Thursday, May 25, 2006

Trying To Think Outside The (Moving) Box

I'm smacking my head against my very dusty walls. Who knew WALLS could get dusty? Holy shit, I'm taking down the pictures in our living room--gross!

Anyway, I secured a half-interview yesterday. Meaning if the job is still available on June 6 when I go down to SA then they'll interview me for it. Personally I think this is regional discrimination, but I don't think the ACLU will help me out on this one.

I'm seriously thinking me and Chunky will end up in SA before The Mad Scientist. He's been talking with Mr. and Mrs. PI and it's starting to look like September when he'll finally defend. Sigh.

So here's my problem: I've got The Mad Scientist to help me load the moving truck up here in Michigan, but when I get down to San Antonio I've got no one there to help me move my crap out of the truck. Now I'm not worried about boxes, I'm no girly-girl, I can move a box. But a couple of our items of furniture like the entertainment center, possibly the craptacular couch, and the computer desk are going to require two people. What the hell am I going to do? I've looking into movers--um, no, I'm not paying people that much money to move a couple items of furniture.

I have the feeling there's like a really simple solution to all of this, but I can't freaking think of anything. I think I've got an aunt and uncle outside of Dallas, but yeah, I've never met them, that would be an awkward favor to call in!

As much as I hate to see Chunky grow up and not be my little boy anymore--this is the first time I wish he was bigger! Ha ha!

3 Comments:

Blogger Inky said...

We had a similar situation when we moved from San Diego to the Central Coast of California. Tons of peeps to help in San Diego, no one here. I put an ad on craigslist and set up 3 guys to help us unload the truck. Paid them each $10 cash an hour and bought them a sandwich and soda. It took about 2 hours to unload the truck, and deliver a fridge to the house, so it was well worth it.

4:24 PM  
Blogger aija said...

I was totally thinking craigslist too :)

Good luck with the move!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

If it is anything like metro Phoenix try the local Home Depot

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home