Saturday, September 23, 2006

Cheap Thine Name is Bezzie

I hate winding balls (of yarn). But I also hate spending money. Especially after I check the bank account of a person who shall remain nameless and they are spending money like they are making more than a paltry $19K a year. But I digress.

What to do? I could go to Home Depot and buy a bunch of plywood and screws and dowels and make one of those homemade swifts you see on Craftster all the time, and use my Joann's 40% off coupon to buy a ball winder. Hm. Yes. I could do that. But that dear friends would be too rich for this ghetto chick's blood.

When I transfered my sweet little Buick's plates to Texas, to my horror I had to have two plates. Now in Michigan you only one plate in the back. Being the thrifty chica I am, I went and bought myself a $7.99 Black and Decker drill thinking I could drill holes in the front bumper to attach the front plate.

Um, yeah well it didn't do the job. In fact all I got out of it was a black mark on my front bumper where I tried to drill the first hole. (Who would have thought fiberglass was so damn hard to drill a hole into??) So I wired the plate to my bumper instead. Seems to be holding up quite well. But that left me with a $7.99 craptacular drill with not enough torque to drill holes in cheese. (I'm too cheap to buy Swiss).

Today it hit me what to do with the drill--behold!

Step 1:

100_1878

Save a few of those Angel Soft rolls. Poke the drill bit through on a portion of a roll horizontally. Trim down the width of the poked roll to fit inside the whole roll you have left.

Step 2:

100_1879

Slide the second (uncut) roll onto the bit. It should be snug and not slip around the poked roll.

Step 3:

100_1884

Find a skein of yarn you want to wind. In this case I was using 30 gms. of pure handspun wool obtained from a swap with Kate. Mmm...look at all those greens and golds (Let's go RAMS!)

Step 4:

100_1885

Borrow your son's Tinkertoys. (Do those look familiar Nik?)

Step 5:

100_1886

Construct yourself a ghetto tinkertoy "swift." Cat is optional. It wasn't as tight as a normal swift would be, but such are the things we forsake in the name of cheapness.

Step 6:

100_1888

Start winding baby!! Because this yarn was 100% pure wool, it was a little tough to get off the "swift" smoothly. No bother. I merely walked around the "swift" a few times loosening the yarn up from sticking to itself. A non 100% wool might have been a better choice to start with, but I still balled this stuff faster than I would have by hand!

Step 7:

100_1889

When you're done, it should look a little something like this.

Step 8:

100_1890

Finally, gently slip the ball off the tube, stick your original tag/skein wrapper in the middle of the ball and behold your cheaptastic yarn cakey goodness!

Now I've seen people that do this with kitchen handmixers as well. I was hesitant to try that because I nearly ruined my Kitchenaid handmixer trying to spin some yarn! Now I never said all my harebrained ideas worked that well!!

14 Comments:

Blogger Trillian42 said...

That? Is brilliant!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

In phase 2, you build a little tower out of tinkertoys and put the swift on a tinkertoy axle and let it spin while you wind! But yeah, what Trillian42 said: Brilliant!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

How cool, you clever, thrifty gal! :)

4:31 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

Holy cow!!!! You are a genius!!! The best thing I ever thought up involved a toilet-fix with shoelaces and, um, shoes (I think).

4:31 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Next time maybe put another dowel in the middle of the tinkertoy swift and put it in something so that it will twirl around as you spin.

Viva el Cheapo!

7:38 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Brilliant! Bezzie, again, you amaze me. And as a bonus, you posted a helluva yarno. That pic? Wow. Check you out with the fibery goodness.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous nikbudnik said...

Kaye, every time I think you cannot amaze me anymore, you do it again.
I wonder, what gene do I lack, that I am not as thrifty as you???

8:56 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Bezzie, I've seen it all now. I think you're becoming worthy of the mad title yourself.

What a fantastic idea.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Ingenious! Such a creative solution to your problem.
Not as cheap if you charge for labor, but heck, your own labor is your gift to yourself : )

7:17 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

You are brilliant!! I would have ended up with a tangled mess.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

You are awesome. I love the ghetto way of doing things!

9:52 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

O.M.G.!!! That is freaking brilliant! I love it! *running off to pee right now to use up some tp*

8:16 PM  
Blogger miss ewe said...

Flippin' genius!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Holy shit! (pardon my French) You are the Goddess of DIY! And now I have another thing to do with my drill besides screw things into my walls! Woo!

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home