Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Wipdate

How sad is it when you feel guilty abandoning your knitting to update your resume and search for jobs so you can start whoring yourself out on the job market 1500 miles away?

Just two things on the needles right now:

wips

The start of Texas Tank Top Number Two--a shapely tank made of Cottontots in "Strawberry" (looks more like Pepto to me). And the sock that would not end. Gah, I swear I HAVE to finish this damn sock. I'm soooo bored with it it's driving me NUTS. I'm considering getting rid of my last two balls of Regia Nation in the German flag colors just because I'm soooo sick of looking at them (of course I knew this burnout would happen!).

I'm enjoying the somewhat mindless monotony of doing the bottom of the shapely tank with a little shaping here and there to keep it interesting. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out why the bottom "scallop" called for short rows though. I mean I get short rows for a sock heel or a bust apex (snicker!) but because I did it (as the pattern called for) on the bottom of the tank, I have little boobie-dart-esque at the corners of my scallop. Maybe I screwed it up. But I keep thinking there's got to be a better way to creat a scalloped effect at the bottom without short rows.

Anyway, this is happening to the bottom of my tank:

darn edge!

The bottom edge keeps flipping up. I suppose I could block it when I'm done to see if that helps, but the whole purpose of the Trio of Thrifty Tank Tops was to create three cotton machine washable tanks I could just toss in the machine and forget about. Ah well, such is the adventure of knitting. I'll figure something out to keep this edge from curling. Or I'll at least make it a "design feature" ala Bezzie.

8 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

You could always say "screw it" and turn it under and sew it in place to make a neat hem. Strange shaping in the pattern, so it sounds.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

If I would going to make a scalloped edge, I would have crocheted it on afterwards. Turtle is right, strange shaping.

So you are taking your crazy self to Texas? That is where I was born and raised, north though. I'm a Dallas gal.

Take care. Oooh, you get to start a new adventure in your life! That's cool!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

This is the reason I need to learn to crochet--if only remedially to finish edges.

Texas is ON! I'm in the process right now of sending a lucky 13 resumes and cover letters to various O&G attorneys in the San Antonio area!

I'm sure I'll be up to Dallas--I think I've got an aunt in Tyler which is right outside Dallas if I remember rightly.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Hey I think I know where that sock yarn ended up!!! Your loss, my gain sista!!

Love the blog so far (I have to catch up with you now, you know all about me!) I'll thank you proper in a day or so on the blog.

Good Luck with the move!

12:50 PM  
Blogger entrelac said...

Girl, if you're cruising through Texas, you NEED to stop in Austin and say hello! I'll even take you to Freebirds! :)

Oh, and is it me, or are the stitches in that gorgeous pink WIP twisted? Is that intentional? If so, it looks totally kick butt.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Austin isn't very far from SA at all!

Hm, now that you mention it, those stitches DO look twisted! I think it's because of the cottontots. It's a one ply yarn with a small thread wrapped around it. I think that is what's making my stockinette look twisted. Or I'm just projecting into my knitting now. Ha!

8:14 AM  
Blogger entrelac said...

I don't think it's just the cottontots. I zoomed in a LOT on your photo of the curled edge, and those stitches do look twisted to me regardless of their texture.

But anyway. Whatever you're doing, keep doing it, it looks really cool. :)

2:40 PM  
Blogger entrelac said...

Oh, I forgot to mention: The funny little curve at the bottom of that pattern WILL block out flat. And then you'll have a nice looking curved bottom edge that resembles a tailored shirt.

Do no panicking, okay? :)

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home