Friday, November 17, 2006

Albino Pachyderm

So the peeps at the office in charge of merriment and fun (maybe not so much for us enlightened folk) set the date for the "White Elephant" and Christmas party.

December 13.

I had to ask what the rules of a White Elephant were. Um, yeah, no one could answer me. All they could tell me is that the gift had to be $20. That's right, $20. That's not maximum $20--$20 on the nose.

Geeze. What do enlightened non-crafty people do in these situations???

So the felted bag is definately a go. Yes, the yarn was only like $8 total, but it will probably take me a good 5 hours to knit it (maybe more, maybe less). Say I charge the same hourly wage I earn keeping my seat warm at my place of employment, that comes out to be about $50. Add $1.00 to that because that's what it takes to run a load of laundry around this dump and that's $59. Add the tax I paid on the yarn and it's over $60.

The best part is, even though they know I knit, none of them have a crafty bone in their body and I'll merely tell them I bought it somewhere. With the felting, they'll never catch on.

As for the bag, I'm thinking of doing the standard Booga Bag, but instead of knitting literally five feet of i-cord (the temptation to hang myself with it might be too intense when I finished it), I was thinking maybe I could make the handles this instead.

I'm debating the tacky-factor there.

Oh and before I go--a quick update on the cable phone/internet deal. I tried switching to AT&T. Well apparently they couldn't set up my land line without gaining access to my apartment (lies!). When I called to reschedule them to come out--after apparently the first phone installation guy came out here at 8:00 a.m. while I was at work, I was informed that they did not have weekend or after hours appointments. Nor could they give me a solid window of when they could get here above and beyond 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. or 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

So I sent back the DSL equipment and cancelled the service. They couldn't wrap their feeble brains around the fact that I was a single mother, with no other 18 year olds at the residence, who couldn't afford to take time off work. (Ok, they don't need to know that I do have a bit of time off accrued but I'm saving that for Christmas and when The Mad Scientist comes back...we'll have five months of husband and wifeing to catch up on!)

Yesterday I get this letter in the mail from AT&T:

"Dear Bezzie,
Thank you for the opportunity to talk to you regarding your order for we need inside access to complete servie rescheduled for 11-17-06.

If we do not hear from you by November 17, 2006, we will assume you are no longer interested in arranging this service."

Woah. I think I dodged a bullet here. First off that first sentence makes NO sense whatsoever. They can't spell "service" what makes me think they can actually provide it? And to me it sounds like one minute they're saying they'll be by on 11-17 (today) to arrange the service (which I did NOT reschedule!) but the next it sounds like 11-17 is merely the day I have to respond to them by to reschedule it.

All I have to say is I will not be charged for that guy coming out here. The lady I spoke to when I first signed up said they may or may not need access to my apartment. Calling me on my cell phone while I'm at work when you're on your way to my apartment to set up the service is not cool.

But oh well. I can survive on spotty phone and internet until The Mad Scientist finds another job. He's so cute, he's going global in the job hunt now. Does anyone know if the English look poorly on Americanos working their government science jobs? (Like the Americans tend to do!)

9 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Go for the Booga and the Marley chains for the handles! How cool would that be. I mean don't some women carry those purses with the gold chains (ick, so not me!)

That sucks about your DSL though! Grrr, I hate it when businesses are unable to help the working folk regarding service calls!

9:17 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Wow, I miss a few days of Random Meanderings (being at a conference + fighting a cold) and I come back to a whole new cool Bezzieriffic look!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Booga Bag is great. Not sure about those handles though, it might be awkward to push those in and out of the holes to open/close it..just my opinion...maybe you can just braid up some extra lengths of yarn? Or buy something cheep like rope or trim or the drawstring off your sweatpants or something??

7:15 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

I'm not a big fan of the chain. Interesting, but I'm not sure it's what the bag needs.

Oh, and phone companies, don't even get me started! My Bell South saga lasted about a month and it cost me $50. (And I had less than 24 hours of service.) I've learned to NEVER mess with those companies that offer multiple services. It ends up THEY don't offer multiple services. They buy the bills. They only bill you for those multiple services.

That's my story.

-T.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

AT&T is pure papper-shufflin BS!! Don't get me started. Good luck with that, the Booga Bag is a classic, like the marley chain, hand-made = love...

11:23 AM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

I think the chain will be awesome!

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I think that you should go with what you like! And as I learned in Basic "If they can't take a joke F them". Love, Mom

2:49 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

If you want to avoid i-cord, but get the same look, do Wendy Wonnacott's cheat: cast on a zillion stitches and then cast them off. Then wash to felt and no one is the wiser. She says she would rather do this than a million yards of i-cord, and I can understand that reasoning.

4:31 PM  
Blogger JRS said...

I think the Booga Bag is a great idea for your gift exchange. I'd be thrilled to get one if I were your co-worker! And yeah, I just made some earflap hat ties that look like i-cord, but are really just 3 stitches of stockinette. Curls right up to look like i-cord.

If your husband is looking internationally, he should check out JSPS fellowships (Japan Society for Promotion of Science). There are tons of JSPS fellows at my university and they get a very sweet deal--housing (for a family), generous stipend, etc. I can put him in touch with some people who are doing it, if he's interested.

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home