Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Yup, I still knit

Ah, what a nice weekend. I guess it doesn't really matter since I'm unemployed anyway and every weekend is a three day weekend, but I had fun hanging with Chunky and The Mad Scientist. Well, actually The Mad Scientist worked every day except Sunday. Sunday we went to see Over the Hedge. I hate spending that much money on a movie or anything not tangible, but it was fun. It was a cute movie. The only part that sucked was they totally ruined the Ben Folds song at the end--Rocking the Suburbs--he must have re-recorded a PG version for the movie.

That was Sunday. On Monday Chunky and I walked up to the school park (I "tagged" one of those autrociously ribboned trees with my knitted ribbon) and played for a bit. Of course this weekend (and today and tomorrow) it's been freaking 89 degrees before the heat index. This leads me to the conclusion I'm going to die in Texas. At least in Texas I guess we'll have A/C in every room of the house---here we just have this old box air conditioner in the living room that's lounder than hell and sounds like it's going to take off and fly out of the wall when we run it.

After the park we cleaned out some of the storage unit. Yick. Spiders. I Freecycled a ton of stuff--baby and toddler clothes galore and one of those freaking space-eating exersaucers. Chunky hated that thing as a baby and it just took up a ton of room. Baby shower gifts, what are you going to do?

On the knitting front I decided to replace Soleil (bah, I don't feel like linking to the pattern) with the Lotus Blossom Tank found in the latest edition of Interweave Knits. Although I think once I finish the million rounds of lace at the bottom I'm going to frankenstein a different pattern to do the armholes and neck. Probably not the wisest idea given my track record on the now infamous Texas Trio of Thrifty Tank Tops. I washed the Dumpley Tank this weekend and yeah, it didn't help. It still does the flippety-do thing (I should try to tack that down) at the back and generally looks like shit. Oh well.

Anyway I also cast on a sock in anticipation of my traveling next week:

lotus and sock

Here's a close up of the lotus blossom--I'm not even done with one repeat of the pattern:

lotus upclose

And the sock:

sock up close

The sock is done with a broken-rib pattern using the cotton blend yarn I picked up at Threadbear last month. I know I've read a lot of people hate ribbing, but I love knitting it. For me it's mindless so I guess I enjoy mindless knitting.

Ok, well it's time to start researching places to live in Texas so I can at least check out a couple of places while I'm down there.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rain said...

Lotus Blossom is looking good so far. The colour is so pretty.

Psssssssttttt, go see Turtlegirl's Blog (Mwahaha!)

11:19 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Heh heh. You tag trees, I tag you!

The Lotus Blossom tank is a pretty color. Wait until after you finish the bottom before you really decide to alter the pattern though. I don't have a great track record with that either.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

We saw Over The Hedge on Sunday too!

We got our money's worth out of the $9.50 popcorn and soda combo with three free refills of each, so that took a bit of the sting out of paying $50 to entertain the 5 of us for an hour and a half.

My favorite line was "ring-tailed charlatan."

1:58 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Can you chop off the flipity part of the tank by threading in a lifeline, chopping off the offending bit and knitting down in some other pattern?

2:27 PM  
Blogger KnitAbout said...

gorgeous color on the lotus!

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home