Thursday, December 21, 2006

Listen! Do you..

...wanna know a secret?

I love Christmas!

I don’t mind that people go to the mall and fight tooth and nail for the latest animatronic Muppet that giggles, dances, and shits itself.

I don’t buy that crap for my son and he doesn’t ever want it. I don’t have to go near the toy store or mall to fight the crowds.

If people want to wait in the cold in a line at Oh-Dark-Hundred to get their hands on the latest plasma screen HD automatic crescent wrench shaving cream warmer--I don't mind. Whatever flips their cookies.

I'd rather get four pinecones that make me smile in the mail from an old coworker back in Lansing for Christmas.

100_2414

I love Santa and Mrs. Claus.

I love that my son came home from school a couple of weeks ago after Santa and Mrs. Claus visited them and informed me that Santa was very nice and Mrs. Claus was looking “quite fashionable.”

I love that he believes in Santa.

I don’t mind that I have to “lie” to him about Santa. I remember being “lied to” about Santa as a kid and guess what? I don’t hate my parents and sob into the couch pillow of a therapist about how they ruined my adult life with the myth of Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

100_2422

I love that my son refused to tell me what he wanted for Christmas because if he spoke what he wanted aloud it “wouldn’t come true.”

I love that when I finally did get out of him what he wanted for Christmas it was two things. Two simple things.

I love that I know even though I didn’t get him one of those two things, he will be totally enamored with everything else under the tree that it won’t matter.

I love that my family doesn’t mind getting homemade presents. Or if they do mind, they don’t bitch about it to my face.

100_2333

I love the stress of getting the decorations up and the cards sent and the cookies baked and the Christmas dinner served. I thrive on that stress.

I love the way the last two weeks of the year the world slows down, people take time off of work and school to stay at home and the mood in the air is one of a palpable laid-back nature.

I love that nothing is expected of me the last two weeks of the year at work. And if something is expected, if it’s a little late they’re willing to use “the holidays” as an excuse for its tardiness.

I love that some people try to be PC around this time of year and wish others a “Happy Holiday” or a “Season’s Greetings” in case they don't celebrate Christmas.

I think it rocks that so many different trains of thought all seem to converge at the same station this time of year for the same purpose of peace, love and understanding.

I love that on Christmas we will spend half of the day on the phone calling the two sets of parental units in Alaska and a certain sister of mine who will probably be bitching about how "cold" it is in Atlanta.

So many people have meltdowns or go ranting and raving about everything from the excess consumerist gluttony we experience or feel pressured to experience this time of year; the sham of a fat guy in a red suit; how crappy it is that some people call it a "holiday tree" and not a "Christmas tree" as not to offend anyone; how frazzled and stressed they feel to keep up with the Marthas and make sure their napkin rings match the toilet seat cover; or how they hate having to juggle Christmas dinner between spending it at drunken Uncle Louie’s house and their sister Chatty Cathy's house.

100_2301

I’m just thankful that:

I have a kid to lie to about Santa Claus to and buy presents for;
I have a home to worry about decorating;
I have friends and family to send Christmas cards to;
I have friends who don’t celebrate Christmas (but a different holiday instead);
I have a family to spend Christmas with (Even if it is just my immediate family. Enjoy your Drunken Uncle Louie and sister Chatty Cathy's Christmas dinners! We haven't seen many of our siblings and some parental units for nearly 7 years!)

But finally, I'm thankful that y'all are here to listen to my own little Christmas rant!

100_2350

29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christmas piggle! oink oink!

My husband's new age parents didn't 'lie' to him about Santa. He always has felt cheated. Isn't that sad?!

Besides do you know how long it took me to convince him Santa was real?!

7:08 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

You've captured the true spirit of Christmas. I love it too, so thanks for the post.

I cried out in luaghter when I got the the picture at the end.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Bezzie. Even though I'm a ranter.

8:39 PM  
Blogger OldLadyPenPal said...

Gorgeous Bezzie. Gorgeous spirit, gorgeous heart, gorgeous nose-hair. I love it all!

Merry Christmas, my sweet knitty friend!

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, so I have to come clean about loving Christmas too. I'm just sick of Santa around every corner. It's like hearing "Thriller" too many times... great song, but it loses the magic! Happy Christmas Beezie! I love the way you love Christmas!!

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

I was going to comment on the actual content of your post, but then you derailed me with the reference to Drunk Uncle Louie. We're friends with a Louis who promised he would crash our holiday festivities sometime and be Drunk Uncle Louie - is this some cultural reference of which I am unaware?

10:15 PM  
Blogger Inky said...

You've never looked lovlier, Bezzie :)

Thanks for putting it into words so well, I've tried hard to get the spirit this year, and feel I've succeeded. You've helped.

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that you are a part of the "Christmas Lovers". I knew that when I spent my first Christmas away from my family that I had to make it for myself and that is just what I did, I was Santa for my roommates and myself. They were sure surprised to find stockings and presents from Santa under the little 4foot Christmas tree I put up in our barricks room in 76! And Santa still comes to our house every year!!! Of course I am always a "Good Girl"!!!! Hahahahahaha!!!! Love, Mom

11:47 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yay for you!! Glad that Chunky still believes!! Love your wreath ;) hahaha!!

Merry Christmas!!! to all of you!! Have a super one!

Me, one of the peeps that'll be enjoying some time off! :)

12:31 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I love Christmas too! I love people in dorky Christmas sweaters. I love belting out Christmas tunes in the car and watching the same Christmas movies over and over. I love Santa. I love to sit in my living room with just the lights of my tree on and feel contentment. I love that Chunky still believes because I know I do!

1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU, KBezzie, THANK YOU.

This is just what I needed to read. My roommate had the gall to question (the night before she left for home) how I can stand to be alone for Christmas again. I told her it wasn't like I was going to stare at my tree and cry all day--and not like I'd cry at all. When I told her that I was planning on making myself a killer breakfast to celebrate, she only replied that doing that didn't make things any better.

I AM enjoying the holidays. I'm enjoying the fact that I'm not in school right now. And, I love New Year's, reviewing the past year and making plans for the new one. And, I'm going to enjoy my pancakes.

-T.

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Miss T said...

Lovely, Bezzie. Thanks for that nice reminder.

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Amby said...

I'm thankful for pictures like that last one, that give me a smile first thing in the morning. ;-)

7:50 AM  
Blogger KnitterBunny said...

This Christmas, I'm thankful for new traditions. I'm going to make cinnamon rolls from scratch for the first time. We're going to watch the cartoon version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." We are going to light candles and exchange one present on Christmas Eve and we are going to relax and enjoy the holiday. It makes me happy just to think about it.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Merry Christmas Bezzie!! I hope that you and your loved ones have a great holiday!!

P.S. I am a Christmas nut too!!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

And I love BEZZIE.

That's all there is to it.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Andi said...

Amen!

Have a wonderful holiday!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

And here I was gettin all sniffly and shit and you HAD to put that last one in...Merry Christmas to you and yours and hope it's the best holiday ever!

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I almost thought you had a serious bone in your body until that last lil gem. ;)

I hope the 3 of you have a wonderful Christmas!!

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Liz said...

I think I love you, Bezzie. Thanks for waking me out of my "I hate Christmas--with all the excess consumer gluttony" mindframe. Have a spectacular Christmas!

(that's one of the best Santas I've ever seen!)

12:23 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Bezzie, I love YOU! That post just totally made my day, and after LALALAAAA-ing my way past all the Scrooges, I say Rock On and Merry Christmas!

Mwah!

12:51 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should always wear a Christmas wreath. It suits you! : )

1:23 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Merry Christmas Bezzie! Merry Christmas movie house! Merry Christmas Emporium! Merry Christmas you wonderful old Build & Loan!

I love this time of year.

2:23 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Bezzie, you just rock my world.

Big huge Merry Christmas hugs and wishes to you, Chunky, and the Mad Scientist!

6:44 PM  
Blogger AR said...

Great! That was a great post. I especially love your Christmas portrait. Piggy face. Cute!

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Dr. and Mrs. Mad Scientist and Chunky!

5:09 AM  
Anonymous kristi and otis said...

Awesome post - well said! Wishing you. Chunky, Hubster, and felines a great Christmas!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Bah Humbug!

I have to admit to finding this time of year highly amusing at how loony some people go for the sake of 1 day.

It sounds like Chunky is going to have a wonderful time. What a sweet kid.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home