Wednesday, September 06, 2006

La-la-la-Linoleum!

I think that's the second time I've ripped off Bert's famous "L" song for a blog post title.

For those who asked about linoleum. I don't use this:

linoleum

I use this instead:

linoleum!

You can buy artist-grade (read: soft) linoleum from any reputable art supply store. It comes mounted on blocks or unmounted. All you basically do, as you can see what I've done with a picture I used of Chunky when he was two-ish to make an xmas present for my Old Man, is you draw a picture on the linoleum, and using the little orange tool and various shaped blades, you cut away at the parts you want to appear white. Then you roll ink on the image, press it onto some paper, and ta-da. You're an artiste!

Or, you could say what I just blabbered on about in four words: You make a stamp.

Techincally if you're a real artiste you destroy the block when you're done. I haven't quite figured out how to do to that when they're mounted on wood though.

But whatever, this is a knitting blog right?

I've been chucking out knucks' knuckles (say that ten times fast):

knucks

I'll probably butcher the pattern come time to affix them to the "body" of the glove, but I love the way all those little fingers line up so nicely on the spare needles like that.

That's the alpaca I scored from the Wild String going out of business sale. The knucks might only take a ball and a half leaving me with two other balls. Hee hee, what should I do with two balls?

8 Comments:

Blogger cpurl17 said...

Don't ever destroy that picture of El Chunkito because it's great!

As simple as you made it sound, I think I'd end up cutting off a finger if I tried something like that--but the results are soooo cool.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Ceallach said...

Ooooh, Linoleummmmmm.....great cut bezzie!


I have one word for you....

Intaglio!

where else can you drop acid legally!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

So many talents at the house o' Bez!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Knucks look great so far.

The limo cut of Chunky is fantastic - I agree - don't destroy it.

We did lino printing in school, it was loads of fun :)

4:50 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

OK - that is really cool. I had no idea that linoleum was an actual art medium. How neat! I was indeed picturing a kitchen floor. Heh. Very cool.

The knucks look fun! I really need to do a set. Good God, I haven't even started (except 1 pair of socks) and I'm already overwhelmed by my Christmas knitting.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Ahhhhh, now I understand. Don't destroy the one of Chunky...it's wonderful!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I dunno, Bezie, what should you do with 2 balls? Cute linoleum wood-cut like stamp art! And the Knucks, what can I say?? Fun to knit! The join isn't too hard, just keep all fingers but the index on two needles, then follow the directions. Knitting in the round on two needles is awkward though...

9:01 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

Ok, I love the fact that you started off with LA LA LA... LINOLEUM!!!!! That, and the W song, are my two favorites.

You're a damn genius.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home