Sunday, November 12, 2006

Caught Off Guard & Fiber "Fest" Review

I believe this week we're going with the theme of something that caught you off guard for Blogstalking.

Friday at work we celebrated a co-worker's birthday. We had cake but no icecream. Someone mentioned that they should have picked up a 1/2 gallon of Blue Bell. Not knowing what "Blue Bell" was I asked. I was met with stares of incredulity and gaping jaws that I had never heard of, nor tasted Blue Bell ice cream. Apparently, to Texans, this is the end all of ice creams.

So Friday after work, I picked up a pint of Mint Chocolate Chip. I had to see how it compared to one my personal favorites Ben and Jerry's Mint Chocolate Cookie.

100_2180

The price was right--$1.78 for a pint of Blue Bell. Ben and Jerry's usually runs a good dollar or more than that. The packaging seemed attractive enough, although I could do without the words "New Tastier Chips" right above a silouette of a cow. But maybe that's just me.

So what's the verdict? Here's where the blogstalking theme comes in. I'm surprised that for all the hype this ice cream was getting from my coworkers, it was not that good. In fact I would go so far as to say it was comparable to the bricks of the Kroger brand crap I used to buy when I needed a quick cheap ice cream fix back in Lansing. It was grainy and the mint to chocolate ratio left much to be desired.

Doing a little research I think I figured out why this ice cream sucked cow chips. Ben and Jerry's has 260 calories for a 1/2 cup serving with 140 of those calories being from fat. Blue Bell? Only 170 calories for 1/2 a cup with 80 coming from fat. Any good ice cream eater will tell you that the proof is in the fat. The more fat in ice cream (or hell anything!) the better it tastes.

My second theory as to why it doesn't match up is because maybe it's the fact that Ben and Jerry's doesn't bleach their cartons and therefore there are no dioxins leaching into the ice cream. Maybe Texans like the taste of dioxins. Considering I live ten miles from a Superfund Site where dry cleaning chemicals and instant oil change store wastes have worked their way into the drinking water, this would not surprise me. It could be an acquired taste and my non-carcinogenic pallette could be why I did not enjoy this ice cream.

Sorry Texas, for all your bravado and "everything is bigger and better" in this state, a pair of granola crunching hippies in New England have you beat in the ice cream department.

As an interesting aside, I discovered a B&J's flavor that Turtlegirl might enjoy. Mmmmmm!!!

Moving on, yesterday Chunky and I went to Kid N'Ewe and Llamas Too, a little fiber festival in Boerne. Note that Texans pronounce the name of this town "bernie" not "born" as I wanted to. It's almost as bad as the way Michiganians would pronounce Charlotte "shar-lot" instead of "shar-leht."

Kid N'Ewe was, um, small. I did at least get to meet Entrelac in person. Sadly it was only briefly. Chunky wasn't having any of the yarn and fiber fondling. And there were only two alpacas that didn't have a crowd around them to check out. After watching them eat and kiss for about 10 minutes he was done with the whole affair.

Which was fine. Everything was pretty expensive and more spinning related. It was mesmerizing to watch Ana test drive a wheel though. I totally think I could get into spinning with a wheel. I hate drop spindling. But it's such an expensive hobby. There's no way I could shell out that kind of money for a wheel. I know they make less expensive wheels, but it's still a lot of money to this tightwad. I swear there's got to be a way to make a wheel out of an old bicycle and a pair of hubcaps.

I did however shell out some serious beans for these:

100_2177

Very pretty. Don't tell The Mad Scientist but I pulled some money from my old Alaskan bank account I had as a kid growing up. Last winter when I was working for the Macho Tax Man, I would put every other paycheck in that account. It wasn't much really, but I forfeited how many nights away from home shuffling tax returns, the least I deserve is a $14 pair of buttons right?!

You can find a whole bevy of these buttons here.

So that was our weekend in a nutshell. I finished up the credit card project. I'll try to post it later this week.

I may also be experiencing some posting difficulties later this week. I had my phone and internet switched to AT&T. I'm waiting for the DSL equipment to come in the mail from them before I cancel the cable internet and phone with the cable company. Allegedly AT&T set up the phone on Friday, but I've got no dialtone. So another fustercluck awaits me on that one I'm sure. I might just go with my original plan to cancel land line service and work with a cell. Have I mentioned I hate living here?

15 Comments:

Blogger cpurl17 said...

Yes, you do deserve $14 buttons.

Good luck with the phone/ISP switchover!

I can't do my blogstalking assignment because my camera has mysteriously disappeared. damn those cats!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Gee, Bezzie, you might have mentioned once before that you don't like living in Texas too much.

My husband is from Grand Rapids MI and you just clarified for me why he can't say Charlotte. He definitely puts the emphasis on the "lotte" part. I think Charlotte should rhyme with harlot.

Funny how excited some locals can get about a product that really doesn't stand up to rigorous scrutiny. But putting "tastier chips" above the cow? They should have known better. A town near me has a cow chip throwing contest every year. No shit! Or should I say, lots of shit?

Can't wait to see what you did with those credit cards. Do you need any more?

4:53 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Those are gorgeous buttons - the flicks in them remind me a bit of opals.

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Nik Budnik said...

Ah Live in North Carolin-Ah, and Ah say Shar-lot as well.
Not Shar-Lett.
Of course, Ah was not Boerne in North Carolin-ah.. I was Boerne in California.
I still say Shar-lot.
Tomato, Tomatoe, potato, potatoe. Let's call the whole thing off.
$14 buttons? I will never feel guilty for buying $12 beer again!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Well, next time you're in Florida I will have to take you to Palm Beach Ice Cream. They have the best damn ice cream around. The owners are two guys who make all the ice cream themselves in the store. One is a drunk and the other is a stoner. Needless to say, the ice cream is phenomenal. I had a brief stint working there. :)

You totally deserve to splurge every once in a while, even if it's on buttons!

My friend moved to a town in Massachusetts called Worcester. They pronounce it Wus-ter. It kills me. I looked it up in the dictionary and the pronunciation is wus-ter as well!

AND is that a ladybug tea kettle I see?! Totally cool! :)

10:04 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Blue Bell ice cream. Isn't there something with a bunny, too?

Here's the clue: the quality of the ice cream goes down with the price. Sometimes you just have to pay for quality.

-T.

P.S. Kaye's Cones! Taste Great!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Why yes, that IS a ladybug teakettle. And ghetto foil wrapped burner schmootz catchers to minimize having to clean the stove when we leave. ;0)

10:26 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

let it out, girl! But how come in Illinois it's Des Plaines with all the s's, and in Iowa it's Des Moines with no s's?? Why?? And yes, fat is flavor country, you'd think Texas would know that!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Now I'm not remembereing it right...but it was either Blue Bell or Blue Bunny that was THE PREMO ice cream in a wee little mexican town in Nayarit, for the Americans. Mostly because it was the most "american tasting" ice cream around...

I have to agree though, having tasted ice creams high and low, hither and yon...if you aren't exposed to a great variety, how can you say what's best? Your co-workers may have grown up on Blue Bell and not ventured to buy "outside the box." To this day my little brother will not eat Cookies and Cream ice cream unless it is Dreyers...the best! According to him.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Ooh pretty buttons.

You can't beat a decent ice-cream. It's Haagen Daz that does it for me, the Bailey's or the Malibu flavour.

12:03 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

On the one hand, the ingredients sound really good. On the other, Turtle SOUP!?! Good God woman you gotta warn me before you put up a link that says that! Ew!

Heh.

3:58 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

It's Blue Bunny that's the shiznit.

3:59 PM  
Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Blue Bell blows. Texans can be weird. I mean Texans are weird but their occasional normalcy makes you think you can trust them. Then BAM! Screwed over by cheap ice cream.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Bufanditas said...

What?!! You mean Blue Bell is not the "Best tasting ice cream in the country"? Oh well, that explains why I hardly buy it. :)

Ice cream that really makes me cringe when I see it is the one with the Splenda label. Yuk to infinity. There is nothing natural about that.

4:06 PM  
Blogger KnitPastis said...

First Big congrats winning Rain's contest!

I have to agree with you on the Blue Bell ice cream. I was raised in Louisiana, but have been in PA for about the last 18 yrs and B&J ice cream rocks. Not Blue bell even though my dad loves it. I love Haagan Dazs the best. Pinapple Coconut is my favorite.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home