Friday, December 29, 2006

2006 FO Roundup Part 3

*YAWN*

Part three!

Today we highlight my first forays into knitting actual large garments of clothing. Of course I still haven't tackled sleeves!

2006 Tanks

The mighty tank top: exposer of the pasty white flabby upper arms!

Today I'm shaking it up a bit--I'll start in the middle of the column on the right.

1. The Nip Strip Tank. This is the piece where I really learned about gauge. The pattern called for that Lion Brand ribbon yarn. So I substituted Carons Simply Soft. Because the dropped stitches were more revealing with the Simply Soft, I had to modify the nipple region of the tank to a thick band of garter stitch. Worked out pretty well. Until I tried it on. I swam in it. I should have swatched. Ah well, if I ever get knocked up again, this will make a great maternity top.

2. (Bottom of column on right): Remember my Thrifty Trio of Texas Tank Tops? After learning we would be moving to Texas, I set forth knitting myself three tank tops. All out of cheap-o cotton yarn, and all out of progressively more difficult patterns. The first one was made from Sugar n'Cream cotton yarn and was a simple squarish tank top pattern consisting of garter and stockinette stitch from the book "Hip Knits." I actually swatched this one. And washed the swatch! I thought I accounted for all of the shrinkage when I knitted this puppy up.

Alas the final product was a bit too short and I look like some kind of white trash Britney Spears that couldn't afford the plastic surgery to remove the stretchmarks and surgically induced C-section pooch when I wear it.

3. Which brings us to the top of the column on the right. The Shapely Tank from White Lies Designs in Bernat Cotton Tots. Or as I like to call my masterpiece: "The Dumply Tank." I was so excited to knit this. The day I cast on, I was in our bedroom, sitting on the bed, letting the May 8th sun shine in, listening to the birds and waiting for the tow truck to come and give my husband's car a jump start because he left the lights on. It was also my first full weekday not working for The Man. (Dr. Mad Scientist has a tendency to leave his lights on when we don't have any money. Pisses me the hell off. He left his lights on last night too after picking Chunky up from school--luckily I came home shortly after they did and made him turn them off.) I swear I swatched this one for gauge and shrinkage too. But as you can see from the results it came out as one big YUCK. However, I learned how to do short rows and this was the first big indicator that my stitches were twisted.

4. FINALLY! A pattern that turned out well! Soleil from knitty.com in Sinfonia mercerized cotton. I loved this pattern and I loved this yarn. I started this tank up in Lansing and finished it in Texas--knitting on the way down. I also finally accepted that I was twisting my stitches by purling wrong. (Even though I didn't fix my purling in this project!) I also modified the pattern to give it a scooped neck as opposed to a V-neck. It fits pretty darn well (there's a little looseness in the top) but it's the first piece of knitwear (that's not a winter piece--scarf, hat, etc.) that I've worn in public. I've had many compliments on it by the professors at work.

This is one of my favorite mosaics of FO because it really shows my growth as a knitter moving from a "Who gives a shit, I don't need to swatch!" attitude to one where I am able to substitute the right yarn and even modify the pattern to suit my needs.

Finally, I can't not post today without giving a shout-out to my number one Dr. Mad Scientist. Today's the day we sealed the deal as naive little 21 year olds to spend the rest of our lives together.

100_2488

Seven years down, a lifetime left to go. It hasn't been a total bed of flowers the whole time, but I didn't sign on for hearts and flowers 100% of the time. That gets boring!!

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Aniversary!

Or as I tell Flint, "i didn't kill you this year!" :)

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Happy Anniversary!!

10:52 AM  
Anonymous kristi and otis said...

Happy Anniversary! I have a conspiracy theory about swatching but I actually broke down and did a gauge swatch last night - sigh - maybe there really is something to be said about gauge....

Your Brittany tank? Be sure to wear it sans underwear ;)

11:05 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I love your fave too! Looks fabulous daaalink! Happy Anniversary!!!!

11:10 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Happy Anniversary!!

I hope the next 7 years are even better!!

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

11:35 AM  
Blogger AR said...

Happy Anniversary! How sweet!! :)

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love that teal top on you with the black skirt! It is just too SEXY!! Sorry about missing your anniversary! I don't know where my head was! Well when you get a flat in the mail you will see. Plus when Chunky gets a letter you will see!! That Monkey of mine is a real card! Love, Mom

1:13 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Awww! Happy Anniversary!

1:54 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Happy Anniversary!

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Happy Anniversary!

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary and I love the Soleil tank. Very pretty.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

4:43 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Happy Anniversary!

The projects all look great. I am going to have to knit an actual garmet in 2007!

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!

You can do sleeves. Really. Just watch your row gauge on raglan sweaters, and you'll get the most wonderful sleeves.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Moo Cows! Seven years? Happy Anniversary!

I still remember the day--on a side note, it may have been the last day all of us Budniks were in the same place.

Out of all of the weddings I've been to, I liked yours the best!

-T.

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! And great knitting too! I think 2007 will be the year I try and knit something that takes more than 3 skiens of yarn!

1:11 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Congrats on your anniversary!!!

Can I say the spiders were freaking me out a bit LOL

I like the tanks and must add that to my to do list....by the way va va voom of you in the full shot!!

1:58 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Aw Thanks! If I didn't have a sort of meme as a guide it would have been a toxic post. I forgot to tell you, I made a tank that was so hideous, let's say the trash can tried to spit it out. A continued Happy Anniversary weekend!

6:59 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I love seeing how you've progressed. Congrats on your anniversary!!

4:33 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Here's to a belated but enthusiastic HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! That is a great picture!

Your evolutionary tank timeline rocks! I feel ya on the gauge and sub issues - have you seen my made-for-Dolly-Parton-Mini-Me attempt at the Honeymoon Cami? :P

7:56 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Happy Anniversary!

I loved your soleil, the colour is gorgeous and it looked fantastic on you.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

It is my firm belief that you are a knitting gourdess who could easily tackle the most difficult of sleeves. Really. I used the three-needle bind-off method on Sock #1 last night because of you.

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home