Sunday, December 31, 2006

2006 FO Roundup Part 5, The Letter Z, and Adios 2006!

Last installment of my FO roundup! (Thank god!) Keep in mind this isn't really an inclusive list. I've found a few other things around the house that I've knit that were too boring or I forgot to take pictures of, the Saturday Market Bag from Magknits, a bad juju doll from The Anticraft, oh and mom's mitties that she asked me to make.

But today is dedicated to my own crazy-ass designs!

2006 Own Designs

Today I'm going counter-clockwise starting at the top left.

1. My Rattlesnake Scarf. Oh, how I poured my heart into that scarf. I worked up the sketches for it while I was proctoring a bunch of wannabe nursing students taking their entrance exams in October and in the following weeks I knit and dutifully wrote down the pattern notes. Then that damn Morehouse Merino came out with their rattlesnake scarf. Bah. Ah well.

Yarn: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Snickerdoodle, Coal, and Mist.

2. The Texas Forgotten Frost Toque (compliments to Ladylungdoc and Morgsarah for coming up with that name!). The leftover remnant of my brief fling with spinning were sent to Karen who took to spinning like a starving sheep to pasture. It was the perfect project for a small amount of yarn and I get many compliments on it when I wear it to work. Sadly I can't keep it on all day--I'm addicted to ponytails and buns. I hate wearing my hair down.

Yarn: Handspun (by Karen!) corriedale wool

3. What happens when you invite Bezzie, the girl you've never met, to your baby shower? You get a Black Widow Baby Hat! A faculty member thought they were doing the honorable thing in inviting everyone to her babyshower--whether or not she knew them or not. Because I wasn't about to spend my hard earned money on some baby I'd probably never see (and still haven't seen--I'm never around when she stops by our corner of the office with him) I designed this lovely hat. The father of said baby in question really enjoyed it and kept trying to stretch it out and put it on during the shower!

Yarn: Red Heart acrylic in black; and the orange is some of that yarn I used on my Bitchin' Mittens submission

4. My crown jewel of 2006!! The knitted plastic bag raincoat!!! With donations of bags from my CASP Sherry, and Turtlegirl (who also provided the wine cork toggle closures), I completed this thing on ironically enough, Earth Day. How many bags did it take? I'm not sure but I can say hundreds. There are bags from all over the world in that coat.

And yes, I have worn it in public. The first time I met any cyberknitters in real life I wore this thing as it was a drizzly day. It doesn't keep the pouring rain at bay, but it does a good job repelling a slight spit of rain.

Yarn: Plastic bags!

Ok, now to finish my 2006 ABC Along with my Z submission:

138698903_891ef675d7

ZOO! This is one of our final pictures of Chunky at Lansing's Potter Park Zoo. We took him to that zoo every year from basically the year he was born. We've got a picture of him virtually growing up in that lion cut out! I'll miss that little zoo. It was small but it was very nice--and it holds the record for being the smallest zoo in the U.S. to house a black rhino.

Finally, what would New Year's Eve be without a few resolutions? Yeah I've never really made any resolutions before but these are pretty easy!

1. Help find Dr. Mad Scientist a job outside of this place well call hell.

2. In reference to #1--do World's Biggest Happy Dance when we are finally able to tell Texas to kiss our respective asses.

3. Knit a sweater with sleeves. (Does the Corded Yoke Pullover count?)

4. Spread the kootchie awareness love with yarny incentives!

Hope y'all have a safe Eve and a great 2007. I can't wait to usher in 2007. It should be a big year--hopefully a new job for Dr. Mad Scientist, Chunky will be starting kindergarden, and once Dr. Mad Scientist gets a solid job we want to start on a different FO--a Chunko or Chunkette. We'll see.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Melissa said...

Woohoo! Congrats on surviving the year! What an impressive array of FOs you managed to amass. You should check out the zoo here, you know, it's pretty nice. And you know, I'd have to say I'm rooting for a Chunkette, because I know that *I,* at least, will dance with glee the day we find out he have a daughter coming and prepare to befrill, beribbon, beflower, and begirly the crap out of that baby. I can't imagine what you would come up with! ;)

1:17 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Let's hope "Escape From Texas: the Continuring Saga of our Heroine, Bezzie, Her Brillant and Job Seeking Husband, the Mad Scientist, and the Sweetist Boy
This Side of the Rio Grande, Chunky, is a very short story!!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Well I love your designs!! You are so creative...don't ever stop! That raincoat...when I first "met" you online you were knitting that..I thought unreal..hehe! I've enjoyed your blog and you!! Hoping that 2007 gives you all that you want and hope for! Stay sane! (or as sane as we all are! ;)

2:45 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Love the plastic bag coat! One of my favorite of all of 2006!

I hope you and the Mad Scientist can escape to a place that you love!

Looking forward to the koochie details too!

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I cannot wait to see you other FO. Dr. Mad Sci, find a job soon!

Love,

Kay

4:59 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

OK, she's a designer too! Love the raincoat! Doesn't that qualify for a sweater? You are tres creative! OMG, *fingers crossed* for your new FO! Job first? I'm dyin to know what this Koochie Awareness is! A Happy New Year to you all!!!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

You would be a great mom to a Chunkette so I would be rooting in thar department but I hope when you embark on that FO that all just gopes well and you have a happy healthy Chunk addition!!!

I look forward to following you into the New Year. I hope it brings you what you need to say bye bye to Texas!!!

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't realized Chunky and Willow were the same age - she starts Kindergarten this fall as well. And hope to get #2 started this spring as well (as soon as we are in house!).

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So 2006 was not so bad...you came up with some really good things. Got through a six month separation, a 1500 mile move (twice), a reunion, and a budgeted Christmas. Plus you finished a lot of projects. I would say that in 2006 you grew some and found some inner strength. Hope that 2007 brings you, The Mad Sciencist, and Chunkie many new beinings. Love, Mom PS....I could use a new grand Chunkie. Don't care if it is a Chunkette or Chunkie!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Woohoo! I love your FO's! Good luck to all your resolutions in the new year. Getting out of Texas and having another Chunker are great things to work towards. All happy things! Happy New Year!!

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been waiting to see photographic evidence of that raincoat. You've had quite the knitty year.

You know, if you have a chunkette you'll never have to buy her a stitch of clothing since we all will keep her in clothes. Her prom dress will be a knitty collaboration (gourd forbid anyone use fug fur). 'Course the best part is making that kind of FO. :D

Here's to Dr. MS finding a job that gets you out of hell and hopefully back on this side of both the Mississippi and the Mason-Dixon.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Love the raincoat! What a creative idea.

I'm an escapee from Te-Haas. I can so relate to how you feel. Loving Maine, though! Bon chance on your move.

Have loved reading your blog and can't wait to enjoy the "Adventures of Bezzie and crew" in 2007 ;).

9:25 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

I LOVE LOVE LUUUUUUUUUHHV the snake scarf and fully appreciate all that went into it. :)

And don't think that your mom's request for a new Chunky/Chunkette didn't go unnoticed.

12:02 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Excellent wrap up Bez! LOL that the father was trying to stretch out the black widow hat!

Here's toasting to a great 2007 (okay, so it's the morning of the 1st and I'm toasting with coffee, but a toast is a toast!)

1:13 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Yay for Bezlets, hurry up woman!

The spider hat is one of the best baby knits I've ever seen, I love it.

Your plastic hoodie made me cry laughing. There's never a dull moment at Casa Bezzie.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Oh and Happy New Year! I hope it's a good one.

2:30 PM  
Blogger AR said...

I love the raincoat!

Chunko or Chunkette? Good luck! :)

2:51 PM  
Blogger KnitterBunny said...

Aw, Bezzie. I just love you to pieces. Looking forward to more info on KAYE.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home