Sunday, November 19, 2006

Blogstalking & A Quasi FO

It's been a while since I did a blogstalking post. This week's theme is a trinket that you have, but aren't really sure why it's still around.

First up I give you the bilikin:

bilikin

Per The Anchorage Daily Press, June 2, 2005:

"The smiling Bilikin charm was as trendy in the early 1900s as rubber bracelets are today. Shops throughout North America stocked them and the Bilikin (an “Asian god” dreamed up by American trinket dealers) gained a strong foothold in Alaska."

This belonged to my parents, and quite honestly, I'm not sure how I ended up with him. But he's on my "Alaskana" knicknack shelf as you can see from the fakey muskrat tooth carving next to him.

I have to also include a favorite trinket that The Mad Scientist has never let me toss. He actually values this one a lot--so I guess that doesn't fit the criteria of this week's topic right?

TMS

It's an antique chemical bottle he electroplated in high school chemistry class. He loves it because his teacher told him his turned out the best. Hee hee. How cute. You would have thought he had the best handprint Thanksgiving turkey in kindergarden or something! It now acts as a bookstop for the mini leatherbound Shakespeare books my Aunt Jaywalker gave me back when I was a kid.

And finally, the next trinket (a sculpture my middle younger brother picked up for me when he was stationed in Korea) also doesn't really fit the "why do I have this?" catagory. But I love it so.
100_2249

I wish I could put that one on my desk at work.

Finally, I have a quasi finished object to present. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how I'm going to arrange it.

Option 1:
Option1

Option 2:
Option2

Option 3:
Option3

Option 4:
Option4

I'm leaning towards Option 1 or 4. Once I figure out the placement, I'll seam them together and work on the border. My plan was to do an entire queensize afghan out of these blocks, but yeah, as you can see I only ordered enough yarn to complete nine of them.

After I seam them, I'm going to use the remaining white TLC Cotton Plus to go around them, and then switch to a blue and pink TLC acrylic. (Did I mention I was too cheap to spring for more Cotton Plus?)

It will probably look barfalicous.

Geeze, now that I've finished the blocks for this and the Top Secret Project all I've got on the needles is the White Elephant Poop Bag. It's been a very productive weekend. I also finished two more hats for Pam's hat drive this weekend.

I suppose I should cast on for Rosie's stocking. Chunky started talking about stockings this weekend and realized his stuffed monkey, Rosie, didn't have one. Me and my big mouth. I told him I'd knit him one and he could pick the yarn. He picked the neon green mohair better known as Kermit the Frogged of Lupe and Shawnee fame. This should be interesting. Well, unless Grandma, now that she reads this blog, would like to make Rosie a stocking (cough, cough, hint, hint).

24 Comments:

Blogger T. Budnik said...

I vote for 1 or 3.

-T.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Trouble with Option 2, you'd need to make more of them to balance it out. I like options 1 & 3 best, though 4 is good, because it's a little different way of using the log cabins.

9:57 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I vote option one.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I vote for #1.

I really like 2 and 4 - but as elizabeth said, I want them to extend further for more symmetry.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I vote for #1-That's a whole lotta knitting there! I like your gift from your brother. It would nice to have something like that a work. We have a human one at our office...

10:57 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

First vote is Option 1
Second vote for Option 3.
(Need the symmetry)

I love the little tiny books you have.

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK...I vote for #1. And I get the hint! Will see what I can come up with. I have two other stockings to make cause your middle younger brother lost his first one and his wife has never had one. As for the billikin I got it as a Christmas gift in '76 from my boss. You have it cause you asked for it. Love, Mom

12:22 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I vote #1.

Green mohair huh? Lucky you. :)

1:05 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Looks like we're all voting. I too like #1 best. #3 second best.

1:28 PM  
Blogger helen said...

i vote 1 or 3 because they are both "complete" designs. Just so it looks balanced. then again, maybe that's not what you're goin for ;)

1:40 PM  
Blogger janna said...

St. Louis University's teams are the Billikens - spelled differently but the same thing: http://slubillikens.cstv.com/trads/billiken.html

Oh - and I like pattern #3, but that's because I really like traditional quilt patterns.

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

I like 3, but if you were to do that I'd suggest putting the cream/white between the blocks. Of course, that's pretty traditional for a log cabin - 1 is kooky but nice.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like #1.

3:30 PM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

At the risk of sounding like a band wagoner, I vote for #1. :)

3:52 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

#1!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Definitely #1

7:37 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I like 3 quite a lot! And I love the finger! and the hot new look too!!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

FINALLY I can post a comment!! I vote for 1...all the way! I just like it! :)

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for 1.

10:17 AM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

I used to have that set of Shakespeare books! They are really tiny, right?

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Knit Mongrel said...

I definitely vote for 1. It's lovely! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and at least I know if my casserole sucks you weren't planning to eat it anyway. :)

3:47 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Ah yes, my clap is HUGE! :)
I love your knicknacks! They rock. Display them proudly! I pick #1. Keep it simple stupid. :)

10:26 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Love your trinket! I have an old test tube with poyurethane gone wrong (it turned yellow, viscous, and see-through instead of foamy), but it's in Germany, so no pictures of it.

Go with option 1. Anything to avoid extra work and still get a lovey product!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

I didn't think anyone else in the world had a bilikin! I have a candle and an ivory pendant. My aunt taught school in Nome in the early 60's and brought them home. Along with a lot of other gold, ivory, and yes, an authentic sealskin coat. (I'm so politically incorrect!)

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home