Friday, November 24, 2006

Insomniac Knitting

It's funny, I laugh and shake my head at the poor knitters out there taking on projects for their friends and family and the freaking out that ensues because they don't have enough time to finish everything.

But then I realize I'm no different! Why am I laughing??

I'm loving this four day weekend. Specifically I'm loving not having go to go bed at a reasonable hour. I've been getting so much done.

Wednesday night I finished up Cat Poo Booga Bag for the White Elephant swap at work on the 13th.

100_2285

I ended up doing two rows of stockinette for the handle. I love the result.

I also surfed the internets looking for some green and gold sock yarn. I'd love to make The Mad Scientist a pair of green and gold socks. NO ONE sells green and gold sock yarn. Grrr. Or if they did--they don't anymore.

However, I had some Knitpicks Dye Your Own fingering weight 100% merino that Turtlegirl so kindly gifted me a while ago that I decided to dye.

100_2292

The gold turned out fabulous due to some Mexican koolaid I picked up at the store. I say Mexican because down here you can get some freaking cool flavors above and beyond the gringo cherry and grape flavors. I picked up Tamarind, Jamaica, and Mango. Mango gave this yarn the deeper gold color. I wish the green had turned out a bit darker, but beggars can't be choosers.

So I'll see if I can't knit The Mad Scientist a pair of Colorado State love socks. I was able to find out how many inches you should make a pair of socks for someone with 10 1/2 size feet, but I'm stuck on how many stitches to cast on for man-ankles. Hm.

Yesterday decided to make some of the little felted ornaments from the Knit Christmas Stockings! book my Aunt Jaywalker sent me. I did a heart and two Christmas Trees. I'm not so sure about the heart. It looks like a blob. I guess I'll see how it felts up.

100_2291

I'll do one more Christmas tree and then I think what I'll do is attach them to a card and if I find myself in a position to have to gift the three women in my department at work, I'll whip these little puppies out. A cute little Christmas card with removable ornament. Cheap, simple, and effective.

The fourth thing on the pillowcase there is my attempt at a felted bowl/dish. My Apple's birthday is on December 5. I've already made her two facecloths and got her some gourmet soap. However I need one other thing. Since her birthday falls so close to Christmas, I usually send her birthday and Christmas present at the same time. I'm running out of time to figure out what else to get/make her! If this felted dohickey turns out I might send that. If not, well I'm screwed.

And for those interested, Operation TV Dinner Thanksgiving was a huge success:

100_2287

Those TV dinners have come a long way in taste! It wasn't half bad!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that you should put your Apple's gift's in that knitted bowl. Would make a great display in her bathroom. Chunky looks like he is enjoying his "Five Year" Thanksgiving tradition. I was going to call but someone told me that the timing was off and by the time I had time to call again it was too late. I like the dyed yarn for the Mad Scientist's gift I would say to measure your ankle and then add 2 to 3 inches to that. Love, Mom

12:54 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

OK, I'm a little new at reading here, and looks like your felts are gonna turn out great! (they're very deceitful those felts). your yarn is nice, I love the Knit Picks dyo-my ? is, is that a knitted blanket under the pillowcase? It looks really awesome!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Good luck with your felting. I haven't tried it yet but, I can't wait to! It looks like your Thanksgiving was smashing! I eat frozen meals all the time for lunch at work. They are yum if you get the right ones...some are just plain gross! Have a great Black Friday! I'm at home today where I'm safe from crazy shoppers. :)

1:43 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

happy turkey day to you! I love the yarn... came out nice!

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

I love that you're calling it Cat Poo. Love it. And I'm currently making a sock for my mom (foot unavailable) and guessed it was perhaps a smidge smaller than mine. I'm using the Knitter's handy book of patterns - very handy. Steal the numbers you need - I mean, take a look at the book - the next time you go to Barnes and Noble (or wherever). Alternately, I could hook you up with some numbers if you like.

5:17 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I love seeing the Chunkster enjoying his meal! (and a nice glass of bubbly)

You're a gift making fiend!Can't wait to see how the felting comes out.

What's the gauge on the sock yarn? I can look up socks in my Sensational Knitted Socks book for ya, PM me.

6:46 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Knice knitting.

Do you see why I'm going to make a good copywriter? Seriously, I just came up with that. Two seconds.

I'd say more, but I'll let you soak in my genius .

Haha!

-T.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Hee hee, just for the record before Texas CPS is called--it's Martinelli's sparkling apple cider. He's such a goof, he much prefers to drink it out of that cheapo champagne glass!

7:49 PM  
Anonymous kristi and otis said...

Mango Kool-aid????? GET OUT! Where was that stuff when I was preggers!!???!!! Yarn looks caliente!

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Cat Poo Bag! Can't wait to see the felted version! The ornaments are cute and the felted bowl will be fine! Trust me! You may need more than one wash!

WTG on the dyeing job! Go you! :)

Just think of all the dishes and stuff you didn't have to do! Still looks yummy! I just love their mashed potatoes..and corn..and peas.. :)

11:09 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I hear ya on the green. I think you'd have to buy gen-you-whine dye to get a deep green but ah well. It looks good!

As for the man ankle - lemme consult my measurements from the 4 men in my family I measured over the summer. I'm pretty sure 1 of 'em was a 10 1/2. I'll e-mail you the measurements later.

Cat Poo! Bwah ha ha! I dare you to fill it with tootsie rolls.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Mexican kool-aide is the bomb! I miss Mango and Jamaica flavors...It seriously was the ONLY way I could drink the water that came out of the water tanks in my sailboat...Out in the boonies we had C-Light and it's scary "cool taste" sensation. Seriously, the water could be room temp, but it "tasted" cold...ah better living through chemistry.

10:57 AM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

DH's ankle is 9 and 7/8 inches around, and he's a size 11.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Danielle said...

Oog. The only problem with "hey, I can stay up as late as I want!" is when you do just that. Did anyone get the license plate of the party that hit me? Oog.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home