Friday, December 15, 2006

Going Public

Alright people.

I’ve decided to go public with my crazy ass idea.

After reading the Yarn Harlot’s entry on her blog today about Doctors Without Borders and following Wendy Knits’ blogging to raise money for Heifer.org (which, by the way, I contributed to (albeit forcibly) before it was cool to do so—remember the yak I bought those Tibetans?) I’ve decided to just do it!

Now I don’t want to take any value away from what these highly esteemed knitters are doing. I love it when people use their power for good! But lately two different things have been kicking around in my head.

Thing One
There are so many different charities that we knitters get involved in! There’s Knit Unto Others, The Dulaan Project, the Red Scarf Project, Hats for Alex--the list goes on and on and on! All those knitters knitting for people who need a warm hat, squishy teddy bear, blanket to shield them against the harsh Mongolian winter wind. And even if they don’t knit for charity a knitter is always quick to whip up a a hat/gloves/scarf/sweater/afghan/felted undies/socks for someone they love or to send a random act of kindness care package to a mouthy chick armed with a keyboard, curlers, and a pack of bubble gum.

Thing Two
Some of you may or may not know 2006 was a shitty year for my sister-in-law. She was diagnosed early in the year with Stage 3 cervical cancer. She underwent successful surgery in May, but had a good portion of herself along with the cancer, scooped out. I am happy to report that her six-month post surgery exam found her cancer free.

But then, last month, a certain coworker of mine (one of the nice ones who showed me the ropes of my new job) was also diagnosed with cervical cancer. She doesn’t know how bad it is yet, and we’re all crossing our fingers hoping for Stage 1.

It’s such an easy cancer to detect and cure early. Both my sister in law and my coworker let their annual exams slide until it was too late.

So take Thing One plus Thing Two, add a hot shower or two (that’s where I get my best thinking done) and I’ve come to the following conclusions.

Conclusions
We knitters are very good about taking care of others--be it knitting a hat for a preemie or buying a yak for a village in Tibet so they’ll have yak milk to give to the Doctors Without Borders stopping by their village to provide healthcare.

But who’s going to do these things if we don’t take care of ourselves? Think of the poor sweaterless Tibetan villagers who will catch pneumonia and won’t be able to have the Doctors Without Borders come visit them and even if they could have the DWB visit, how would they keep the doctors fed and full of warm yak milk so they have the energy to do their jobs?

It all boils down to what a very smart grasshopper once said: "It’s one of those circle of life things."

Therefore—hold on to your knitted hats peeps—I have decided to go forward with my crazy-ass awareness campaign for knitters that I have dubbed:

The Kootchie Awareness Yarn Extravaganza

(or KAYE for short…hee hee!)

Hey, if in China they can have the year of the Cock every 12 years, why can’t we have a whole year centered around the kootchie?

Seriously, all rooster jokes aside, I hope this works!

Stay tuned crazy peeps! Once Cheapass Christmass wraps up, I promise an easy way for you to help me spread the word about cervical cancer through the Kootchie Awareness Yarn Extravaganza.

The best part? There’s no money to donate and there’s not a ton of knitting involved!

What do you think, am I nuts? Wait, don't answer that. Seriously, I hope this flies or I'll feel like the biggest doof in a cabled hat to ever roam the earth. More details to come.

Hey! Speaking of cabled hats! (what a kick-ass segue there huh?) I finished my Christmas knitting! Behold, the finished Coronet!

100_2363

Here it is on my noggin. It comes down pretty far on my head and is quite stretchy on the band, so it think it will fit my brother:

100_2357

I'm just afraid he'll think the cables are too girly. But at this point, I just don't give a rat's booty. If he doesn't like it he can donate it to some bald kid in Tibet who wants a yak.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Melissa said...

I think it's a good idea (even though I don't know the details yet). It's so easy for us - who take care of others - to forget to take care of ourselves. Sigh.

Nice hat. :)

8:47 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

that segue was rockin! And how can I resist anything with the words kootchie and yarn in the same title?? I'll be waiting with pom poms on!

9:43 PM  
Blogger janna said...

It's a great idea - and it makes me realize I need to make a doctor's appointment...

Great hat, too! If I ever finish Christmas knitting, I think I'll make one for myself, for those 3 semi-cold days we might have in January!

9:53 PM  
Blogger OldLadyPenPal said...

I love the hat!
And I wish we were neighbors or something.

9:53 PM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

Yearly exams are important (says the chick who is 10+ weeks over due for her postpartum exam) as they are the only way to catch it early. With breast cancer you may feel alump but cervical cancer can be a bit of a sleeper. I am interested to see what you have cookin', Bezz.

Nice hat! Did you have a twitch when you snapped that pic? ;)

10:43 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I love it!! KAYE!! Great idea too! As for Coronet! Awesome job! :)

10:51 PM  
Anonymous kristi and otis said...

Great cause and a great title for the project - count me in!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Great idea!! Count me in!

I SOOO wanted to get one of your Christmas trees, but I don't even have room for that...too much yarn!

BTW, my Jaywalker is on a link at the side of the page under "projects". Just click Jaywalker and it will take you there.

11:58 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I think it sounds like you're hatching a great idea!

Love the coronet hat.

2:33 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

If you've come up with a pattern for a crocheted labia, I'm afraid I will have to kill you.

8:16 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

The idea sounds great! Looking forward to hearing more info.

I bet your brother will love the hat.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Oh yeah, I'm in. You know my own kootchie has seen it's fair share of awareness in the past few years...so lead on girl!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

That is a great idea! I have at least 3 women in my immediate circle who had this diagnosis. ! caught it early enough. The other 2 ignored the symptoms (bleeding) until it was too late and died! So lets raise awareness. Count me in.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK! Count me in. I will do my part! As for the hat I think that your MYB will love it! And if he don't wear it I KNOW his other half WILL!!! You should have seen the lid that your Youngest Littlest Brother wore when he came home from school yesterday. Think "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" That Johnny Depp movie. Love, Mom

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

([whispers] I haven't had a pap smear in about 3 years. oops)

On to the hat: I don't think the cable makes it girly, but if he does, maybe you can duplicate stitch a chemical model of testosterone on it or something.

Seriously, he'll love it. Or he should if he knows what's good for him.


p.s. Elizabeth here posting anonymously. I've been frustrated with blogger losing my posts since I switched to Beta.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

The hat looks fab, If he doesn't love it make him eat it.

I'm intrigued about your plotting...

8:05 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

In our family we have our own personal Nurse Rachet with lots of horror stories to share. We are brow-beaten into having all the requisite annuals.

Everyone should have a Nurse Rachet in their own personal sphere, or someone who slept at a Holiday Inn Express and can play one...on TV or not!!

Bravo

9:51 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

It's a GREAT idea! Had a scare a few years back. Whatever it is, I'm in. (Just picturing something called the Koochie KAL and the blog button that would go with it... ;))

Great job on the hat, too!

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as I don't have to knit anything that is suppose to resemble a koochie, I'm in!

Have a blessed Christmas Bezzie!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I look forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve.

I had a scare back the beginning of the year and had to have cancerous cells removed from the opening of my cervix. In the fall a follow up concluded some of the cells were what they call jumpers so another biopsy was done. Fortunatly all is clear and I go back in Feb. with hopes of no more issues. And I am a faithful every year pap gal. I feel sick to think if I wasn't. I am all for getting the word out!!!

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home