Monday, November 06, 2006

Texas Forgotten Frost Toque

Ok, well "it" turned out ok!!!

Here "it" is:

100_2133

That's before I finished "it" completely.

Here "it" is completed:

100_2153

Can't tell the difference between "it" completed and uncompleted?

It's probably because you can't see "it" close up in the pictures:

100_2166

Pretty cool huh?

The stats:

Yarn: Handspun 100% Corridale spun by Karen. She estimated it as about 52 yards spun. I probably have a good 15 to 20 yards left.

Pattern: A Bezzie original using Knit Pattern #205 from The Book of Knitting and Crochet (which I just looked up as retailing for $60 used on Amazon--I got it for $6 at Half Price Books--score!) I added the beading afterwards. Not my best work, but no one should be examining my head that closely.

Needles: size US 7 for the band; size US 9 for the lace pattern

I dig it, it's kinda hippie chick. I could see myself wearing this when the weather gets "colder."

I suppose I should give "it" a better name eh? Any ideas?

I just filed these pics in my finished object picture folder and it has occurred to me that I'm a small project knitter. I'm not a large-project knitter. Hm. Maybe I'll make that a new years knitsolution--to knit X number of large projects.

Ha ha, who am I kidding? Losing 5 pounds would be easier than that!

Here's the pattern for y'all who asked:

Texas Forgotten Frost Toque

I wrote this pattern on the back of a Dixie cup. I got sick of wearing my diamond scrunchie and decided to make this. If you can tell me where I pulled references for those first two sentences, brownie points for you.

My apologies if this pattern is crap. I always assume that everyone knows what I know and it can make spelling it out in the form of a pattern difficult.

Materials:

US 7 needles
US 9 needles
Small button
Sewing thread and beads (optional)

Gauge:

I made my headband with some handspun yarn. I suppose any worsted weight yarn would work. If you went with a lighter weight yarn, you would want to probably lengthen the band and add another repeat of the lace to get the same effect. So for the most part, gauge isn’t important.

Using US 7 (double check that size) needles, CO 6 sts

K2, P2 for1 inch

K2, BO 2, K2 (to make buttonhole)

Next row: K2, CO 2 and P2, K2

Continue band until it reaches 4 inches long

Now you’ll start the increases for the lace pattern. At this point I sorta tried to switch to seed stitch to keep it from curling as stockinette would or excessively stretching as garter stitch would do. But I’m not sure it turned out that hot. The beauty of handspun is that it will sometimes hide those flaws. Besides, this part will be under you hair. If anyone’s close enough to your head to notice a few funky stitches, you had better be sleeping with them, or you should at the very least seriously think about redefining your concept of personal space.

Row 1: K1, K-f/b (increase 1 stitch by knitting in the front and back loops of the same stitch), P2, K-f/b, K1 (8 sts total)
Row 2: K1, P1 to end of row
Row 3: K1, P1, K-f/b, P1, K1, P1, K-f/b, P1 (10 sts total)
Row 4: K1, P1 to end of row
Row 5: K1, P1, K1, P1, K-f/b, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1 (11 sts total)

Switch to US 9 needles and knit the next row

Lace time!

Row 1: YO, K1, YO, Sl1, K1 and draw slipped st over, K5, K2tog, YO, K1, YO
Row 2, and all other even rows: p all sts and YOs
Row 3: YO, K3, YO, Sl1, K1 and draw slipped st over, K3, K2tog, YO, K3, YO
Row 5: YO, Sl1, K1 and draw slipped st over, K1, K2tog, YO, Sl1, K1 and draw slipped st over, K1, K2tog, YO, Sl1, K1 and draw slipped st over, K1, K2tog, YO
Row 7: YO, Sl1, K1 and draw slipped st over, K1, K2tog, YO, K3tog (sl1, K2tog and draw slipped st over), YO, Sl1, K1 and draw slipped st over, K1, K2tog, YO
Row 9: YO, Sl1, K1 and draw slipped st over, K1, K2tog, YO, K1, YO, SL1, K1 and draw slipped st over, K1, K2tog, YO
Row 11: Same as Row 9
End Row 12.


Sorry suckas, no lace chart here. This headband wearing hippie chica hates trying to read lace charts.

Repeat the lace pattern 4 times or as many times as you need it to fit around your head snuggly.
Decrease time!

Row 1: K1, P1 to end
Row 2: K1, P1, K2tog, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1 (10 sts total)
Row 3: K1, P1 to end
Row 4: K1, P1, K2tog, P1, K1, P1, SSK, P1 (8 sts total)
Row 5: K1, P1 to end
Row 6: K1, P1, K2tog, P1, SSK, P1 (6 sts total)

Switch back to US 7 needle and knit a row

From here until the band is 4.5 inches continue in the K2, P2 pattern.

Bind off.

Weave in ends, wet, and block.

Once the headband is dry, sew your button on the band. That’s it if you want to skip the beading.

To bead it all I did was: with a piece of doubled cotton thread, I did a simple running stitch outlining the “V”s that occur on the lace pattern. I beaded five glass seed beads onto the stitch facing the right side.

That’s it. Wear it with all your Snow Queen Hippie Chick pride!

20 Comments:

Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

Texas Touque?

11:31 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Very pretty!

I think of the Snow Queen or a Swan.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Very nice job there! Looks good on you! :)

11:56 PM  
Blogger Me said...

I'm not good at naming stuff, but I think it looks cool. And it's certainly appropriate for Texas weather!

4:59 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Ooh that's pretty. I love the beads on it, they really set it off.

I mentioned to my Mum about what you said - there being something about February for all of us November babies. Without skipping a heartbeat she quipped back - Yeah, your Dad's birthday. We've been screaming laughing.

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

It's cute, Bezzie! And big projects aren't all they're cracked up to be. I mean, if you made yourself a sweater...when would you wear it? Although I bet if you started now, you could poke your way through a sweater in time to wear next Christmas - unless it was unseasonably warm that day. Like THAT would ever happen, hahaha...

7:34 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I like "Texas Toque" it's very funny.

I was thinking of playing with the I and the T...but it's too early for my brain to properly function...

How about the Interesting Take on a headband...hmmm, almost as bad as "Soggy."

Sorry.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

yeah, I do the little stuff too. Knitting ADD is my problem. Scared of commitment! That is a purdy headband tho, and I hope it gets chilly enough to use it!

10:09 AM  
Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Around here we reffer to people who winter in Texas, Arizona, and SoCal ans Snow Birds, that might be a good name for it.

Oh and I'll be needing the pattern for that I have just the right ammount of Hawaiian handspun...

Ahem, I mean, please Miss Bezzie can I have the pattern! I'll be on my best behavior! I won't even pass notes in class or put gum on Stevie Brenner's seat.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

How about Forgotten Frost for a name?

As in the frost that is not happening in San Antonio?

I love it. Very pretty, and what nice handspun!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Bufanditas said...

Isn't Half Price Books the best? Which one do you visit? Personally I find the one on Broadway to be the best.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

*jaw drops*

Beautiful! Can we bribe you to share the pattern? I want to grow my hair out, and I need something to distract from the Looks Like Total Ass phase.

1:50 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

I shake my fist at you damn hippies!

-T.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

It's so cute! I'm terrible at thinking up names. But I like Texas Toque.

My verification word is sanws. Sounds like something, just not sure what.

2:06 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

A Bezz Head! (Get it? Huh Huh? Bezz Head instead of Bed Head. Ha! I slay me!)

2:42 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Awesome! I love the beading detail!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

I have a Blink 182 shirt too, and I've never finished a large project.

Did I miss the point of the post?

7:21 PM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

I am sloooowly working on a sweater for myself. The more I work on it the more I realize I will never ever knit an adult sweater again. Small stuff for me, tyvm.

Love the headband!!!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Stephanie (aka qdgirl) said...

Thanks for your birthday wishes! Cute headband!

8:18 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Nicely done! :)

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home