Saturday, August 19, 2006

¬°Broma o Regalo!

I used to know the little chant that kids in Mexico say when they do their version of trick or treating. It was like four lines long and quite a mouthful. Alas, I have forgotten it.

Where the hell am I going with this? I joined the Day of the Dead Knitalong and finished my first doll (and probably last--Springs barfed on the pattern and I don't have a printer anymore) a few nights ago.

Yeah I got bored last night and had to pose him all cutesy:

con sarape y luz

Pretty rough. But like I said earlier, that's partly what drove me to this KAL. I love the folk arty look of Day of the Dead paraphernalia.

Here he is in the dark. Oooo! Spooky!

sin serape y luz

The KAL was using a doll pattern out of the summer issue of Knit 1. Since I didn't have that magazine and well, I thumbed through the mag earlier this summer and didn't see much else I liked (and I'm not buying a $6 magazine for one pattern), I used the Bad JuJu doll pattern from The Anticraft. You're also supposed to make them to honor someone. I figured I'd pick my most recently dead relative.

This doll is based on the one time I met The Mad Scientist's grandpa. It was shortly after we were married and he dragged me to his family reunion up in Montana where his grandpa and grandma lived on this pretty large plot of land with this kick-ass garden and cherry orchard. One afternoon we were all sitting on his back porch chit chatting or something while the nieces and nephews ran around in the back yard. I can't remember who spotted it first, but a baby bird had fallen from a birdhouse on a pole he had mounted near the perimeter of his yard. Apparently the ants had started to attack the baby bird (DAMN ANTS! I HATE THEM! But that's a different entry!). The kids debated whether they should touch the bird because of that old wives' tale that states if you touch a baby bird, the mother will smell the human on it and quit feeding it.

The Mad Scientist's grandpa took charge and gently picked up the bird in his gnarled hands and tossed it towards the birdhouse. Sure enough the little bird flew! And his mom accepted him back into the birdhouse! I guess since I only ever met him once that's the one thing about him that I remember the most.

He died after a year and a half (or so) battle with colon cancer on July 12. (Apparently that's a long time to last with colon cancer if you're not actively treating it like he decided to do). He was 89.

What's kind of weird, is right around the time he was on his deathbed, or shoot, even really close to the day he died (The Mad Scientist didn't get the email about his death until a week after the fact), I was on the phone with The Mad Scientist. He was outside talking to us and encountered a baby bird that had fallen from his nest in the lamp above the backdoor to our old apartment complex. When I hung up with him that night, he was going to try to pick up the bird and get him back to his nest.

Cosmic.

8 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Freaky. This is cosmic.

Cool doll.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Red Dog Knits - Kristi and Otis said...

Love! Love! Love the doll! and wahat a great story about grandfather - truly the spirit of Dias de los Muertos!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

Great story! Old people know stuff! Living in cities, I never knew any kids or old people. Now I know a ton of both. And if ever I see a baby bird lost from it's nest, I will not hesitate to toss it back to its nest!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

That's a great story. Love the doll!

2:48 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm planning on checking out wheels at Rhinebeck in October. I will either leave there with one, or order one as soon as I get home. :)

9:26 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

What a great story. The doll looks fantastic and I love the atmospheric tealight pic.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Cool doll!

I love the pic of him in the dark. Nice!

I miss my grandparents so. Cosmic, is that I'm planning a post about my grandma this week too!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Great post! Viva los muertos! ...or something.

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home