Friday, November 03, 2006

Me Llamo

Sort of continuing on with the Spanish theme, today I present you with some knitting!

100_2125

Ok, just a boring washcloth. But it's a washcloth for my old college roomie now dubbed Auntie Apple. She is my Apple, I am her Llama.

In college she took a lot of French and I took a lot of Spanish. We would come home after class and talk to each other in our respective learned languages. I would start with "Me llamo Bezzie" to which she would reply "Je m'appelle Jennifer." And you can see how it mutated and she became my apple and I became her llama.

Each year for Christmas and our birthdays we usually gift each other an apple or llama thing respectively. Last year I knit her a skinny scarf out of my "hair" (100% handspun llama). This year I'm doing the wash/facecloth. I'll probably do another one in green and include some handmade apple scented soap from a yet to be determined place. Anyone know a good soapstress or soapler? Yes, I just made those words up.

I also got my Winter Interweave Knits in the mail on Wednesday. Not too many patterns really "spoke" to me. I liked the Arctic Diamonds Stole. But that's a stateual (yes, I made that word up too) bias going on there. Donna Drachunas just came out with her new book, Arctic Lace, based on the designs created by the Oomingmak Musk Ox Producers Co-Op. Their musk ox farm is located in my hometown and my youngest younger brother works there pimpin' tours in the summer. He and his gee-tar were even their musical entertainment at their anniversary open house this fall.

I'm not sure I want to buy her book though--I'm torn between my love of all things knitterly and my stateual pride (that's right, I WILL make that a real word!). I read her blog chronicling the time she spent up there and she had some pretty shitty things to say about some of the villages she visited. Sometimes I really hate it when people have a conceptualized vision of a place and when it doesn't live up to their standards they get all nasty. That's pretty funny coming from a girl who constantly rags on Texas huh? Hee hee! In the end, I guess she's entitled to her opinion and I'm entitled to my purchases.

But if you're ever up in Alaska, ditch the stupid southeast Alaskan cruise (you might as well just plant some totem poles in Seattle and say you've been to Alaska when you only take that cruise) and try to make it up to the mainland and check the farm out.

Ok, shameless plug over.

The only other pattern that spoke to me was the one that most people seem to be turning their noses up at:

CordedYoke-mag

The Corded Yoke Pullover. What can I say? Either I've been living in Texas too long already and I think it would be perfect for this not-quite-full-on-sweater-weather we're having or I'm a skank who wants to show off her little ladybug upper chest/shoulder tattoo.

Finally, I have to give two thumbs up to the new yarn store in town Yarnivore. I was a bad girl and went anyway last weekend! They were still in an extreme state of putting the store together, but it's going to be really nice once it is all put together. I was able to snag a set of five 8" bamboo size US 7 DPNs that I've been unable to find anywhere else.

The owner and staff (although they could have just been her friends helping her set up) were very friendly to both me and Chunky. I can't wait to go back when she's got it all assembled. The fondling factor was definately a 10 there!

16 Comments:

Blogger janna said...

I'm so glad you made it to Yarnivore -- I agree that it will very cool once it's all set up! (Oh, and yes, it's funny that the girl from Alaska is cold here in Texas!)

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Knit Mongrel said...

So jealous that you got your IK - still waiting patiently. I'm dying to get a closer look at the Arwen cardigan... purty.

Great story about the apple/llama names - I don't know any soapers, but check out Dame Candle Company - they smell awesome.

11:14 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I think they ship the IK to the West Coast on the backs of little mules.

I love the apple washcloth!

1:18 AM  
Anonymous Birdie said...

Do my eyes decieve me? Could it really be?! Is that the...the...the magic afghan I see?? Is that still willed to me? Haha!
That apple washcloth is pretty dang sweet. How is it you and T. got all the creative genes? Eh, whatcha gonna do?

3:51 AM  
Anonymous kristi and otis said...

Where's my IK????This sucks! Here is a link to a soap company I love here in the Michigan state - http://www.brickyardfarms.com/

7:02 AM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

The apple/llama story is awesome - too cute!

And I like the i-cord halter, too. I'm not sure I'd do it exactly the way she did, but I definitely like the concept.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

The apple is very cute.

There's a bunch of people on the boards that make soap....try there...Necia, Soapyknitter and Rosi G are the first that come to mind.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

cute apple cloth! Oh and that top, you go girl..I could so not do that..but if you likey, then you makey and wearey!! ;)

8:29 AM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

I haven't gotten my IK either, Kristi. :(

That's a cute story, Bezz, about how you and roomie came up with your nicknames.

I want to try the Arwen Cardi. I have some Main Line that I think would be perfect guage BUT I am short a couple of hundred yards. Descisions, decisions...

8:56 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

The fondling factor. Do you still clothes shop with your fingers? Man, I haven't done that in a long time. Shopping for clothes is a chore when you don't have anybody to go with.

-T.

10:07 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Love the apple cloth. I think the sweater from IK is nice. Won't be one for me, but I like it. I want to make the hoodie with the cables up the edge.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

I'm not really feeling the sweater for Arwen. It's nice to look at but to me it looks like Seamus and Rogue got busy and nine months later(what IS the gestation of a knit pattern?) gave birth to Arwen. I like the cables, but I don't like hoods on my sweater and I don't like the fact it just hangs open. That would drive me nuts. I think it will be the be the pattern that spawns the most KALs out of this issue though.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

I think you would look dead sexy in the corded yoke.

How nice to find a yarn store that's child-friendly! We have ONE LYS in my town, and the employees can be aggressively hostile to kids. I understand their concerns, but they're coping strategies suck.

I usually buy online.

Love the washcloth. I so wish I'd had some apple soap ready for you!

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Do you crochet at all? You should check this apple pattern out...cool, right?

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not soap. And it's not handmade, but Bath and Body Works has an awesome smelling green apple candle. The holder is a ceramic green apple and it smells like a green apple. It also is burning cleanly so that when it's all done burning I think I may actually end up with a green apple candle holder, instead of just a green apple with a bunch of crud in the bottom.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I love the sweater, and if ya got the sholder tattoo, then do it! Love the apple/llama thing, aren't old dear friends that you made up geeky nick names with the best! I think I need to make a phone call to Sammy Baby!

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home