Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Kool Aid Cables

Again, I don't know why I do this to myself.

I haven't got a lick of presents for Chunky or The Mad Scientist (admittedly it is hard to go shopping when said child is always with you) but I'm for some reason cranking out cheapy Christmas presents for all the sibs.

Since I don't think my middle younger brother or his new wife read this blog, I'll post a progress picture of a scarf I'm making for her:

000_0084

It's a Braided Cable Scarf made from the recycled sweater yarn my original CASP Sherry gave me. I dyed it with some Koolaid of course. I'm really pleased with the way the colors are knitting up. The wool is pretty scratchy, but it will be an outside scarf. Said sister in law is fresh off the plane from Germany and is always bitching about how cold Alaska is. I apparently underestimated the balminess of Germany. Ha ha!

Now I'm debating whether I should block it to spread it a little or keep it as it is.

I'd like to make the middle younger brother the same scarf out of two balls of some Knit Picks Wool of the Andes I have left over from the Top Secrety Project in a dark gray. But I don't think 220 yards will be enough for an ample scarf. I have one ball of black KP Wool of the Andes left from that same project so I might make the ends of the scarf black. But I have reservations on whether or not that might look too weird.

Of course this all could be moot because this scarf is really slow going. I don't know if I'll have time to finish SIL's let alone another one for my brother!

It's a good thing my oldest younger brother lives in North Carolina and not someplace colder. My head might explode if I had to knit for them too. (Although I bet I could corrupt his wife and teach her to knit someday...muhahahahahahahaha!)

11 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Taking over the world, one knitter at a time. The colors are knitting up really nice on the scarf, you're a natural at dyeing! Germany, balmy ~snort~

8:24 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Maybe you can do something faster and less yarn-hungry than cables for the brother? I have a pattern that might work: it's going to be a December newsletter freebie at TGB. Check your email.

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teach your oldest younger brother's wife to knit!!! That is really funny!!!! hahahahaha Now if you said you and her were going to take a cooking/baking class I would say that would be a go. As for the SIL's scarf I think that it is looking good. And for doing one for your middle younger brother I would say it would depend on when the Dr. Ms gets down there. You know that there will be a lot of catching up to do when he gets there. Uh....Chunkie can you not bother Mommy and Daddy for a while? Love, Mom

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Well, here's an idea for the scarf: make the ends gray, black stripe, gray stripe, black stripe, gray-main-body, black stripe, gray stripe, black stripe, gray end. Like those sport socks that have two different colored stripes at the top. That could make it a smidge longer and look like you planned it instead of tacked extra length on the ends. OR, you could do a black cable on the gray scarf. I've always wanted to try those contrasting cables...

9:02 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

2 ideas for the second scarf:
1) Ditch the cables and knit it longways...you know, cast on 200 or so stitches (what weight is the yarn?) and see how wide one skein gets you. Use the black in the middle of the grey.

2) EASY one row scarf from the yarn harlot that I've done twice now (one for dad, one for me!) Not cables, but I really like the way the stitch looks. I got 60" from two noro silk garden balls.
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/
archives/2006/10/12/
one_row_handspun_scarf.html

10:08 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

The colors are looking cool in the scarf!

Yeah, budget wise, I'd say Elizabeth is right, cables suck yardage like a Caddy sucks gas.

So pick other projects that use less yarn for cheapie gifts?

(and congrats on the b-day of the kiddo, and thanks for sharing the birth story!)

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Miss T said...

Wonderful ideas, Bezzie. Here's another one--I ran across this today and thought about your cheapo Christmas plan: http://www.pinkofperfection.com/

11:23 AM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Pretty!

I really must do some Christmas prep soon...

12:43 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I dig the cable patt myself... maybe just do a light steam blocking to relax the fabric a bit and really make the cables pop! Great job w/ the Kool-Aid dyeing, BTW...

12:48 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I had to quit knitting presents for my family, as they generally don't get how much time and energy goes into a handknit gift. One of my SILs knits, and she and I exchange goodies. The oooing and aahhhing is a must, and I know she understands!!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Bufanditas said...

Cool scarf and the colors are great. I think I might want to see the scarf blocked in order to bring out the pattern and color a bit more.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home