer to San Antonio.

So today, as I'm packing up miscellaneous things in my kitchen and giving Chunky various things to dust before we pack them (I tell you that boy is going to be the best freakin' husband ever or possibly gay--he's got this bizarre penchant for cleaning. What other kid do you know that asks for a toy vacuum for Christmas?) I unearth a food dehydrator that my brother Bub gave us for our wedding. I think I've used it twice.

So I posted it on Freecycle. I've been posting shit on Freecycle all week. I love Freecycle. Where else can you actually get people to come to your house to pick up your unwanted shit? Yes, I've tried to get those Starvation Army type places to do pick ups and they never want what I've got to offer!

However when you post on, or even merely read Freecycle requests, you can tell that there are many interesting people/weirdos using Freecycle. Read Penny Karma's post on cooking unitals and the abuse of grammar with posts.

And it is so hard as a Freecycle giver to weed out the weirdos. I refuse to give my stuff to men. "Yeah baby, come over to my house and pick up these 10 year old college text books. Here's my address and phone number if you get lost." Before I give anything away, the email a person sends asking for my shit has to hit me just right.

For example last week I got rid of three bags of Chunky's infant baby clothes and some girl-baby clothes someone had given me when I was pregnant with Chunky (we didn't find out his sex until he was born). I had about 15 people email me asking for the clothes for their pregnant daughter/sister/church members. And then I had one that struck me--a girl who had a small-for-her size 12 mo. old daughter (the girl baby clothes were all about 12 month sizes anyway) and she had a premature little boy still in the hosptial. Most of these clothes I was Freecycling were from The Mad Scientist's sister who also had a premature little boy a year before Chunky was born and she handed down his clothes to me.

I also posted two bags of Chunky's toddler clothes. I stated they were boys' clothes summer and winter from 12 mos. to 24 mos. in size. Again I had a dozen people emailing me (and some dude who had also wanted the infant clothes) about their poor one year old naked grandson/nephew/son/cousin. I even had one lady ask me "Well what sizes are included in the bags?" Geeze, if you want that much detail and can't figure it out from 12 mos. to 24 mos. in size, guess what? You're not getting them! But the email that did it was one from a lady who was the very last one to email me and the thing that she said was "Thank you" at the end of her email. No one else said that. She's sofar been the politest Freecycler I've encountered. I'm glad I gave her those clothes.

Which brings me back to the food dehydrator. Again I feel like I'm playing God (or whoever/whatever you choose to believe brought on life as we know it). This paticular email I got rubbed me the wrong way in its tone. Maybe I'm reading too much into it though.

Hello, My husband and I are retired, on limited income...we would LOVE to
have the dehydrator. My mother, when alive, loaned us hers to make dried apples
and cherries. It is just wonderful. So, please, put us at the top of your list
of folks wanting your dehydrator. With hopes, Patty
"...please put us at the top of your list"?? Um, no. Sorry. It just really bothered me that they came off as begging for it. Besides, they're on a limited income. I didn't mention in my post how much electricity this damn dehydrator sucks up when you have to run it 12-15 hours just to get some dried apples that would have cost them $2.99 at Kroger. And is anyone else wondering what happened to her dead mother's dehydrator? Maybe these people broke it? Or maybe they pissed mom off and she didn't will it to them? I'm probably being an arrogant bitch for not giving it to them, but I'm going to sleep on this and see what emails are in my inbox tomorrow. I like the request to connect with me before I give my shit away to any old person. Thank you Freecycle for giving me a God complex.

Tomorrow I'll post pictures of the hopefully finished Shapely Tank and my copy of the autographed Big Girl Knits and a description brief encounter with the wonderful Jill and Amy!

7 Comments:

Blogger Stacie said...

Ok, that is a little weird. I was thinking of the cost of a computer and internet service, and just how did these retirees tap into the savvy that is Freecycle. Hmmm, clever disguise or poor old folks, you decide...

11:31 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I don't envy you having to decide who to give your stuff to, but then I'm crap at making decisions ;) I think you're right to go with your gut feelings.

2:31 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Lol, I love your account of freecycle. I'm glad you're weeding out the odd-bods and giving to the more grateful types. I check the one for my area regularly and think it's hilarious. I can't get over the nerve of some people and what they ask for and the lies they tell to qualify their need.

Hope the packing goes well. Looks like the little guy is more than well trained.

6:51 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Heh, between you and Penny Karma, I finally found the local Freecycle group and signed up. I haven't read the messages yet, but I'm planning on it this afternoon. I'm ready for some entertainment! Ha!

And you met Amy and Jillian? Fabulous! I can't wait to hear more about it.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

I love, love, love Freecycle. But yeah, you do get some freaks. I had one woman who flat out admitted to begging (in all caps, mind you), saying she wanted anything from my list because she'd sell it in garage sales to keep food on the table. The kicker? She lives 2 towns over. Uh, how 'bout if you take some grocery money out of your gas budget, ya bozo?!

But I've also met some lovely folks. And it is exhilarating to have people clamoring for your crap. :-D

9:26 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

You know, I hate it when retired people pull the 'I'm old' card. I work and *I'm* on a fixed income too-paycheck is the same every month!

11:24 AM  
Blogger KnitAbout said...

i love freecycle too. BUT, our moderator is PSYCHO and a bit controlling. She sends out just a few too many random emails. I had to stop. But I had a lot of people say thank you...and the weirdos. It's fun to decide who to give it to...

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home