Monday, November 13, 2006

Gold Card

Sorry for all the rapid fire daily posts. I feel like I have to get it all in before I disconnect the cable internet and switch to DSL hopefully later this week. Given the issues I had setting up the internet when we moved here, I'm paranoid.

This weekend I finished Gold Card:

100_2192

No, I won't get any closer detail of this. A) My beading skills suck B) my hand felting skills suck even harder. As a result this little purselet is only lightly felted.

The bottom looks like this:

100_2186

The inside looks like this:

100_2187

Yes, pouring boiling water on a credit card WILL warp it.

It's big enough to hold a cell phone and a few other small deelybobs. I just don't know what I'm going to do with this thing though. My days of carrying a snappy little purse are over. Sigh.

100_2190

Not really crazy. However, I believe I have some inspiration for my next project involving knitting and credit cards. I think this time I'm going to go with the cardboard ones they give you. Punching the holes in the base credit card for this purselet was a pain in the butt.

As a teaser, my next credit card project will be a recycled clothing one. I took this article as a sign showing up in my mailbox today. I love Slate.com. I do take issue with the way people slap the word "organic" on everything though. If something has carbon in it, it technically qualifies as "organic."

Finally, I must beg of your help dear knitters, readers, and other crazies who surf through here. At lunch the co-workers were talking about doing their annual Christmas White Elephant trade during the Christmas party. A $20 gift limit. Ugh. This definately throws a kink in my Cheapass Christmas.

I'm thinking maybe a felted bag? All the people in the office are women, so that makes it a bit easier. I've got two skeins of Lion Brand Wool in a nice chocolate brown. What do you think? That wouldn't be too cheapy right? Well, as long as I don't try to hand felt it!

20 Comments:

Blogger Sherry W said...

The bag will be amazing! Or just tell them you can't!!! They will understand, and if not, f-them.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

You are so talented and creative! I love the bag - you should make another one for the White Elephant thingy.

11:20 PM  
Blogger OldLadyPenPal said...

Make a felted bag! And if you need any other colors, let me know. I have some WOTA that is languishing in my stash. A totally obnoxious bright blue, a dusty light blue, and some green. Those might look.... interesting with chocolate brown! Say the word and they're yours.

7:02 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

The purple bag is great. I think a felted bag for the white elephant is a great idea! Wine is the hot sought after item at the white elephant exchange at our office.

I love those ladybug hooks on the wall too!

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Miss T said...

Personally, I'd be thrilled to get a cute, handmade bag at a white elephant swap, instead of some weird piece of crap somebody picked up at Walmart. Great idea, and I bet whoever gets the felted bag will actually use it instead of throwing it back into the next swap. Using those credit cards for the bottoms of your bags is a cute idea. We get about fifty of those things a week, so if you run out...

8:30 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

It's a $20 LIMIT not what you have to spend. Besides, if you were to figure in the time and talent it takes to make the purse, never mind the cost of the wool, you're beyond the limit anyway. Screw 'em if they don't like it. I think it'll be purty!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Make the felted bag if you want to. Or sit it out. If you want more yarn, let me know.

Love the Gold Card Purse. You can always put it into a larger tote bag to hold your knitting and other necessities of life.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I'm not seeting anything wrong with a knit bag (even without felting) for the exchange. Check out the prices of the knitted bags for sale, you'll see it's not all that cheap a gift at all. Besides that, as it was said before, taking in your time and the price of the wool? That's way over $20.

10:14 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

I'm a little confused... I thought a "White Elephant Exchange" was a nice way of saying "Re-Gifting Party", so why would there be a $20 limit? Double check what exactly they mean by that.

My SIL and her friends have a "White Elephant" party in January and they swap their "nice but not for me" gifts. That would totally fit in with your Cheap-ass Christmas, if in fact that is what your office mates mean.

The bag is ADORABLE!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Cool bag. Why don't you put that into the White Elephant thingie?? Or the brown felted bag is a great idea...even a scarf mixed with some tasteful novelty yarn (oxymoron?)..those things impress the heck out of non-knitters.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

White Elephant is for getting rid of crap that you don't like, right? Surely there's something you haven't bothered to unpack yet, because it offends thee somehow. Re-gift, and don't spend a dime!

I was too busy pondering ice cream last post to really examine the picture. But I covet your teakettle. Mine was shoplifted from a rummage sale -- with the Church Secretary's permission (she's my mom). Talk about cheapass!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

I would definitely do a bag for the swap thingy. what a pain in the arse though, there seems to be a lot of pressure to get involved in such things.

I love the bag you made it's really cute and the credit card base is a great idea. I didn't have a clue what you were making.

Psst - you need to get your bum over to my blog ;)

4:38 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Bezzie, you won the stitch markers fair and square, my Mum did the draw and pulled your name out. Now 'fess up - where'd ya live? Dragon lady at the post office won't accept Bezzie, Texas as the address.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Queen Frogger said...

That is a wicked bag! I love your creations!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Love the gold card bag....very cute!

I ditto "the make a felted bag" motto for the white elephant thingy. People love stuff that is made....at least I do!!!

9:21 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Thought about you.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/Advice/HaveATightwadsChristmas.aspx?GT1=8794

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Knit Mongrel said...

Felted bags? Not even a little too cheap - handmade trumps any price guide, for sure.

Love the fact that you used "deelybob", by the way. Glad I'm not the only one.

PS: I'm wondering what else warps when you pour boiling water on it. Is it weird that I see that query as a craft suggestion? :)

3:50 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Cool CC purse!

Go for the felted purse! Not cheapy at all! BTW, a felted bag went for $400 at our school auction this past weekend. No I didn't knit it or attend the auction. Can't wait to see your next CC project! :)

8:59 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Definitely a felted bag would be great. And you can make it as small as you feel like! Mason Dixon Knitting has a great buttonhole bag pattern Only takes a day or 2 to knit up. (depending on your knitting speed)

9:41 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

do it! they need to learn to appreciate the knitting talents of their thoughtful and creative co-worker (that's you)... missing your posts!!

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home