Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Apartment (And A Little Bit Of Knitting)

Ok voyeurs, here you go! Just a warning--this is a really picture heavy post. But that's only a bad thing if you're like me and have dialup ;0)

Let us start with the outside of the apartment:

downsteps

We're that door on the bottom right of the screen. It's an odd setup. As you can see, we're sunken in (tornadorific?) but if you go to the back patio--we're level with the ground again.

Now, imagine The Mad Scientist and I maneuvering large furniture down these twisty things!

upsteps

Did I mention it was in the 90's that day?

I took Chunky aside before we cracked open the back of the truck and told him that any words he heard coming out of mommy and daddy's mouths as we were moving were not to be repeated!!!

Just a quick note about these stairs. They stink. Why do they stink? Our neighbors have dogs. Large dogs. At least two. They scream at them to stop barking every time me and Chunky are coming inside. Thank god they only have dogs and not kids. What pisses me off about these people is that they let their dogs crap under the stairs. Ok, sure no one walks there, but when there's doggie poo baking in the hot afternoon sun, every time I come home or go outside my front door I'm met with that splendiferous odor. One time I even had the pleasure of opening my kitchen blinds to find them allowing their dog to pop a squat right under my kitchen window. Delicious. If they owned a house and let their dog shit willy nilly all over the yard, that's fine. But people need to grasp the concept of communal property and pick up their shit. I'm tossing around the idea of dumping Squeaky and Springs's litterbox under the steps if they really start to piss me off. I love being a passive agressive bitch!

Moving on...here's our living room:

living room

The dining room/kitchen:

kitchendining

And yes, I'm aware I can't hang a straight picture!

Chunky's room:

chunky'sroom

Complete with Chunky!

And finally the bathroom:

bathroom

One thing I love about this new bathroom is that there's room under the sink to stick the catbox. See that green thingy off to the bottom left? That's actually a a pair of bamboo placemats I bought at Wally's World for $2/ea, glued together and velcroed onto the cabinet lip. It creates a little "door" to the catboxes, gives them a little privacy to attain that "faraway stare" that they get when they go, and I don't have to look at kitty poo.

Wait! I forgot the "backyard"!

deer

Yup, complete with deer and tennis court (another place people take their dogs to shit actually). The deer blew my mind--we're in San Antonio--it's pretty metropolitan. The Mad Scientist actually spotted him first the first week we were here, but Chunky and me nearly run her over in the parking lot a few nights ago.

Notice I didn't show you a picture of my washer/dryer hookups like I mentioned would be in this apartment. Apparently this place doesn't believe in correct advertising on the web. I think I've ranted enough on this post so I won't get into it. I'm just glad I didn't have access to my own washer/dryer before living here and had to go BACK to communal stranger pubic hair mixing in washers and dryers.

You'll also note I didn't show you our bedroom. Right now it's just a room. No bed. I left the 30+ year old bed The Mad Scientist and I had up in Lansing with him. He'll toss it when he finally gets his butt down here. We ordered a new bed on Thursday July 6. It won't be here until July 29. So I'm sleeping on the sofa. Yeah, that doesn't suck immensely.

Ok, onto some knitting!!!

I've made some progress on Soleil, but I've reached the point where you start dividing it and working in the straight for the arm and neckhole and I'm not really "getting" the instructions. So here she sits all lumpy and ugly:

lumpysoleil

Before we left MI I started the Saturday Market Bag from the June edition of Magknits. Meh, I wasn't impressed. I did the however many repeats of the pattern it said to do, but it still turned out too small. Of course I also decided to double the amount of repeats for one panel so I could merely fold the bag over and instead of seaming 3 sides I only had to seam 2. It holds Chunky's nap blankie for preschool just fine though, so it serves a purpose. And yes, crummy picture I know!

saturday market bag

Another thing I did before I left MI was I bought 10 skeins of handspun lace weight tussah silk online. Gack. What a nightmare! A.) it's an ugly brown-twine color B.) it sort of feels like twine and C.) it's a bitch to ball up. The stuff sticks to itself (and any hangnails/dry skin you might have on your hands) I actually only have 8 skeins and this ball left. I tried to ball the first skein and had to toss it because it became too tangled. Yuck. What a mess. I don't know what I'm going to do with this crap:

tussah silk

It's not that purple in real life--the lawnchair gave it that cast.

And finally! I'm working on my Bitchin' Mittens submission. I will only give you a blurry snippet of them sofar.

bitchinmitten

They're nothing fancy, but they're centered around a theme. I'm using the yarn my first CASP Sherry gave me from a thrift store sweater she frogged (and I koolaid dyed).

That's all for now! Thanks Rain for those links to office openable programs. One of them wasn't compatible (I've got Windows 98 on this fossil) so I'm going to check out the other. And Sarah--I'm still mulling what to do with the llama. Right now I've only taken it out to pet lovingly and smell (is that weird??). I've got to find the perfect project for it!

11 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Wow! The deer is real? I thought for sure at first it was one of those kitchy lawn ornaments. Deer freak me out. As soon as I see one, I'm on edge the whole rest of the drive to where ever it is that I'm headed.

The apartment looks nice though! For an internet find, it's not a bad deal. I'm jealous of the space under the sink. I'd love a perfect place for the litterbox.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Wow a real deer! Cool!

And you should totally tell the apartment managers about the neighbors dog poo. They should be picking it all up since all of the areas are communal areas.

Nope! not weird to fondle and smell the yarn! I do it all the time! The llama will tell you what it wants to be on day.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yuk on the poop! What Sarah said too!

Soleil is looking good too! Glad you are settled! Neat fix to the litterbox hiding! I too wished I had a little hideyhole like that! :)

9:52 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Soleil is looking great so far.

Lol, I didn't spot Chunky in there until you said something, he looks happy enough with his new room.

Eww on the dog poo front. I'd complain since the germs in it can send children blind and linger in the soil for years. Gah! I hate irresponsible people.

3:03 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

The apartment looks really nice, and the communal garden (and the deer is cute).

But, yeah, you have to report the poo. That's just nasty.

4:30 AM  
Anonymous the kitchener bitch said...

Congrats on your new home and on the deer pal!

Don't give up on the tussah yet - it's probably the way it is because it's been overspun. If you skein it up and soak it,you might be able to release a little bit of the twist... get a second opinion though, just in case I'm crazy.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Marie-Michèle said...

About dog poo under the stairs: yes, of course, you should mention it to management, but that might "offend" the neighbors who might start yelling at you on top of yelling at their dogs... anyway, I'd suggest you buy some animal repellent and spread it under the stairs and other communal areas that shouldn't be used to dog-poo-ey ends!... even if your neighbors are too lazy to take their dogs elsewhere, the animals will not accept to go there... I've use a brand called "Boundary" (how toughful!?) and it worked very well to keep cats and dogs away from my flower beds... If you want to use "homemade" repellent recipes, you can find plenty on the web, but keep in mind that anything involving tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper can cause problems in areas where children can play... i've had to learn that the hard way at a friend's cottage, once...

9:39 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Your home looks wonderful--and is such a short time!

LOVE the kitty bathroom. Brilliant idea! If wonder if I can do that in my bathroom....

4:34 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

Good job movin in! Nice deer, my dear, and Chunky looks happy too. How is the midwest gal adjusting to southern life (example:dry grass?)

10:33 AM  
Blogger mf said...

Great APT.. Love the hiding area for the kitty... So kwel! nice deer but odd espeically that close.... Great color for soliel!! What is it?? Now that silk? hmmm I'd definately use it.. Sorry to hear all your frustration with it!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Lystessa said...

In our city (maybe the whole state) there's actually a health ordinance against not picking up after your dog. There are still people who don't and they get away with it b/c they're sneaky... but you already know where the perpetrators live so you can bust them easy!

Course, I like Marie-Michele's idea a lot too!

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home