Sunday, July 23, 2006

One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other

Because I'm a WIPaphobe, I picked up Soleil again. I'm Frankensteining a different top to it. It's just a simple back and forth neckhole and straps right?

Here's the "problem"--when I stop knitting in the round and start knitting back and forth straight, my stitches start to look like this:

WTF

Hm. I've noticed my socks are like this too when I break from knitting in the round to do the heel flaps. I'm not doing anything weird. I'm knitting one side, and purling the other. Any ideas? I don't think it will be too noticable to the untrained eye, and even so, it starts at a decent place in the finished garment so where, if noticable, it won't look too "off."

Following Elizabeth's suggestion on a question I posed on the knittyboard, I also knitted up a quick swatch of that tussah silk and stuck it in my wash.

Tussah Post Wash

It's definately a lot softer. And it bloomed (or pilled depending how you want to look at it) nicely. Nine skeins of this stuff. What the hell am I going to make??

The ends of this swatch loosened the twist on the tussah. Just randomly fussing with them, I'll bet tussah is easy to spin. It holds the twist well. Speaking of spinning, now that I'm settled, I figured I'd take some of the money I had in Paypal from selling a duplicate digital camera dock on ebay to buy some fiber. I ordered 4 oz. of shoot, I can't remember what kind of wool now, from The Yarn Tree. I haven't received it yet, but let me tell you--wow. I got an email today from Paypal informing me that $3.00 had been refunded to my account with an explanation from the owner that the package was so light, it didn't take the whole shipping cost I was charged to mail. Seriously, you don't find that kind of merchant around much anymore! Anyway, once it comes, I'm going to dust off my spindle and take another crack at spinning. We'll see how it goes.

Finally, I leave you with two obligatory Chunky pictures. Yesterday we went to the Alamo.

100_1366

This time we got to go inside and look at the gardens. It was too crowded to enjoy them properly. Chunky wanted to go inside the chapel, but they had a sign prohibiting beverages. There was no way in 100 degree heat I was abandoning my water bottle.

So we went home and had some ice cream instead.

Chocolate Goatee

And yes, I did bring my child to the Alamo wearing a Canadian Mountie t-shirt. Ha ha!

9 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Your stitches look twisted. Are you sure you aren't a combination knitter or something? Only maybe you aren't compensating when it comes to your purl?

1:11 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Gah! I know! They do look twisted! And as for combination knitting--I've got no clue. I can never figure out if I knit english or continental...hm, so maybe I am combo. How do you unteach an old dog old tricks??

1:27 PM  
Blogger Lystessa said...

My friend used to twist just her purl stitches and her flat knitting looked cross-hatched the same way. But maybe they'll all even out with some blocking?

I have a similar problem trying to make my K2Tog and SSK match on the edges...One side will be perfect and slant exactly the way I want. The other side will have severe cross-hatching.

Good luck for the final result! At least it looks pretty as it is.

6:17 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Is your working yarn coming out of your left hand? That's a continental hold. And it doesn't matter anyway, if you have your yarn in your right hand, if you're wrapping your purl stitches differently. (I wrap mine going under the needle and over it - so clockwise rather than counter) Just remember to pay close attention to your knit stitches on the way back through. They're probably seated with the "leading" leg on the back of the needle rather than the front. YOu can fix that just by knitting into the back of the stitch.

6:53 PM  
Blogger mf said...

looks like your knitting through the back of the st instead of the front.. thats why your sts look twisted when you knit flat

try putting the needle in through the front of the st instead of the back to draw up the yarn

7:12 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Yeah, those are twisted stitches.

Congrats at the new job. It sounds awesome. Movie time at work? That beats all!

I'm enjoying your adventures.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hey, we're all a little twisted, right? Take comfort in the fact that twisted stockinette is stronger than the typical kind... although is does use more yarn!

BTW, congrats on the new job, apartment, and taking that oh-so-cute Chunky to the Alamo in his Mountie shirt ;-)

9:15 PM  
Blogger KnitAbout said...

not sure waht you're doing but I think it looks great that way.

love the t-shirt! hehe.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

What Soapy said.

Chunky looks such cute with all that ice cream over his face.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home