Monday, September 11, 2006

Jaywalking Down Memory Lane

I'll post a picture of my Jaywalker just because I'm totally not feeling this pattern and I'm not sure if I'll finish the first sock let alone the second one.

amish jay walkin' pig

That's the standard Jaywalker pattern knit in Opal wool sock yarn. I'm not too impressed with Opal. It seems identical to Regia sock yarn but costs twice as much. Yes, I'll give you that some of the color schemes are cooler in the Opal line, but is that worth almost an extra $10 a pair of socks to me? No.

I'm such a cheap schmuck. Can you imagine what I'm going to be like when I'm 90? Listen to me bitch now about how expensive shit is! For the record, I didn't buy that Opal.

I am quite proud I figured out how to carry the design onto the top of the foot though. And the heel! My best heel ever!!! There will be NO holes where I picked up those stitches!

Well since I jumped on the Jaywalker bandwagon, I'll jump on the blogging bandwagon. Blogs all over are walking down memory lane about where they were on September 11, 2001.

Blah. I'd like to forget that day as much as anyone, but more because I was entering the third trimester of being pregnant with Chunky. I was entering the uber bitch stage as my old boss and The Mad Scientist can attest to.

I remember wearing my maroon maternity top. It was Tuesday. Every Tuesday was maroon top day. That's what having seven maternity tops will do to you. We wasted a lot of time that day glued to the TV over across the hall in Johnny Cochran (of Lansing's) office. I'm sure the economy took a hit from all the unproductiveness going on around the nation.

But instead of waxing poetic about that day in particular I'm going to give the Meandering faithful a little glimpse into some other dates in my personal history. T. can consider it an homage to her Atlanta journey travel log since I snubbed her in my celebrity post.

Before there was Random Meanderings, there was pen and paper. I've kept a journal/diary/ink meandering since June 26, 1990. Here's some snippets of some dates in history that relate to today, in no particular order. Some are serious. Some are downright childish.

September 11, 1997
I got an email from The Mad Scientist* yesterday (well actually today), and he said he wished I was down there to talk to because email just wasn't the same. What does this mean?! Then he went on to say he'd be back for only two weeks for x-mas break. When I read that I felt it was more like just --"hey I like you as a friend and you're great to relieve sexual tension on-but nothing else. I don't want a relationship with you." I don't know, I think I'm jumping the gun. Before I know it he'll have another lust-ee he wants advice on. And dumb me, I'll tell him to go for it. Sigh. But then maybe not. I don't know.

This entry references some confusion I had about a night I had with The Mad Scientist before we parted for college. We started officially "dating" about a month later.

February 26, 1993
A little history news, the World Trade Center in New York blew today. Panic, panic, panic. New York, one of the cities of violence.
School still sucks. Nothing new there. God! I've got to slip out of that school with no recognition, just a face in the yearbook and a name in a record.

Lord, I hated high school.

January 16, 1991
It has happened. Iraq and the United States are at war. Yesterday was the deadline set by President Bush. The fighting began today.
I always thought I would grow up in "peace." Now I wish I was too young to understand. But I'm 12 and understand all of it.
It all started when we bombed Baghdad. I don't know what to think. I just thank god it isn't taking place over in the U.S. Thank goodness G.* and C.* aren't that old.
Once Desert Shield, now Desert Storm.
I don't know who's right or wrong. Listening to all this is just so depressing..

Ironically enough G and C both ended up over in Iraq and Saudi respectively during the latest exercise in futility going on over there.

*Names have been changed or the person referenced wasn't a Mad Scientist at the time of said journal entry.

So there you go. Stepping off of the blogwagon now.

Don't get me wrong, I HATE it when people harp on the past. And pretty soon I'm sure we won't make a big whoop-dee-do about September 11. Look at Pearl Harbor Day. As that generation dies out, you don't see a giant media blitz every December that lasts for weeks beating the life out of a date.

In reality, every day is a tragic day. Three days ago when that 17 year old kid whose obituary I read in the paper this weekend died, the cure for cancer could have died with him. He could have been the one to cure it. Everyday has a catastrophic (to someone) tragedy attached to it. The only thing that's different about this day is that more people have attached themselves to it.

For now.

13 Comments:

Blogger T. Budnik said...

That's ironic what you wrote about G & C.

Oh, and is it a co-inky-dink that you can just say "Bush" when talking about Iraq and always be talking about the right president?

-T.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Today made my head hurt.

It's true though, every day means something to someone, somewhere. Perspective is a powerful force in the universe.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

you are right, everyday is a tragic day. I refuse to live in fear, and I wish Americans would aske themselves why the muslim world hates us. I am getting ready to jump on the Jaywalker bandwagon myself...I've only made one pair of socks, am I jumping the Jaywalker gun?? Also, enjoyed your journal entries!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

feel the same way you do about 9/11. There is a fine line between 'memory' and 'wallow'. I don't get the 9/11 movies and special shows on cable and the constant rehashing over and over (and over) again.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

It's hard to decide how much reflection to do on that day, because I agree, such a big deal is made of it. Sometimes I think it takes away from the grief of the families who lost loved ones.

I thought it interesting that you said every day is a tragedy...very true when you think about it.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Still an Opal virgin here, but like Regia you say?

Funny, that entry about the mad scientist!

Very cool.

And, I think you should finish the Jaywalkers!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

I feel like the media secretly enjoyed the attention five years ago, and that they're now trying to recapture some of their glory days. It's too much for me. I have so many friends in the City, and I didn't have to be reminded.

On a brighter note: I bought some Regia for Jaywalkers, but the colorway is actually very ugly. Don't know why I bought it in the first place. But I'm liking your socks!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I like your jaywalker, it looks good. But knitting something you don't like to, no fun!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

You have to finish at least one in celebration of your best heel ever!

5:02 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

A very thought provoking blog Kaye!

Loved it!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Yes, every day is a tragedy, but for those of us in NY who watched it out their windows, were in those buildings, across the street, saw and breathed that smoke for weeks upon weeks, it's not the same sort of tragedy as all the other tragedies in the world. I agree that in a few years, less fuss will be made of it, like Pearl Harbor. I had that conversation with a guy on the train platform yesterday. I, btw, watched the second plane hit from the safety of my office building much further north, but when the first plane hit, a wheel from the plane landed 20 feet from where my husband was standing.

Jaywalker looks awesome...you should definitely do the second one.

9:12 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Your Jaywalker looks great! But, if you're not feeling it, then I say frog and reknit into a pattern you love. Otherwise they'll end up languishing in a drawer. And it's a small enough project that you can do that without feeling as through you're unraveling your life.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home