Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Latrodectus

a/k/a The Black Widow Baby Hat

Sick of bringing the same old crap to baby showers? Maybe your own little baby would look better with a giant black widow perched atop his or her noggin. Regardless of the reasons for your arachnophilia, I present you with Latrodectus:

spider con plant

It’s my first pattern–so I had to give it one of those names where you can’t tell what the hell it’s a pattern for. A sweater? Socks? A scarf? You may call it simply The Black Widow Baby Hat if you prefer.

100_1851

Because it’s my first pattern, go easy on me okay? I didn’t have an army of test knitters knitting it tinking my design flaws. So if you find a mistake, feel free to fix it! And yes, I realize I could have abbreviated the decrease rounds as you start to hit the crown of the hat, but I HATE it when patterns merely say "Repeat Rounds X and Y until you get W stitches left on your needles." Call me remedial, but I love directions that go line by line!

My spider hat is off to Elizabeth for planting the seed in my brain to do this project! She's a real knitwear designer!

100_1863

Skill Level:
Do you know how to decrease? Are you comfortable with intarsia? Can you do both at the same time? If so, you can hit the ground with all eight legs running.

Size:
I won’t lie, my own child was born with a ginormous head. However, I feel this hat would be well suited for a normal-headed child who is six to eight months old.

Materials:
Needles: Set of 5 US 8 DPNs (hat & spider head); Set of 4 US 3 DPNs

Yarn: Body and head--1 skein Red Heart in Black (or any color/type of worsted weight yarn); Hourglass–a few yards of an orange colored worsted weight yarn; a few yards of accent yarn for embroidering the features; and a bit of stuffing or other squishy material to stuff the spider’s head with.

Gauge: 4"x4"=18sts x 22 rows

Hat:
CO 72 sts on four US 8 DPNs. PM at beginning of round, or merely leave a long tail marking the beginning of the round.
Round 1: Knit
Round 2: *K2, P2*, repeat from * to *
Round 3-7: Repeat Round 2
Round 8: K all
Round 9: K22, (start the chart found at the end of this post) K10 in orange, K the rest of the round
Round 10-17: K all continuing with chart
Round 18: *K1, K2tog, K to last three sts on needle, SSK, K*, repeat * to * on each needle
Round 19: K all continuing with chart
Round 20: Repeat Round 18
Round 21: K all continuing with chart
Round 22: Repeat Round 21
Round 23: Repeat Round 18
Round 24: K all (you shouldn’t have to worry about the pesky hourglass now)
Round 25: Repeat Round 18
Round 26: K all
Round 27: Repeat Round 18
Round 28: K all
Round 29: Repeat Round 18
Round 30: K all
Round 31: Repeat Round 18
Round 32: K all

100_1869

Hourglass Chart

If I haven’t screwed up writing this pattern you should have 12 stitches total. Break the yarn, leaving a long tail and thread the tail through the live stitches at the top of the hat and cinch it shut.

Spider Head:
CO 27 sts on 3 US 8 DPNs. PM at beginning of round, or merely leave a long tail marking the beginning of the round.
Round 1-10: K all
Round 11: *K1, K2tog, K to last three sts, SSK, K1*, repeat * to *
Round 12: Repeat Round 11
Round 13: K all
Round 14: *K1, K2tog, SSK*, repeat * to *
Round 15: K all

Break the yarn, leaving a long tail and thread the tail through the live stitches at the top of the hat and cinch it shut.

Using contrasting yarn, in this case white, stitch on the face of your spider. If you’re making a larger hat, you might want to use buttons for eyes, or paint them on. Since my hat was for a baby, I stayed away from buttons. Babies love to pick at things, and buttons could end up in their mouth, and thus choking them. Yes, it’s a black widow, but I don’t really want it to kill the baby!

100_1867

Face Embroidery Detail

After embellishing the spider’s face, stuff it with a bit of stuffing, and sew it securely onto the front of the hat.

Legs:
CO 9 sts onto 3 US 3 DPNs, leaving a long tail. (Size 3 DPNs are used to create a tighter gauge and keep the spider legs stiff.)

Knit all rounds until leg measures approximately 4" (or longer if legs turn you on).

BO leaving a 6" tail of yarn.

Sew tip of leg shut with the tail you left when casting on. Using the 6" tail of yarn you left after binding off, sew the legs onto the "body" of the spider.

Repeat 7 times for a total of 8 legs.

Ta-da! You’ve got a giant knitted black widow to stick on the head of a baby of your choosing. It’s so sick it’s almost cute!

© 2006 R. K. Bezdecny–Feel free to recreate this monstrosity for yourself, but please don’t sell the final product or pattern for your own profit. If you do, may a horde of pissed off black widows attack you while you sleep!

18 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

HAHAHA! That is too cool and only you would think of it! Awesome job! hehe! *skips off, hmm, who can I make that for**

10:09 PM  
Anonymous kristi and otis said...

LOVE IT!!!!! I may have to add this one to my baby project list.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I LOVE IT! Congrats on the pattern writing too, you stud!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Bezzie, that is the best baby item I have ever seen. Woe betide the next friend to announce she's pregnant cos she's gonna get it.

Muchos thankos for the pattern. You rock!

5:48 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Oh, that is so wrong, yet so right! All at the same time too!

7:01 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

That is hilarious! I can't wait to hear about the Mom-to-be's reaction.

Do you think the legs could also be done as i-cords?

7:42 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Awesome! Seriously awesome. Just a shame I don't have any babies to knit for at the moment....

8:08 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

As creepy as it is, I love it!

Hey, that would make a really cool Halloween hat for a baby!

:-)

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Amby said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!

8:44 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

It's really cute. I like the confused eyes and vampire teeth. Although it is cute, it's still weird. Good job.

Can I count on my first born receiving one?

-T.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Perfect! Great work Bezzie!

For those who are afraid of intarsia, just duplicate stitch on the hourglass afterward. You can do the duplicate st. with a thinner yarn than the body of the hat and it won't be too bulky, but will still look terrific.

Maybe I need an adult sized version for trick or treating this year...

9:23 AM  
Blogger Criosa said...

oh, that is absolutely awesome!

now, do I make that for the baby of the friend I used to work at camp with who overcame her spider-phobia? I just might have to.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

EXCELLENT!

I love it!

AND, Perfect for Halloween too!

So cool.

Now we need pics of the mom opening the spider hat present! Heee!

11:23 AM  
Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

I beg of you, become a designer. I would buy all your patterns whether I liked them or not just so I could read them and crack up. You rule.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

You're the devil.


Could I possibly admire you more?

6:11 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Oh if only we could get our referral before Halloween. I'd be making this sucker on the plane ride over. Thanks for writing the pattern and sharing, it's so freaking adorable I can't stand it!!!

7:22 PM  
Blogger OldLadyPenPal said...

i'm going to have another baby JUST so i can make him that hat. curse you. i thought i was all done breeding!

6:58 PM  
Blogger JRS said...

That is far and away the coolest baby hat I have ever seen!!

How did the parents-to-be react? I would totally dig such a thing for my kid, but I can imagine some parents getting uptight about it.

I love that you put the pattern out there for us, but you totally could have gotten it published somewhere!

2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home