Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Musings Born of Boredom

I had to proctor exams today for potential students. The preadmission test takes three hours. I had to do it twice today. No computer, no knitting, just me, a pen, some scratch paper, and a paperback book that really wasn't holding my interest.

But I got to thinking about my upcoming knitting projects. I think I'm going to put Seamus on hold for a little bit. We'll more than likely be heading to a colder climate soon, so I can make that my "Welcome Back to Real Weather" project. Once I finish up my jaywalkers (I'm about to start the heel on the second one) I'll cast on for the Top Secret Project. I think the TSP will become my new portable project once the jaywalkers are finito. Mostly because I'm out of sock yarn once they're complete! Ha ha!

Finally, once I finish knitting 24 legs for the mini-mite hates, I would like to then go balls to the walls and crank out the log cabin blanket. I guess it would be nice to have a real blanket to put on my real bed once I have my real husband back again. God, but part of me wants to be packing by then.

So aside from mulling over my knitting projects, I came up with some random questions I can't seem to answer:

1. Do you ever harvest oregano? Or do you just let it keep growing, snipping off what you need? Does it ever die?

2. What on earth can one do for 3 hours at a time with no knitting, no computer, no good book? I'm proctoring exams once to twice a day for the rest of October! YAWN!

3. How do you get those pathos (I think that's what they're called) plants to bush out? I've got one that really took off here in Hell (must be the warm weather) but it's all just one big vine.

4. Do you think the Tibetans that I bought a cow (although The Mad Scientist contends it's a yak) for are enjoying it?

5. How do you de-saltify a dish? When I made crockpot chili today I kind of forgot to add the water that went with the beef boullion. It's not disgustingly salty--but just a little more than I'd like to to be. Won't something acidic cut the salt taste?

18 Comments:

Blogger weezalana said...

No answer for the others, but...

2. Chart up a new knitting design. Or two. Or twenty. Write erotica. Go through an issue of VK and count how many errata you can find.

4. Now who wouldn't enjoy a cowyak? Or would that be a cak? Or a yow? Or a yakow?

5. A teeny bit of sugar cuts the saltiness.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

I thought you were supposed to put a peeled potato in to de-salt a dish.

Or maybe it was cornstarch.

8:35 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Dear KBezzie,

In my World History class my sophomore year of high school I had about 100 minutes to do nothing. What did I do? I tried to will a newspaper that was on the floor to move with my mind. I never had any success, but I give it to you as a suggestion to fill your proctor hours. If you can will something to move with your mind, you'll be my hero.

-T.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I really like T's suggestion!

I would try to will the pencil tips of your proctorees to break though...just to add some spice to the game...

9:13 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Bring crossword puzzles or Sudoku books to proctor? Drawing paper? Draw pictures of things around the room, like students taking exams? Design sweaters. Bring graph paper.

For the salt thing, I'm with Penny Karma on the potato. Or when appropriate, noodles or rice. Any kind of bland carbohydrate. Serve the chili over rice?

If the oregano was growing in my backyard up here in WI, I would cut the stem and bring it inside. Hang up to dry out and put the dried stuff in a jar. If I lived down there, I'd probably just snip off what I needed year round.

I'm sure the Project Heifer family is very happy with the bovine of indeterminate variety.

My verification word is utoes. Must be something I can do with a word like that...

10:23 PM  
Blogger OldLadyPenPal said...

I have no idea. I just like the word proctor.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

1. oregano will live forever in your climate, so clip away! Lucky you!
2. can you sleep?
3. who knows, prune it back and it may grow lots of stems from the spot you prune it to?
4. you bought Tibetans a yak/cow?
5. add water, a little sugar, the carbs aformentioned...
will this quiz be graded? will I get in to your college?

10:56 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

I think you should write rude limericks, preferably about people in the room.

I think they'll love your yak-cow.

Snip the top off the plant to make it bush out below.

I keep herbs growing and snip off when required. If it does I buy another.

4:43 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

What's more fun than rude limericks? Nuthin.

Rude haikus are a close second.

7:39 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

With Pothos (pathos is something completely different) I find it's more random whether or not it decides to branch after you pinch or trim off a bit of an arm. I get mine bushy by making cuttings and rooting them in water, then adding them back to the soil in bare spots.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Sudoku books. Crosswords. Or one of those Game magazines with all sorts of brainy game things.

And add a small piece of peeled potato to take away the saltiness.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Sounds like the potato wins! Yay for potatoes!

Keep smiling gal!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

1) Yes, you can harvest oregano! In fact here it is necessary for it goes all dormant like in the winter. And...really I don't think you can kill it.

4) Of course they're loving the yak-cow! They're Tibetans and they put yak butter in thier salty tea!

5) I usually add another can of tomatoes or something when that happens.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous KnitMongrel said...

Things to do with three hours:

1. Practice saying the alphabet backwards. Seriously, I've been able to do this for years, and people are always strangely impressed.

2. Write Haikus. Dirty ones.

3. Bring a map of Europe with you and chart out your dream trip. Don't forget Amsterdam. Though you might forget it, once you've been there. :)

4. Giggle incessantly over "cak" - weezalana definitely made me snort over that one.

Question - don't they have enough cows and/or yaks in Tibet? I've never been there, but I didn't realize there was a shortage... I'll tell ya, there are definitely no yaks here in Chicago and I'm starting to think that's a bad thing.

12:25 PM  
Blogger SuzannaBanana said...

I do the same thing with pothos that Turtlegirl does, except I just shove the clippings right back into the soil instead of rooting them in water. As long as the soil isn't bone-dry, they should take root right where you plant them. It's kind of fun to watch them grow in water, though.

I'm sure the Tibetans like their yak. By that same token, how horrible would it be if, on the other side of the world, entire villages were wailing, "With all of our hardships, why do we now have to feed and care for this gigantic yak? It eats more than we can grow, and it smells like wet cheese curds. Why, God, why?!?"

3:24 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Oh great! Now I'm going to worry about my Tibetians being eaten out of house and home by their yak! LOL!

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I think I'll have plenty to keep me occupied tomorrow proctoring! Maybe I'll have a dirty haiku/limerick post soon! Muhahahaha!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

3. I don't know, but I want a pathos plant! Come to think of it, it would probably just do what all of my plants do: Look pathetic to begin with, get more pathetic with time, then die pathetically after a truly pathetic life.
Hmmm. You'd think I'd know all about pathos plants by now!

5. Yeah, sugar! It fixes some things. Sometimes, when the dish already has milk in it, more milk helps.

7:37 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

The oregano is hardy. You could even dig it up and take it with you. If you use the potato in the chili - then you can take it out once it absorbs the salt.

The plant may get more nushy if it is in lower light. But I would agree with the suggestions about the cuttings. Rooting them in water will work or just sticking them back in the pot will too - just keep the soil moist.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home