Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Two Updates in One Day?

Yup. That's right. I've been sans computer for less than a week, so I feel like a junkie on a high right now. I even got the highspeed internet to work. Holy crap! It's so fast! I feel like I've traded in my Model T for a stock car!

However, with my internet being down I did finish and start some new things.

On Friday I finished my Soleil while watching Brokeback Mountain:

soleil

I messed up the crocheted edging because I was so involved in the movie. What can I say? Man on man love is distracting for your first time crocheting. I have to admit I actually cried when I saw that movie (I think because The Mad Scientist isn't around and I don't have to worry about being mocked?). But the weird thing is, I cried when they were showing the scenery scenes as well. I know they didn't film that in Wyoming (I've been to Wyoming, it really didn't look anything like that!), but it reminded me a lot of home. Must be close to a full moon or something.

Here I am in all my stumpy torsoed square headed glory modeling it:

good lord

I had some issues with rolling at the bottom. I was able to block out most of the roll and by the end of the day Monday when I actually wore it the roll had started to come back just a little. Oh and you'll notice I didn't do the v-neck like the pattern originally called for. I started free-knitting it when I got to the neck/armholes. I didn't understand the directions as printed and quite honestly I like a scoop neck more than a v-neck anyway!

Third time was a charm with the Texas Trio of Thrifty Tank Tops. And I am now a Sinfonia convert! That stuff was wonderful!! 100% mercerized cotton heaven!

Next up, I started a log cabin block:

log cabin

It's only half done in this picture, but I had to capture it in the early evening sun. I'll be doing a jajillion blocks like this and sewing them together as a nice little afghan for our new bed. I'm working with TLC Cotton Plus. My CASP must have known I have a thing for that yarn. Now if only I could find it at the dollar store like she did!

And finally, after seeing these pop up on blogs everywhere, I had to make a Dream Swatch from The Garter Belt:

dream swatch

Check out that stockinette. Does it look twisted to you? I knit it exactly the way I always knit--through the back loop. Now why when I knit in the round does it turn out twisted, but when I knit like that flat it looks normal? Huh.

It's too short to be a scarf, but it's oh so beautiful. I made it out of that skein of Berocco Cotton Twist I picked up at the Yarn Barn when I came down to interview here. I might have to stop by there again soon. But I just shelled out a pretty penny for this computer, so maybe not.

Ok, enough verbal diarrhea for one day. Tomorrow I'll be showing off my Bitchin' Mittens. I finished those too, but they deserve their own post.

14 Comments:

Blogger cpurl17 said...

That top is so cute--and even cuter on you!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Soleil looks fantastic on you, it's such a pretty colour and really suits you.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Your Soleil is awesome! Great color - and very cute on you!

I am guessing that your knitting in the round is twisted for the same reason mine once was. I used to wrap my purls the wrong way. When I was knitting flat, I corrected for it by knitting through the back loop, so it was a non-issue (Not that I knew what I was doing at the time). In the round, though, the stitches are never purled, so my knitting through the back loop twisted them.

It's not an actual problem, you just have to be able to look at the stitch on the needle and know when to knit through the front, and when to knit through the back.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Soleil looks fantastic!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

I like the Soleil. Looking good!!! Your dream swatch is purty too!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

OOoohhh! I love the top! And, I think it looks AWESOME on you! I love the scoop neck mod too.

Beautiful. Makes me want one!

Now I need one.....

10:28 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Great work on Soleil! I was looking at the first picture and thinking how nice a pattern it really is and when I got to the part where you said you skipped the V-neck, I understood why I never had that reaction before.

Isn't high speed internet amazing? The first day when you just upgraded from dial-up is like a revelation!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Awesome soleil. Great color and flatters you!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

Love the soleil! Just had to chime in on it. Congrats on the spiffy new computer too (I need one of those!)

1:23 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

You and the top look gorgeous! I'm envious, I'v always wanted to make a soleil.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Lazuli said...

Your Soleil looks great! Wonderful color!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Um, OK, hate to say this, but I think I do see some twisted stitches. On next to the last row (closest to the bottom of the photo, the pink stitches on the left, for example?

7:20 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Ha ha! Yeah probably Sherry! When I was knitting it I kept thinking about twisting them and tried not to--I'm sure a couple snuck in!

7:21 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Finally caught up! (Sorry this comment is on the earliest post and not the most recent but meh, there ya go.)

I love Soleil! It turned out wonderfully! And the log cabin blanket looks like it will be pretty as well. I'll bet that'll make good lunchtime knitting. And I like the colors in the dream swatch too!

Hmm...as for the macros, dunno what the first one is - probably a hat or something (I haven't read the comments on that one yet) but I'm pretty sure the other two are beaver related.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home