Monday, July 24, 2006

Twisted Sister

Well I did have a cute, well drafted blog entry all ready to go, and then this piece of crap computer froze on me. Sigh. I miss my husband and his computer! Ha ha!

So yup. They were twisted stitches. Thanks to all who helped me see the err of my ways and discuss counter vs. clockwise wrappings on knits and purls. What I did was reverse my wraps on both my knits and purls. I still knit thru the back loop though. I'm not changing that habit. I think it's working as you can see in this blurry picture:

maybe its right now?

Moving on, yesterday afternoon Chunky and I went to a Half Price Books that Penny Karma mentioned to me. I visited one when I was on my interview, but she suggested one that's pretty close to where we live. I scored these two books for a mere $11:

books

I love the Knitting Languages book--it gives translations of knitting lingo from Danish, Icelandic, Italian, French, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Japanese and British to English. My favorite "British" to "English" translation has got to be: "Make One" in British means "Increase" in English. You don't say!!!

My roving also came in the mail today from The Yarn Tree:

roving

4 ozs. of Alpaca/Blue Face Leicester. We'll see how bad I suck with the old drop spindle. I figure I need to try it at least another time before I give up on it completely.

Finally, I've got a new blog to stalk! I entered sassenach's "Bust My Stash" blog contest and was a runner up! Click on over--she even made a video of her pulling the winning names. If only I had a computer that could run non-dialup, I'd watch it myself!

9 Comments:

Blogger Penny Karma said...

YAY! YAY! YAY!

Oh, how I miss Half Price Books. And Taco Cabana. And fire ants.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I twisted my stitches as well for a long time, til someone pointed it out to me. I couldn't figure out why my stitches looked different from everyone elses.

And alpaca...mmmm...I'll wait awhile to see how good I can get on the spindle before attempting my favorite fiber...

9:36 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

YAY! Roving!

You will be assimilated into the spinning collective! mwah ha ha!

And then, you too can use technical terms like sproinginess and floof!

That dye book looks cool!

10:41 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Cool, your stitches look pretty good! And hey, if you ever want that "herringbone" effect on a future garment, you know what to do.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Cool books. Let us know how the dyeing one is. I have some white cotton I want to dye, and I am sure that something in my kitchen could turn it into another color, after all if I was wearing it, it wouldn't stay white!

12:28 PM  
Blogger mf said...

looking good! nice roving!

4:14 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Love the stitches!

Great score on the books--if I need to learn a knitting term in English, I'll know who to call on!

10:21 PM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

I love that - "British" to "English". Ha ha.
I'm guessing that the book was published in North America.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

British to English! The nerve! ;)

Great price on the books.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home