Sunday, October 22, 2006

Speaking of Trash To Treasure

I didn't think I would do Christmas cards this year. The fact that The Mad Scientist will be unemployed, we're stuck in an unfamiliar town, and there will be no snow, really sucks the Christmas spirit out of you.

But I caved. Better to get these done before we're a one-income family right?

I sort of ripped this idea off all the vendors you see on Etsy selling very similar stuff.

I took some old textbooks and Christmas books bought from Goodwill, rubber cement, leftover Christmas scrapbook papers from last year's cards, wrapping paper samples from those insane wrapping paper drives Chunky's old school used to hold, and a pack of 20 blank cards bought from Michael's with a 40% off coupon.

100_2071

And made these: (If you're family reading this and want your Christmas card to be a surprise, look away now!)

100_2072

Purty neat huh? People were getting rid of those books anyway, and people will probably toss the Christmas card anyway--so why spend a fortune on them?

And yes, I have done some knitting. Four pairs of baby booties for a charity knitting project:

100_2073

Ok, they're more like baby slippers, but hey, newborns don't walk.

18 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow! Your cards are too cool! Makes me almost want to send Christmas cards. Inspiring!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

those cards are treasures! YOU RULE THE CHRISTMAS CARD MAKING UNIVERSE!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Kaitie Tee said...

I love those cards! And I love Amelia Bedelia!

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Aw, I love those vintage Christmas illustrations! Nice cards - I'm terrible at sending cards of any kind. Christmas cards, thank you cards - heck, even the birth announcements are still sitting on my table, and he's almost two months old!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Very very cool. I always wanted to make my own Christmas cards, you've got alot of patience girl!

5:46 PM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

You are a crafty, and poetic, lady! We lie prostrate at your handknit sock-covered feet!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love the cards! Nice work there! Cutest lil' booties too!

geesh, whats up with my word verification..reek?? LOL I took a shower this afternoon...

12:07 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

I can't wait to get my Christmas card!! I like the old-book card you made for me the one where it's like, "Oh dear! It's raining!"

I also can't wait until I work more on my own cards.

Peace.

-T.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Oh those boots are seriously cute.

Fab cards and such a great idea.

2:51 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Ah, the cards are great. There is even a couple books in that selection I remember from when I was little.

Booties are looking good too.

9:53 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

What a fabulous idea! And how much more fun will those be to open than the usual Hallmark and photo cards!

Cute booties, too!

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Kristin said...

That's a great idea! I love those cards! I wish i had time to do that but too much christmas knitting.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Those are great cards! I love interesting cards like that - you have a very creative mind, Bezzie :)

6:25 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Those cards are really cool!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Cool, creative, and free (or really cheap anyways). My kinda card!

Cutie booties too.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Your cards look great. Cooler than store bought ones! Way to make lemonade our of lemons!!

7:43 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I love your Christmas cards! The vintage are my fav. I used to save Christmas cards and cut them up to make gift tags for the next year's Christmas.

The booties are too cute.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

I'm going to hit up the thrift shop next week and see if they have some Christmas books for the same purpose - what a great idea!

Trash to treasure, I'm telling you...

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home