Sunday, December 03, 2006

Alright I'll Do It Too.

But only because it's Christmas and I really enjoy reading how people figured out who Santa was. I stole this from Zonda's blog (although I've seen all over lately!)

So it's the 2006 Christmas Edition of Getting to Know Your Friends (Mine comes with pictures to keep the skimmers and short attention spanners happy!). Cut, paste, answer, spin around in circles in your living room until you barf, have fun!


NAME: Bezzie

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate. I tried egg nog for the first time last year because Dr. Mad Scientist comes from noggers. Yick. It's like drinking cold spiced phlegm.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Wrap!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Tree: usually colored, except this year the tree came with white, so it's both this year. House: Ok, well apartment. Colored in the kitchen and bedroom windows, but I had a string of about 200 cracker lights that I hung on my back "porch."

4. Do you hang mistletoe? I did on the headboard of my bed. Rrroww!!!

5. When do you put your decorations up? Normally the first weekend of December. However this year I felt we needed to jump start it since Texas isn't exactly a winter wonderland. I'm still not a 100% Christmas stimulation, but it's coming.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Cornbread snausage stuffing! Snausages!

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Ha ha, being the one kid to get up last or bust the sibs for getting up to "pee" in the middle of the night. Somehow "peeing" on Christmas Eve night/Christmas morning involved sneaking downstairs for sneak previews of the loot. Just wait, T. and Birdie will pipe up in the comments about how this used to piss them off. Wuhaha! Is it wrong that I still take such joy out of this memory?!

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Ah, I LOVE this one. As regular readers know, we grew up enlightened. So mom did a lot of rebate shopping--remember that? You could save X numbers of UPCs and send them in with a couple of bucks for shipping and handling and receive some kind of toy/prize. This was pre-internet and Alaska people, work with me here. One Christmas me and my sister T. had a pair of matching Rainbow Brite nightgowns from a cereal rebate I believe.

Anyway, with six kids, what mom would do was send away for said item in the name of the child it was for. So one summer when I was about 9ish, I went to check the mail. In there was a box addressed to my brother Bub. We weren't expecting anything. It wasn't his birthday. So I ran home and gave it to him. Oh ho, mom was PISSED! But I couldn't figure out why--I mean it was addressed to Bub why was she so mad at me?! She explained it to me later that afternoon. Ah, good times, good times!

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Heck yeah!

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? With about 6 of 12 glass bulbs the cats haven't ruined, leftover fake poinsettas from our wedding, and these cuties I made from old baby food jar lids back when Chunky ate the stuff (Cheapass Christmass knows no limits!):

000_0112

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Please, have you NOT been reading this blog?

12. Can you ice skate? Yes! I think they take away your right to claim you're a real Alaskan if you don't know how. I learned to skate on Westchester Lagoon when I was little--it was just down the street from where we lived in Anchorage. Gorgeous huh?

westchester-lagoon

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Ummmm...it would have to be the little stuffed bear Dr. Mad Scientist gave me (along with a diamond solitaire necklace--ha ha, T. swears he dug a hole for himself with that present!) for Christmas the first year we started dating. I still sleep with that bear. He's pretty funkified, but if I don't sleep with him between my arms, they go numb. Yeah that's a little weird.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? I like the buildup and the general easy-goingness everyone seems to adopt for the month of December. Plus I like having New Years a week after Christmas. It provides a nice cushion to the Christmas let down and weans you back into the normal grind of the year.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Probably the cookies. I ought to whip up some of my chocolate cherry cordial cookies. I learned to make those at Xmas time a few years back, and wait for it.......there it is--the hankering for them has officially permeated my being.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Christmas light peeping! I love driving in the richy-rich neighborhoods to see what people come up with. I love counting to see how many of those light up white mesh deer we can spot and trying to pin down the "in" thing to decorate with. Remember when blue lights were all the rage? Or icicle lights?

17. What tops your tree? My homemade styrofoam, white light, and silver lamé g-fab Christmas star (please see comment about Cheapass Christmass in #10).

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? What kind of question is this? Who over the age of 14 says "receiving"?

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? I think right now it's "Aspenglow" by John Denver, but only because I'm in Texas where it's flat and not snowy.

20. Candy Canes... Blech. No thanks. I always end up never getting all the wrapper off and ingesting the plastic. That can't be healthy.

12 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

That lagoon is gorgeous! I bet that was a blast to skate on! Did they ice fish too?

The snowman is cute, I forgot I love them on my tree too!

BTW-not at the dark side yet..many years to pass before that starts LOL ;)

10:04 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I like this one too... spiced phlegm... hee! Glad to get to know ya!!

10:09 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

You're right--egg nog is like spiced phleg. I loved your answer to #14.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Birdie said...

Haha! "But, Bezzie, I really do have to go to the bathroom!!"
And how about you always being the last one up on Christmas morning! I want to open presents!! Haha!
Oh those were some good times!

1:02 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Up until last year I'da been the one saying "receiving". Heh.

I'll be doing this for blogstalking this weekend, but I have a pretty funny story behind how I found out who Santa really was. Stay tuned.

7:31 AM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

Aspenglow is my all-time favourite Christmas song, hands down!!! I LOOOOVE John Denver!!! I LOOOVE Rocky Mountain Christmas!!! I special ordered a copy and it's waiting for me at CDWarehouse!!!

Ah, Bezzie, you're so fab!

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that last comment was not from me. But I did find a new John Denver Christmas CD with a really cute song about a toy, and how he loved it and now his son loves it. And don't you remember all your sibs had bladders the size of peanuts? Of course they had to really pee!! Love, Mom

1:04 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

OH! I so side with Mom on this one! Don't forget that you're Utah Bladder. We did have to go pee. The excitement just made us go more often than usual.

I like the way you found out about Santa. When Mom took me aside to tell me I was like, "ah HA! I knew it because you couldn't ever have had the exact same wrapping paper as Santa Claus stored in the crawlspace, 'cause everyone knows that Santa's elves pring the paper!"

Good post.
-T.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

You crack me up! I see I missed yesterday's post, so I have to read that too. I was right! I showed B your post on your Christmas tree & he likes it! We have a space issue too;) Liked the meme, I gotta do that one. Although I would have an occasional eggnog, I may never have one again.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

OH! Your sis' comment...The wrapping paper! I totally just remembered that "Santa" always used the same kind...it never matched anything my parents had...

Then one day, in the basement...yup, there it was. Color me gullible, I totally fell for it when my dad said he must use our basement as a rest stop...I was only 6, or so...I don't remember how I actually found out...

2:34 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Oops! I forgot to comment on #13. First, you can't come crying to me when Steve gets you a welcome mat for mother's day. 'Cause I'll just say, "Told you so."

Second, that numbing of the hands happens to me. Just the other night it worked into my dream. I was back in AK. I wasn't doing a whole lot outside and it wasn't that cold, but I didn't have any mittens. My entire hands became disfigured and frostbitten. I went crying to Mom not so upset that my hands were ruined, but that I failed as an Alaskan.

That is all.

-T.

PS. THANK YOU tactless wonder!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Wow, the photo of the lagoon is stunning! Lucky you for living in such an amazing part of the world.

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home