Saturday, December 02, 2006

Trees & Moths

Just a quickie post--I finished the three felted Christmas tree ornaments for Papa Bear Boss, Mama Bear Boss and Baby Bear Boss. I'm the low Brownielocks on the totem pole so I figured I'd better knit three just to cover my bases since I answer to all three of them in varying degrees.

000_0100

I'm very pleased with them. They're taken from a pattern found in the Knit Christmas Stockings! book Aunt Jaywalker sent me in the mail as I was sending her her Jaywalkers.

I'll slap them on the front of a homemade Christmas card and call it good. Suh-weet!

Tomorrow I might show you something a certain knitter sent me in the mail today. But maybe not. She's on vacation right now and I don't want her to miss her official "thank you" post ;-).

But I'll leave you with something I found on one of the spokes of Dr. Mad Scientist's bike today:

000_0096

Ok, I hate big Texas bugs, but this sucker was kinda cute regardless of being nearly 3 inches in length. I think when it matures it will look like this:

luna-male

I'm not sure if luna moths eat fiber though. Hmm...

ETA: The Scientist has spoken--Heimlich there might actually be a polyphemus moth and not a luna. To my credit when you google "big green caterpillar" you come up with a lot of options-hee hee!

Sadly when I moved the bike, Heimlich fell off into the grass. An hour later he was gone. Either he was fast moving and found someplace else to go, or he became bird food. So I can't send him to Mr. SABLE to join his cocooned male polyphemus. Besides what if mine was a dude caterpillar too? Isn't same sex caterpillar marriage outlawed in Wisconsin now?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe that I am the first to make a comment at this blog!!! Better look is up on Google to see if these things eat fibers. Get out the moth balls just in case. Love, Mom

11:24 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Those ornaments are sooo cute! That bug looks like Heimlich from A Bug's Life!

12:45 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Ick on the bug!

I like the felted ornaments, though. Did you sew the beads on afterward?

7:08 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Yup, beads were post-felting.

And C-Purl--I thought the same thing about Heimlich!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I want to close my laptop and run from the room crying. Ewwww...Buggies!!

Ornaments are very cute...I've got that book...I'll have to dig it out and take a better look at it!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Bezzie, Dr. Science, aka Mr. SABLE says not a luna moth, but a polyphemus. He has a male in a cocoon right now and needs a female for it when it emerges in the spring. He would very much like you to ship him that caterpillar when it goes into a cocoon. What is it with scientists, anyway?

Cute ornaments!

9:58 AM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

Okay, I had to chuckle about Elizabeth's husband. That's a scientist for ya! Lol

The felted trees are very cute! I think they will be perfect to adornthe front of a Christmas card. The beads are a nice touch too. :)

I have this thing about big bugs, like huge-ass caterpillars, locusts, etc. Bugs just should not be that big. Ick, gives me the heebie-jeebies. Bugs of that size should fall into another category.

10:32 AM  
Blogger janna said...

The ornaments are great - they'll love them!

1:59 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Love the felted tree ornaments! So cute. I'm going to have to look for that pattern

3:19 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Cute ornaments! Nice job! Nice bug picture too!

6:02 PM  
Blogger Bufanditas said...

I'm glad I've never squished one of those scary looking catepillars and prevented such a beautiful moth to emerge.

Can you imagine a tree decorated with nothing but twinkling lights and hand knit ornaments? Now that's a project I might try one year. Thanks for the idea Bezzie and your trees are adorable.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

eeeewwww. I had 3 of those big greenies in my yard. The suckers ate my poinsttia plant. (The WHOLE plant)it WAS 4' tall 4feet!

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home