Monday, September 04, 2006

A Little Knitting Content and Tools

I know I promised some introductions today, but I guess this is a knitting blog after all and I ought to include some.

So for Pyewacket here are a couple of pictures of the four log cabin blocks I have completed:

Random Floppage of Squares

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to arrange the squares:

Un Diamante

It's clear I won't have enough yarn to complete this in a queen size. I'm using TLC Cotton Plus (51% cotton 49% acrylic) and only ordered enough to eke out about fifteen squares if I'm lucky. The squares are 11" X 12" (obviously not squares then huh?) and fifteen won't be big enough to cover a queen size bed. Maybe I'll knit a ginormous border around them. We'll see. As I've said before, it's completely mindless knitting, but lately that's what I've needed.

Before I introduce my "tools" pictures, I must give you a proper "before" picture.

nofear

This is Chunky yesterday getting his feet wet in the Gulf of Mexico. We took a trip down to Corpus Christi. Some places on the beach were a tad, um, funky, but we accomplished our primary objective. The kid can now say he's gotten his feet wet in the Atlantic and now Gulf. Now to get him to my beloved Pacific where the water isn't quite so strangely warm as it was in Corpus.

And now I give you my "tools" picture:

goodlordrunshe'sgottheclippers!

Ha ha! C(eline)purl double dog dared me to put a bathroom mirror self portrait on here--so there it is! The tool in question is a pair of clippers I bought this weekend. It's time to shear my sweet Chunky. I used to take him to a poodle parlor to get his hair cut with The Mad Scientist. That cost nearly $20 a pop. So I figured he's four, I can cut it myself, how much could he possibly care if I take a little too much off the top? He's actually excited to have me do it. Hee hee. We'll see if my stylist skills match up to his expectations.

16 Comments:

Blogger mf said...

I got a pair of clippers recently too for my little guy ;o) How funny!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I love the crazy look on your face. :)

11:14 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

As soon as I was tall enough to reach the back of my dad's head (no hair on top, so that was pretty young) I was given the clippers and a "have at it" order.

Tip? Use the largest guard FIRST. Start at the base of his neck with him bending his head comfortably forward. Pretend you are digging SOFT ice cream and start with the tip and "scoop" forward. This way you're niether nicking nor shaving ginormous clumps off all at once.

It also gives you an idea of what results "2"" or a #2 or a #1 or however the guards are numbered, will give you without the "UH OH" feeling :).

11:29 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

So where's the new haircut? Hey, since it's so hot there, why not give yourself a cut?

-T.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I've always done home hair cuts on my guys. If you start when they are really little, they don't care what it looks like. Then, you have time to improve before they reach the age of caring.

12:15 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Can't wait for the "after" photo of Chunky!

My sister has never forgiven me for trimming her bangs before Prom and saying "oops". "OMYGORD, YOU GAVE ME ROD STEWART HAIR!"

12:41 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

So that's a log cabin blanket. I like.

With money as tight as it is, I should learn how to cut Yakko's hair. But he loves going to get haircuts with Daddy -- it's an Event. I'll have to ponder this.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

good luck with the cut. I bribe my 4 yr old with smarties. I hate doing it, but it saves me some dough...for yarn! HAA HAA HAA! (insideously evil laugh!)

2:50 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

You're fiendishly clever combining the tools pic with the bathroom photo!

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Nik Budnik said...

hahah, I like what T Budnik says, give YOURSELF a cut. Hahahah, as if. YOu know, not to be anal or anything, but styling hair...it is no picnic. We actually LEARN how to do it. Post pics already!!!
And , I thought you were shutting up.No more posts and all that. What gives????
PS- you are very cute in your self pic, but look alarmingly like mny husband.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

We know stylists train to cut hair, but crap, he's only 4! I'd shave him too for $20.

Just don't come at him like in that photo!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Hee hee talk about demon barber. You'll soon get the hang of it.

The log cabin blanket is coming along beautifully. I think it would look good with the pink lined up so it looks like diagonal lines cutting across it. It looks good in the bottom photo too.

4:54 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oh my gourd the look on your face is priceless!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oohhh!

Glad to see you're back!

I read the really long post and all. Thanks for posting, and I hope the mad scientist can get his butt in gear and head to SA soon.

I like arrangement 2 of the log cabin squares!

hugs.

12:26 PM  
Blogger OldLadyPenPal said...

a) your sone is far too adorable for words
b) your mirror picture is truly delightful
and
c) you won a prize! my Book Title Guessing Game prize! my email address is on my blog, if you want to send me your mailing info! :)

3:53 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yikes!! You look fierce with them clippers. BTW, not a bad in the mirror pic either... :)

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home