Friday, June 16, 2006

If Only It Was This Easy

springs&map

To find a place to live...you just find a map of someplace and curl up under it. Sigh.

Finding a place to live blows. Maybe I'm being too picky? All I want is a backyard. Apparently if we want a backyard, we must be prepared to pay $300-$500 more a month than we currently pay in rent. I know the midwest is a cheap place to live but c'mon, Texas isn't California or the East Coast. Yikes.

As some of you know I found this really cute property that fit my criteria, backyard and not a total pain the pocketbook in monthly rent. So I emailed the realtor. He emailed me back and was skittish about renting it to us sight unseen. So I wrote him this:

I appreciate you being willing to work with us long distance. Unfortunately I don't have anyone down there that could view the property in my place. When we moved to Michigan nearly six years ago we had the same challenge. So this would not be our first time renting
sight-unseen. However, we have been living in the same place we rented sight unseen nearly six years ago. If there's something wrong with the property please let me know. Otherwise, we are not about to break a lease.

If it's a problem to rent to us sight unseen let me know and I'll focus my attention on other properties in the San Antonio area.


Finally he wrote me back this:

1--- Edison is a very old property and with the exception of central heat and air has very few modern amenities. It has vinyl floor tiles in half the home that are poorly done. They are raised at the seams and some are loose. The carpet is older sculpted carpet of days gone by but looks almost new. The bedroom closets are very small though there is a hanging closet in the hall and dining room. Some of the cabinet doors don’t fit right due to many coats of paint. The interior paint is blotchy. The back bedroom is all wood paneling that is very dark and shows years of wear. The cabinet in the kitchen is the old steel variety. There are washer and dryer hook ups in the kitchen and the owner is willing to move the sink down the wall to accommodate side by sides if you have them. It is very cute from the street with a huge yard. The owner is installing a shed out back for storage of your lawn mower etc. Some people have expressed concern over the neighborhood. I was looking for a home in that neighborhood to buy. I suggest you go to www.mysanantonio.com and look at the crime blotter section to make up your own mind.

Ok, I can live with shitty linoleum, carpet and cupboards that don't close. You should see the crap we live with now--the linoleum is yellowed, cracked in places and generally awful. I remember the apt. manager bitching about it when we first moved in. And don't get me started on our current carpet. Part of our living room floods each summer and as a result we've got stained patchworky carpet due to them "fixing" the problem each year. There's also mold growing in the drywall where it floods each year. Yes, it soaks the drywall. Disgusting.

But what did it for me was the neighborhood. If it was just me and The Mad Scientist, I wouldn't care. But damn kids. You throw them into the mix and your values change. Sigh. I want a backyard for him to play in where he won't get abducted or shot in.

I give this realtor credit for being frank with me. That was nice of him.

I might just have to throw in the towel and find some freaking apartment complex to live in. I enjoy being nomadic and living in new places every X number years, but in some respects I wish we could settle down and think about buying a house. I know it will be soon enough that The Mad Scientist finally gets a permanent job where buying a house would finally be an option--but that's not soon enough! :-)

Hopefully finding childcare won't be this much of a pain. And hopefully in a few months I'll be melting in San Antonio with both Chunky and Dr. Mad Scientist and laughing about this whole ordeal.

7 Comments:

Anonymous turtlegirl76 said...

Oh wow. That was a very honest response from him. I never would have expected that.

Apartments are at least more well kept, have people on duty daily to fix stupid broken shit, and probably have a playground for Chunky. You can probably find a townhome style place with a backdoor leading to a nice size yard for him to play in.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Good thing he was honest with you. I agree with kids it all changes. Especially thinking about safety, and schools. It might be a good idea to rent an apartment for a year or two, save up down payment cash, and decide where you really want to buy a house. I think in big cities it's harder.

Good luck! I know how hard this can be....we had a heck of a time finding a place to rent in England for a year.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Just because you are a Ghetto Knitter doesn't mean you want to live in one!

Good one for the realator.

Take care and you will find something good soon!

10:26 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Turtlegirl has some good advice. I'd rather go for a nice townhouse or dupex in a safe neighborhood than a house in a sketchy one.

It's probably too expensive to consider but what about renting one of those residence type hotels for a month or so you can look around in person?

Moving sucks. I hope you find a great place!!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Honest realtors are worth their weight in gold. The playground idea is a good one. I live in a house with a yard, and I wouldn't let the boys play out there unsupervised, because it's full of nails and broken glass. I've been harvesting glass for 3 years. :-p

Access to a playground designed with kids in mind can let Chunky run the squirrels out -- and you don't have to mow it!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

It was good of him to be so honest, especially when you've got a little one.

Hope you find somethign soon.

3:59 AM  
Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

I'm in the same boat you are right now Bezzie and I don't envy you the inability to go down and take a quick peek. I'm trying to fins a place to live in San Jose where the kids won't get shot on the way to school. It seems like a simple request doesn't it?

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home