Monday, August 21, 2006

Will She Float Or Will She Sink Now? And Why My Mom Rocks.

First up! Will it float?

Well faithful peeps--Chunky came home with the answers!

he

Today was the first day of the "no more summer screwing off" curriculum and they started doing real lesson plans. So yes dear peeps, because I pay $117/week to send Chunky to Pre K, I'll let his findings take center stage:

homework

A boat: Floats
A pinecone: Floats
A playdough boat: Floats
A paperclip: Well it looks like he didn't have time to document this one, but he informs me that it sinks.

I cracked up when he brought this home! The moral? A bunch of grown women are blogging pre kindergarden assignments! Ha ha!

Now onto why my mom rocks.

When we moved, I came across two milk crates of The Mad Scientist's t-shirts from what I have dubbed his "Glory Days." During his Glory Days (i.e. high school), The Mad Scientist ran track and cross country. He amassed a collection of race t-shirts from both school meets and races around Anchorage. He told me to toss them, but then I remembered how back in the day my mom would make commissioned t-shirt quilts for people.

So I mailed them all to her, annotated the ones he really loved (the t-shirt with the running class of 1996 roster on it) and told her to go to town. Here's what she came up with:

100_1615

She just tied it. I didn't want her to get too fancy on his butt. Besides, The Mad Scientist didn't grow up around quilts like I did--tied quilts impress him. Hee hee.

However, she did quilt in his initials:

100_1616

And the years he ran on the teams:

100_1617

Cool huh? But it gets better! She surprised me with this:

100_1618

An awesome ladybug quilted wallhanging!

When I flipped it over I found the inscription:

100_1619

My mom has quite the fabric stash and has a little sewing room in the basement of the house I grew up in that is probably equivalent to the size of a decent sized bathroom in most houses. It's stuffed to the gills with fabric. Knitters with large stashes you can relate right? There's just enough room in there for her to sew comfortably. There's not much room for a second person in there.

Anyway, after Saddam Hussein was captured in his spider hole, my dad took to calling mom's sewing room "the spider hole." The name stuck and now she's thinking about starting a business called Spider Hole Quilts. I introduced her to Etsy and I think she ought to go for it.

And yes, I realize that the little bug she drew a picture of on there only has six legs, I'll pretend it's a ladybug to go with the ladybug theme!

14 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

What a great mom! I have a fabric stash, too. That was my first stash. I still get in trouble in fabric stores sometimes.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

That is bitchin' cool! (both the pre-k lesson AND the cool mom bit).

My mommy taught me to always have a small stash of fabric in case it's the only way to fix something. Duck cloth while I was sailing, COLORFUL Hawaiian prints when I was teaching, and now icky polyester bits that I'm playing office slave...

8:59 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Your Mom Rocks!

Umm..comparing our floating assignment to the highly scientific effort of the Pre-K class is probably an insult to the Pre-K'ers, LOL!

9:27 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oh wow! What an awesome quilt! My sister totally needs to have something like that done with all her frickin' Cross Country t-shirts from back in the day. (And she graduated high school in '90 - so you can imagine the wear on 'em.) Wow.

And that is too funny. Maybe Chunky should pick our next activity.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

It's clear where your handcrafted cleverness comes from!

I particularly am amused by the six-legged spider and the fact that the name Spider Hole relates to Saddam Hussein.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Did the grinder and hoola-hoop girls from The Late Show with Letterman teach his "Will it float" class?

9:32 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

That is so neat of your mom to make the quilt for your husband, and the lady bug quilt is so cute.

You have a super mom!

10:18 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Cool, very nice quilts. Your mom is great.

Did chunky share with his class that you were playing Will it Float - the Home Edition?

12:52 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

heee...too funny that the blogstalking is a P-K assignment!

Nice quilt! What an awesome MIL for the MadS!

And gorgeous ladybugs!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Mad Scientist's quilt is awesome. You have a wonderful mom!

We blogged pre-K curriculum....WAY too funny!!

4:00 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:08 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Oh man, I remember the "Float or Sink" experiments. That college class was hard. I don't know why liberal art students even have to take science.

-T.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Nell said...

I remember doing that experiment too! I specifically remember a wooden block and a polystyrene cup...

That quilt is awesome. Before my grandmother died she was an awesome quilter (and knitter!). her quilts are some of my most treasured things.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

That is awesome! I love the spider-hole quilts idea. My mom had a similarly tiny sewing room when I was a kid (would have been a walk in closet, but she decided to put a sewing machine in there) I loved that tiny little room.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home