Friday, August 25, 2006

I'm not feeling the love.

Back in um, January? November? (I probably deleted the blog post due to prying eyes.) I bought a drop spindle. I "spun" the sample roving it came with (merino). Wow. No sparks. And the final product sucked. Hard. No worries, every first try at anything sucks. I put the spindle away.

About a month ago, I decided to order some Blue Face Leicester/Alpaca blend from the Yarn Tree with some random money I had in Paypal from the sale of miscellaneous junk over ebay that I didn't want to haul to Texas. Sumptious stuff. It was soft, alpaca and sheep smelly--plain delicious.

I spun a nice little skanklet (skein + hanklet) with it. And another, and another. Whee. They were getting better. But then last night I spun this:

blech

Blah. I think my fling is over. The sex was good for a while, but it's getting routine and boring now. I'm not discouraged by this latest spinnage. I just think it's a reflection of my mood towards spindling right now--I'm not interested.

Don't get me wrong, when I defect to Canada and start my self-sufficient potato farm/commune, this skill will come in handy, but right now I'm just asking myself "why?" What am I going to do with dozens of little skanklets of this or that fiber lying around?

All you can really do is this:

godawful swatches

Oh yeah. It's so over.

Anyone want a few ounces of corridale and BFL/alpaca?

7 Comments:

Blogger Stacie said...

I know a spinner who doesn't knit. Does that seem weird?? Love oregano, and Texas probably grows it well! The quilts are beeeutiful too!

9:27 PM  
Blogger mf said...

The quiots are beautiful! Hmm keep trying the spinning, it just takes practice, I used all my first yarns and made a couple really huge totes for people who helped me. Of course I'd be happy to spin the BFL/Alpaca for you ;o)

9:42 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

It really takes a few tries to get the muscle memory going. My first tries looked just like that.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

It's not that I'm frustrated I'm not that good at it (I've spun better than what's pictured here), I'm frustrated with what to do with the final product? What do you do with five feet skanklets of handspun? I feel like I own a car that can only drive two blocks at a time. What good is that?

10:18 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Not everything is for everybody. I feel the same thing about sock knitting -- OK, but not the ecstasy everyone else seems to feel. If you don't enjoy spinning, there are plenty of other things for you to do. Like knitting or just buying your yarn pre-spun.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

I don't feel the spinning love either.

Glue? Sticky tape?

3:00 PM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

xobscura from knittyboard might use the bits in her knitting as art project.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home