Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Blogging ADD

This post is all over the place. I apologize. Nah, not really. No one's forcing you to read this right?

First up: Bosses' Week. My new boss rocks. Ok, she's a little scatterbrained, but find me a boss who isn't. She's genuine. She's nice. She's compassionate. I work with two other ladies (both above me on the totem pole) who want to pitch in and, since she's apparently a voracious reader, get her a nice gift certificate for Barnes & Noble (ha ha, suck it T!).

The other two ladies have indicated to me that I can donate as much as I feel fit as they both know things at Casa De Bezzie are un poco tight. So what's a good amount faithful readers? $10? $15? $20?

I guess I'm at a loss. I never got The Man anything for Bosses Day. She forgot Secretaries Day all the time--why the hell should I remember her? It doesn't help that my cool boss before The Man was more like an older brother. The first year I worked for him, I found out he despised broccoli. So what did I do? I bought a nice little vase and stuck a bunch of broccoli in it. A bouquet of broccoli if you will. To this day he still has that vase in his office!!

$10 seems too little (that's what I gave the Tibetans for their cow/yak/cak you'll remember). $15 seems like "Hey, I had a $20 but I broke it so I could give you only $15 of it. And $20, well I'll be honest with you, I take $20 out of the bank once a week to serve as the week's "entertainment" money for me and Chunky. $20 seems a little steep. Maybe I'm being greedy.

EXTREME YARN CLOSEUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online
sockotta
WUAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

(I told you this was Blogging ADD).

These are some gorgeous cotton (!) sock yarns that the sneaky Miss Zonda sent me. It's a long story, but it involves me trying to be sneaky and her outsneaking me.

And finally, what the hell is up with this? Good grief. Call me naive, but do that many people really think Alaska is covered in ice and snow all year? And not even a state? Or that they're even wasting state revenue to commission a survey like that? Ha ha!

17 Comments:

Anonymous kristi and otis said...

My two pennies are to find a gift that is 20 bucks but marked half off. Who will ever know?

7:51 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

My sentiments exactly--but she's leaving for Austin on Thursday and Friday, so I'm stuck with the pitch-in gift.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

If you kick in to the group gift, will the boss know how much was your share? Do the $15 contribution. Or the $10 contribution. Or knit her a nice hat from your stash yarn, maybe from a frogged thrift shop sweater. Oh, wait, you don't need hats in Texas.

OK, buy a nice wool sweater at a thrift shop and felt the bejeezus out of it. Then cut and sew a cool bag. Use cotton webbing for straps. Or nylon webbing. Needlefelt a design into it with scraps of wool yarn.

Pitch in a tenner or $15.

That kind of info from that study is actually very valuable for a state with tourism as one of its major revenue sources. Probably not as frivolous an expense as you might think.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yup, people are stupid! I live in a border town in Canada (Kingston if you must know) and we get Americans coming across the border in July with skis expecting snow. These fools live just ont he other side of the river! Do they think there is a wall down the middle of the river which keeps the cold air in Canada???!!! Here's a newsflash, the weather is the same on both sides of the river....

9:42 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

You haven't even been there that long, and you are the lowest one on the totem pole, I say $10. $15 if you really feel funny. Definitely NOT $20. Perhaps you can give like $12 and say it's your lucky number and you always give people that amount?

9:55 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I think Bosse's day is silly but since they're passing the hat, I vote for $10.

Pretty yarn, btw. I have the same yarn color in the bottom That Zonda is a sweetie!

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Knit Mongrel said...

Delicious yarn close-up.

For my two cents, as much as I hate to admit this, I'd got for the $20. Trust me, you'd rather been known as the over-giver than the stingy one.

And yes, people are stupid. Americans especially. Ever watch the Jay Leno thing where he goes out and asks random passers-by who the president is? Sad.

If only everyone knew the truth - that Alaska is covered from border to border with igloos. And guys in furry hoods. Sigh.

10:30 PM  
Blogger janna said...

You mean every meal in Alaska isn't whale blubber? ;-)

Hey - I linked over here from Kristin's blog. I'm in SA, too. We've got a nice knitting group that meets several times a month -- feel free to email me if you're interested!

11:39 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Yeesh, I think $10 is more then fine. That's at least a paperback.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

$10 is my vote. Go with what you can afford, honestly. You can always "make it up" later.

12:12 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I woulda said $5 is fine, but I've got $15 in my bank account so yeah.

FYI - that second skein turns out like this:

MY Socks

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Kristin said...

I think $10 is fine--especially since you're new there and your co-workers seem to be pretty understanding

9:52 AM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

Do 10 - it's just a token of respect/affection. If your co-workers have a problem with that, oh well. The extra $$ will not significantly impact your boss's quality of life, but it will impact on you. Wasn't the yak donation mandatory anyways?
Any time to whip up an artsy card for her to go with the gift?

When is Boss's day anyways? I am a great boss (even more so in comparison to some of the wankers I share staff with), and have never gotten a card, let alone a gift.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

That adn article is hilarious for so many reasons! I love that Murkowski got it going as a means to find out why ANWR and the bridges didn't pass... the fact that most Alaskans support ANWR is not surprising, since so many people think the resources here will last forever... look at where that attitude got the rest of the US! Oh well, I suppose if most people think AK is one big ice field, then less people will move here. BTW, didya get The Sticker? I sent it a while back parcel post... and well, you know how slow that can be coming from AK! Anyway, it's good to be back and I look forward to more mutual blogstalking from now on ;-)

10:40 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

I have the most awesome boss around and I bought him a bag of Smarties. HE LOVES SMARTIES!!!! %5.00 for the 4 lb bag.

We usually go together to get him something, but everyone forgot and I remembered at the last minute!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

OK, I might sound unappreciative, but Bosses Day? Who made that up?? Like the person you spend your time working for should get your time/energy/soul... and a gift?? Don't get me wrong, I have had many an awesome boss... but??

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home