Thursday, October 19, 2006

I'm Knitting In the Dark

The electric bill came in the mail today. My eyes did this:

100_2057

So I've decided to launch Operation No A/C For Me!

It also helps if you turn all the unnecessary lights off as well.

romanceorfrugalness?

Don't worry about my eyes. I'm determined to go blind by the time I'm 56 (a girl has to have goals right?); and who can't garter stitch with their eyes closed?

Operation No A/C For Me is actually a misnomer. It's a three pronged attack:

1. No more unnecessary lights/appliances left on.
This means I won't be leaving the stove light on overnight and I'll remember to shut off my printer when I'm not using it. This also includes showering by candlelight and, as mentioned above, knitting by candlelight.

2. No A/C for the month of November.
Laugh if you must. This is effin' Texas. They cut down their Christmas trees in their shorty-shorts and flip flops for crying out loud!

3. Avoid using the oven/stove at all costs.
This might mean I have to go back to using the little mini grill we were using when we moved down here. I stopped using it when it got so hot that the grass dryed up and I was afraid a lone spark from my briquettes would ignite the Dog Poop Plaza that flanks our building. But this also means more raw vegetables. I hate cooked vegetables. There for a while I felt like to be a good mother I had to feed Chunky canned/cooked vegetables, but then in dawned on me, who says we have to cook them? They're better for you raw anyway! Now many of our dinners are flanked by a serving of raw broccoli, califlower, celery, etc.

I figure by the end of Operation No A/C For Me my grandkids will be able to enjoy five more minutes of electricity when they're my age.

I enjoyed reading all your responses to my realization that I'm a dumbass when it comes to purling. I'm actually quite relieved--it's much easier for me to modify my purling than my knitting. It was also quite interesting to see how many English knitters are out there. I thought it was a 50/50 mix. I tried my hand at knitting English last night, but like you all described your experiences knitting Continental, it felt weird.

Whatever flips your cookie right? Or in my case, a ball of uncooked cookie dough because I'm not using the stove.

10 Comments:

Blogger janna said...

It took me years to get used to the fact that in south Texas, your biggest power bills are in the summer. In the winter, your bills are like half of the summer ones!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

You can also get all smug about lessening your environmental imapact - even more so if you get those groovy glow in the dark needles.

7:57 AM  
Blogger YarnNinja said...

Let me know if you get a jones for cookies/pie/something baked. Isn't too long to ship stuff from Oklahoma down to Texass (a term coined when I worked in Texarkana).

Tulsa got frost this morning; not much but it was there on the roof. I've been down that way in "winter" and know your pain. Invest in some fans to move the air and that will help you feel cooler.

8:56 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Did I ever tell you about "summer rates?" They jack the price of electricity up to twice the normal rate. Because you tend to run the A/C more often in the summer, not only do you use more electricity, you're paying more for it. Bastards. I'm sure there's "winter rates" for gas.

-T.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Knit Mongrel said...

Raw cookie dough is better anyway. :)

Good luck with the electricity diet - if you need more candles, let me know!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

YIKES! I feel ys thou, as we are heading into $200 a month gas bills to heat our old midwestern home.... I'm sure you remember doin that!!

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Kristin said...

I don't about living without the A/C but I think I could definitely go for a month without using the oven/stove. But that would mean lots of going out for sushi so not very budget conscious. Good Luck!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Your thriftiness is inspiring. I'm not quite ready to shut off the AC, but I could at least crank it up to 80 and turn off a light in the other room. Maybe I could heat my tea water over a sterno can...

Yeah, it was 90 degrees with 94% humidity on Wednesday. I feel your sticky pain.

6:52 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Let's hope the winter bills drop down to nothing. I hope it cools down soon.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I know it doesn't help with the cooling much, but compact flourescent lightbulbs use way less electricity (and don't heat up the way incandescents do). Also, put your tv on a power bar and switch it off when you're not using it b/c it still draws power. Same for anything with a remote or clock. Damn ghost loads!

Good luck!

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home