Saturday, December 09, 2006

WHEW!

Although it only took me two weeks, it felt like an eternity to make this scarf!

First the specs!

Pattern: Braided Cable Scarf from mimknits.com

Needles: US 8

Yarn: Recycled sweater--100% superwash wool hand dyed by yours truly and a good dousing of Kool-Aid.

Length: Long enough, alright? Not as long as I would like it to be, but I'm working under a deadline here.

My Thoughts: Aside from taking forever, which I believe any cabled scarf would, this was a pretty decent pattern. There were some unclear parts in the fourth and eighth row of the repeat where she didn't specifically tell you to transfer a purled stitch to the cable needle until it was time to transfer it back to the left needle. After two repeats I had it down, so it wasn't a big deal. It would be confusing to someone doing cables for the first time though.

This pattern was a great stash buster project too due to the yarn hungry cables. When I started, my ball of yarn was about the size of an encephalitic chimp head, now it's only the size of a small apple--woo!

Now onto the pics!

Pre-blocking and pre-fringing:

100_2326

Full-on view after blocking and fringing:

100_2327

It appears Springs took a page out of Ripple's book, Turtlegirl.

Close up of the cable and mock cables:

100_2333

And so it begins again! This time a scarf for the brother married to the Kool Aid cable scarf recipient.

100_2335

That's a pattern Elizabeth gave me a sneak peek of. She says it will be going up on The Garter Belt as a freebie soon. Her pattern calls for Noro and the one she did (go check it out on her blog) looks pretty cool. But keeping with my vow to stashbust for anything I holiday knit and lack of Noro in said stash, I'm double stranding some Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in nice contemporary drab black and gray. As such I've decreased the pattern by four stitches and gone up a needle size. This is going to be so much quicker! I can't wait!

14 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Now THAT'S a nice scarf!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Kaitie Tee said...

Love the scarf! Good dye job!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

If only we could keep Zib's internet connection up and running for more than an hour here or there...

Anyway, your cabled scarf looks great.

I have some CheapA$$ Xmas goodies I need to tell you about. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

8:36 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Great scarf!

The Gangsta kitties respectfully request more photos of Spring and Squeaky. I reminded them that they're probably too busy supervising the knitting monkeys in the closet

9:07 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Fab job on the cabled scarf! Looks very colorful and warm! The new scarf is looking good, lucky you a sneak preview even! :) Knit on!

10:01 PM  
Blogger helen said...

lovely stuff! i love cables and i love elizabeth's work.

10:02 PM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

Veddy, veddy nice, m'dear. She'll ove it, know I would!

Tell me, exactly how does one fringe a scarf? I'm making one for my mom, scarf that is, and it needs fringe. It's made in Iceland (bulky or chunky weight? it's knit on 11's) and the scraf is screaming for fringe. How many strands should I use? How often do i attach said fringe (every second or third stitch, etc.) Help me out here! :)

11:39 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

To fringe, I wrapped yarn around my check book a few times and cut it on one end. I took 5 strands, folded them in half, laid them on top of the edge of the scarf, took a crochet hook, poked it up thru the scarf from the back and pulled the folded part thru. Then I threaded the ends of the fringe thru the loop. Don't they call that a clove hitch? It's really not hard at all. As for placement, I did one on each end of the corners of the scarf, one in the middle next, and then filled in the bare spots keeping it all nice and symmetrical.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Ooh that's pretty! I really like it. You must have the patience of a saint for all this scarf knitting. I hate making them.

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Looks gorgeous, Bezzie! I wish you luck getting the other scarf done quickly enough, but it sounds like you will. What Koolaid flavors did you use for those colors?

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice scarf! I know that your SIL will LOVE it! And your MYB will LOVE his! Keep up the good knitting! Love, Mom

1:34 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Amazing scarf, but it's the picture that really gets me. Law firm commandos! Aaaaaargh!

1:52 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

The scarf came out great! My kittie sowuld love that fringe.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Bufanditas said...

It came out awesome!!

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home