Saturday, October 14, 2006

Woo. Jaywalkers. Control Your Excitement.

We had to mail The Mad Scientist his winter coat, scarf and a few other winter clothes. When we moved down here, I kept all these things----thinking he'd be here by now! Ha ha! Michigan got a nice little dusting of snow this week so come Monday or so he'll be toasty.

In the spirit of mailing away warm things, I decided I would finish up my Jaywalkers. I figure I won't wear them because they're wool. Nothing against wool personally, but my feet tend to give off a lot of heat on their own, I don't need wool to help me out. Do you like the way I phrased that? That's a nice way of saying I have very sweaty feet!

A few weeks ago Chunky and I drove to Dallas to hang out with an aunt of mine I hadn't seen since I was about 11 years old. She works for Yankee Candle Company and was in Dallas covering a trade show for a co-worker (Dallas isn't in her normal sales region I guess). We drove up, had dinner, and spent the night in her hotel room. While we were hanging out I whipped out my Jaywalkers while we chatted. She was very impressed with them. Which is funny because she's a crocheter. I guess I was just surprised how interested she was in them as she's pretty handy with a hook.

So I figured since she lives in wintry Massachusetts she'll get better use out of them than I will. According to my mom her feet are as about as big as mine. Let's hope she's right!

Without further rambling here they are:

100_2052

100_2053

The stats--
Yarn: Opal Petticoat in Color #1293 (I think! The label's in German!) There was a delightful little knot half way into the second sock--so these guys are definitely fraternal!

Needles: Knit on 4 Brittney Size US 2 birch DPNs (my trusty sock needles!)

Misc. Ramblings On the Pattern: It was an easy pattern to follow. These are by far my best socks ever! I still can't get over how wonderful the heels turned out. At first I was dubious of knitting them on four needles, but I found four needles made it easier to conceptualize the instep and sole. It's a little trickier to do (for me at least) on three needles. The fit itself was a little roomier than what I'm used to. But keep in mind that I also like my cotton handknit socks and do a lot of simple ribbed cuffs. Cotton and ribs make the sock overall tighter fitting.

So kids, that's all she wrote in the sock yarn stash department! I actually didn't buy this Opal sock yarn. I won it in a blog contest Sassenach had on her blog a while ago. Will I buy more sock yarn? Maybe. If The Mad Scientist ever graduates and finds a job, and if that job (which the hunt is sofar proving well, fruitless. It's hard to remember that it took him a good 8 months to find the old job that got revoked) is in a cold climate I might convert back to wool sock yarn. But for now, my quest to find snazzy cotton sock yarn continues!

5 Comments:

Blogger Pyewacket said...

Those are most excellent socks. I highly approve of the colors. Lucky aunt!

5:55 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Very nice socks! I think your Aunt will be thrilled. Did she send you home with some nice scented candles?

6:04 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Ha ha! She did! FIVE of them--the big ones in "exclusive" fragances not available to the public--yet.

Least I could do was give her these socks!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

Love 'em! I'm wit ya wit the wool socks. My feet get itchy in the wool... Lucky Auntie!

8:37 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Nicely done on the Jaywalkers!

I LOVE Yankee Candles, especially the ocean-y scents. I can't get the yummy ones that smell like food, because then I end up eating all. day. long.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home