Monday, June 12, 2006

I'm back baby!!!

Ah! Home sweet home! San Antonio was nice, but it's not much fun being a tourist on your own and it's hard to do touristy things when it hotter than hell outside 24 hours a day.

The interviews went well. I had a total of four of them when all was said and done. I had two lined up when I went down on Tuesday and set up two more while I was down there. Good lord, I am interviewed out!!!

Housing scouting was well--meh. Most of the houses I liked had already been rented out so I just checked out a couple of mediocre townhomes. Nothing to write home about. I really want a backyard for Chunky to be able to frolick around in.

So here's the touristy shit--

Me in front of the Alamo:

self portrait

The Riverwalk:

riverwalk

That's about all the touristy stuff I did there. I checked out the library (downtown). Sadly they've got about just as many knitting books as Lansing has. But for an hour in the lovely library A/C I read a great book about the Swedish Bohus Stickning knitwear cottage industry.

Between interviews I of course had to hit:

yarn barn

The Yarn Barn!

Check out my haul:

100_1096

Ok, yes, not THAT much, but I didn't have much room to bring stuff back with me. I scored a really purpley skein (100gs) of Sockotta, a hank of Berroco Cotton Twist--that they balled for me at the store (!!!), and Fiber Trends seashore shawl pattern (it came in the page protector like that--how cool!)

I love the color of the Cotton Twist:

cotton twist

I think this may become a Dream Swatch in the future.

On Saturday after I checked out of my hotel, I had a few hours to kill. I found an open air mall near the airport. They had a Half Price Books there. What a cool store! I bought an old copy of a book called The Book of Knitting and Crochet. I don't have any stitch dictionaries, and while it may be no Walker, look what I found inside the book:

book score

That's an old 80's-ish looking skein wrapper, half of a letter from what I'm assuming was the woman who owned the book's daughter talking about potty-training her son and giving her and her husband's sweater measurements, a picture of three old people at a Halloween party, a photocopy of a dishcloth pattern, and then the coolest thing: a vintage Reynolds mohair sweater pattern. It appears to have come from a knitting kit, but honestly it's not a really ugly sweater. Well aside from being yellow and made of mohair. Ha ha! The book and everything the person who owned it before me left in there cost me a mere $5.98. Score!

The moral of that story--before you donate a book, check it for stuff you've stuck in there! This isn't the first time I've found stuff in used books. The most notable I think was a copy of In Cold Blood I bought that came complete with a snapshot of a guy firing a pistol on a beach somewhere. Given the subject matter of the book, I was a little creeped out by that picture.

Overall it was a good trip. I've got a better feel for the city and by the last day I was more comfortable driving around without worry of getting too lost. But it's good to be home with The Mad Scientist and Chunky again!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Glad you are back, and that the interviewing went well for you!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

I'm glad you had a good time! Isn't Yarn Barn a trip? It's like the ONLY place to buy yarn in the whole huge city.

Half Price Books is the greatest place evah. I wish we had one here! We cleaned up on Thomas the Tank Engine books when we were there.

1:07 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oh that Sockotta is beautiful! I haven't seen that colorway! And the cotton twist is yummy too. I love that stuff.

So what are you making the shawl out of?

1:55 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Had a good trip to Michigan, and thought of all the MI knitties that I interact with online!

I bought only sock yarn on my trip too....hmmm.

Good luck finding a house. That can be the hardest part of moving!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

Welcome home, I personally love the yellow sweater!

10:00 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Welcome back! Glad the interviews went well. Fingers crossed it leads to a job offer!

2:40 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

I hope something comes of the interviews.

You look just about ready to wilt in that heat.

I stick stuff in books all the time and forget about it and think it's hilarious what you found in it.

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home