Sunday, July 30, 2006

"Art"

I use that term loosely here. You could just say "decoration" in the case of what I'm about to show you. Art, to me at least, carries a heavier connotation than what I think most wall adornments do. To me, "art" is made with a purpose in mind, to evoke some type of emotion not normally felt in the normal day to day humdrummings of human life. You might have a different view, and that's cool.

So without further adeiu I give you the stuff that hangs on my walls.

We'll start with Chunky's room:

Bugs

This is Bugs. He normally doesn't wear that pinwheel. He was made for me by my now deceased Grandpa. "Bugs" is a derivative of one of the nicknames my old man gave me as a kid. Grandpa gave him to me when The Mad Scientist and I were passing through IL on our way to MI six years go. Bugs is supposed to go outside. My Grandpa did a bunch of these plywood yard ornaments. I think my Grandma still has a pretty intricate nativity scene he made.

Moving on in the living room we have:

Sue Coleman

... a Sue Coleman print. Sue Coleman is an artist living in the Vancouver, Canada area. Even though totems are mainly a Tlingit custom (the Tlingits are a tribe of Alaskan Natives living in Southeast Alaska), when you live in Southeast Alaska, it has a totally different vibe than the rest of Alaska--it's got an Alaskan-Canadian-Upper Seattle feel all of its own. So I don't get too upset when a Canadian makes a living off of Alaskan peoples.

I obtained this print from my 1/4 Tlingit college roommate. She's gave this as a present to her boyfriend (also a Tlingit) back when we were roomies. He later got drunk and tried to burn down his apartment and she dumped his ass when he was in the hospital and repossessed this print. She had one exactly like it and didn't need two of them, especially one with ex-boyfriend ju-ju attached to it, so she gave it to me. I've got a nice Springer story to go with my art too! We're still very good friends and occasionally still laugh about that jackass she dated.

Moving on to the bedroom (newly decorated!):

TMS side

This is The Mad Scientist's side of the bed/room. Can you tell he's got a thing for wolves? He even has two pieces of body "art" that feature wolves. That print in the wood frame is another Sue Coleman I got him for the first Christmas we were dating. That furry head thing is actually a coyote. It kind of creeps me out (I'm not a big fur person). But one of his closer sisters got that for him for Christmas years before we dated, so I guess I can't raise a stink.

Finally we have my dining room. These used to hang in my kitchen in Lansing (yeah I know they're crooked--sue me!) but they look good in my dining room here.

Food

This might fulfill next week's assignment of taking a shot of your food as well. From top to bottom, and left to right we have: cornbread stuffing; chocolate cheese pie with an Oreo crust; an uncooked stuffed Thanksgiving turkey; crockpot beef stew; a summer lattice tart; and what I've dubbed the "Kiss of Death Cake" (there's a story there too.) For some reason I really like to take pictures of pretty, new, or exotic food I've prepared. I decided to take a select few of these pictures and on Photoshop, remove all the color and just highlight select areas on the picture in crazy-ass not-true to nature colors. Then I printed them out giving them an extra large white border and mounted them on some black illustration board.

Here we have a closeup of the first thing I ever made in my crockpot:

Crock Pot

There's actually a lot more stuff hanging around my house, but I tried to pick the stuff that seemed the most interesting.

I'm loving looking at everyone else's art. After viewing Turtlegirl's bathroom art, I'm inspired to create my own bathroom art--that's the one room in this apartment that's lacking in the decoration department.

12 Comments:

Blogger Stacie said...

looks like yer gettin moved in! Nice M! No pets for me, thanks, not a fan of mounds of poo! Still cleaning them of baby's butt. Lovin the new bed too!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Love the idea of taking the color out of the food pics and highlighting only a portion of the pic. Hmmmm...something to do this week? :)

2:14 PM  
Blogger Libi said...

Your husband should meet my mother. she's wolf mad also.

I love the food art, but, hey, you still have to cook something, right? :)

3:44 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

The bear aside, my first thought with the Sue Coleman painting was "Emily Carr!!" I grew up in British Columbia, went to UVic, and lived in the Emily Carr residence for two years.

6:40 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

OK the coyote would totally creep me out too what with the Little Orphan Annie eyes and whatnot. I don't know how you do it.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I love your food art! That's a great idea.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

I love the dining room art, it's all the better for being your pwn photos.

Crooked pictures have charm!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

I adore your food art. Bezzie you are an inspirational person. very cool.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

I'm gonna take pictures of food now.

9:26 PM  
Blogger mf said...

love bugs bunny!

8:00 AM  
Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Why does the term "bathroom art" scare me? Oh yeah, because of the time my older kid decorated a wall with poo.

4:52 PM  
Blogger zibibbo said...

Hey I dig the dining room art! Very cool, never thought of doing that. You're inspiring!

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home