Friday, August 18, 2006

The Larger Picture

Oh the suspense! Surrrre. Like I said yesterday, I think Libi guessed most of these (or came the closest)!

Here's #1:

topper

Our wedding cake topper. Of course I made it. My Old Man joked that it looked like something they'd have at a funeral on top of a casket. Ha!

#2:

paddywhacker

My Chinese Paddywhacker. Actually I'm not sure what it's officially called. My mother had a friend living in China during the last Year of the Boar. Knowing my affinity for all things pig, she brought this back. Apparently it's used to make a rice mold--I think??? I want to say they make these rice cakey molded things on New Year's Eve. I honestly don't know.

#3:

bank

Continuing with the pig theme here--number three was the cork to my piggy bank. A close high school gave me this for my sixteenth birthday. Shortly thereafter we parted ways (she got married and graduated from high school--at 16!). It's actually just a clay pot tipped on its side with a pig face made near the opening and some stubby little legs attached.

And finally, #4:

fan

Most of you got this right. It's the mini fan in Chunky's room. I've had this since I was 19 and used to work the basement of an office of a military office in Alaska. They don't have A/C in Alaska. This thing has the dust of four states on it now! There's no way to pull it apart to clean.

Now I'm off to research IRAs. I got the paperwork in the mail for my old work 401K today. It has become blantantly clear I know jack about investing money fpr retirement. Why bother? Social Security is projected (at this point in time anyway) to dry up a year before I'm old enough to qualify. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact I'll be flipping burgers at McDonalds or tearing tickets at a movie theater when I'm 65.

In the meantime what the hell's the difference between a traditional IRA and an individual IRA? For once I think this is something I'm going to have to actually interact with people to figure out how to do and won't be able to do it all over the internet.

5 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

A traditional IRA and a Roth IRA, you mean? A traditional IRA, you take the money out before you pay taxes on it now, it grows tax deferred, and when you retire, it becomes taxable income then.

A Roth IRA, you do not subtract the amount of your deposits from your current taxable income, so you are paying income taxes on that money now. It grows tax-exempt and it's tax-free when you take it out in the future. I went with the Roth IRAs because I have a rosy optimism that I will be needing a tax break more when I'm retired than I do now.

For my IRA accounts, I put it in the Vanguard Index 500 mutual fund. I did it online, it was very easy. I don't want to follow my accounts and worry. Index funds are tied to the ups and downs of the market as a whole, in this case the S &P 500. (I think. Back to homework for me!)

For my husband's work, 401k plans, we chose a bunch of investing options that seemed balanced to us. Those the employer matches up to a certain percentage of our contributions. They grow tax-deferred and come off of pre-tax income.

Any thing else I can tell you?

8:15 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I love the cake topper. I think you're the cutest thing I've ever seen!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

OMG! That is such a cutie pie picture! You kids are too cute, a coupla milk drinkers if ever I saw 'em! I know nothing about inveating, haven't you heard, the new retirement is working!

11:19 PM  
Blogger mf said...

thats a cute topper. I think your the cutest couple!

8:41 AM  
Blogger zibibbo said...

One is trying to liberate all of Ireland, the other just an individual Irish person.

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home