Saturday, January 27, 2007

Bandwagon and Not So Bandwagon Knitting

Apparently all the cool kids are knitting Calorimetry.

Of course I jumped on the bandwagon.

100_2606

I'm not cool enough yet to pick my nose with my tongue like some people I know who read this blog.

The obligatory top-shot:

100_2609

I've started walking to work on the mornings Chunky stays home with Dr. Mad Scientist. Believe it or not it does get a bit chilly so this will come in handy. And hey--it gets cold in New York!

I really dig knitted "not-hats" since that sloppy bun is how I wear my hair all the freaking time. I had previously been wearing Coif, which is similar but I think I'll enjoy the button on Calorimetry better than the tie on Coif.

Speaking of the button, here's mine. One of the things with this pattern is I like to see the different types of buttons/beads everyone is picking to finish theirs. I used a metal button I cannabilized off of this godawful zippered sweater thing someone gave me when people treated me like the local Goodwill at my last job always giving me their reject or dead mother in law's clothes.

100_2612

And before I forget, that's Lorna's Laces worsted weight in "Lakeview." I used a majority of the skein to make my mom a pair of fingerless mitts and even after Calorimetry, I still have a clementine sized ball left.

Onto the not so bandwagon knitting.

I finished The Spawn Sweater!

100_2613

I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

See that string at the top? That's the amount of yarn I had left! Almost exactly one yard--can you hear me sighing from here?

The specs--

Pattern: My own design very loosely based on a hooded baby cardigan I saw in Hip Knits. I hate that book and a lot of the patterns are barfalicious (I bought it for $10 during my knitting rebirth--sue me!), but it does provide a great jumping off point for helping me come up with my own stuff. The cable on the bottom is taken from the Karaoke Cable Scarf. The cables on the cuffs are merely the bottom cable split in half.

Yarn: 2 skeins (just barely!) of TLC Cotton Plus in Kiwi

Needles: The cabled bottoms were done on US 8s and the body was knit on US 7s.

Comments: If I could change one thing, I would try to get rid of those pooches on the cable seams at the bottom there. I'm keeping the target audience in mind though. Is a six month old girl spurned of the loins of my sister and brother in law really going to care? Nah. Probably not.

My favorite part of the sweater? Yeah, it would probably have to be this (even though it's blurry!)

100_2616

Thank you iron on transfer paper and Wonder Under!

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Janna said...

Ooh, ooh! Can I have a lesson on how to make tags like that???

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey that is one cool hat! I really like that color! And...It matches my mitties!!!! Why didn't I get the hat also? Just kidding!!! That baby sweater turned out nice. Dang I wish that I could knit, but no, all I can do is sew!! I finished your Youngest Brother's Christmas quilt yesterday. So I am on to something else. Love, Mom

7:20 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I'm about to jump on the bandwagon too! I picked up a skein to make one today.

The spawn sweater cam eout great and the tag is wonderful! I like the iron idea.

9:06 PM  
Blogger AR said...

Love the tag! The spawn sweater turned out just adorable!

9:58 PM  
Blogger lisa said...

i knew all along you'd have enough yarn. turned out cute, btw

10:31 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh great! Now I have to make one too!! I was wondering waht to do with that leftover LL worsted...

I am glad that you had good mojo and had enough yarn left.

BTW, your Calorimetry is GAWGEOUS!!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I love your Calorimetry!! Nice colors! The spawn sweater is awesome! EEK! though on the yarn leftover! I like your label too! Neat!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

AWWW. You'll have to post a picture of the eventual recipient when said spawn is out in the world and big enough.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Your calorimetry looks fab, but the baby sweater steals the show. It's gorgeous and something I'd definitely make.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Bobbi said...

I think in the case of Calorimetry the bandwagon is the place to be! After seeing mine all my nonknitting friends with long hair asked for one of their own!

8:49 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I love it! And the button is so much better than mine. I really need a rounder one. The holes are bigger than I thought and my turtle pops through at the most inappropriate times. Dammit.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Oh I love you tag!!! So cute nd the sweater came out awesome.

I wasn't sure about the calorimetry.......but yours maybe is just prettier then ones I have seen. You have me considering one. Very nice and warm too!!!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I am SO feeling the pressure to do calorimetry! I see all these lovely ones everyone is posting....The Spawn Sweater is fab! Looks great.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Look at that sweater! Oooh, it's so adorable! Wish I knew how to make tags like that too. They add a nice touch to handknits.

Calorimetry is so cool, I just got the yarn for mine and am going to start soon. Well, as soon as the socks and hubby sweater are well underway...

5:49 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

love the sweater! sooo sweet! I like the ear cover too... been busy knitting?

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Knit Mongrel said...

I LOVE your Calorimetry, and in the colorway named after my neighborhood in Chicago! Stunning... even though mine was a gift, can I still be considered one of the cool kids? Gorgeous sweater as well.

1:21 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Great job!

Mt. Sinai is such a great place. Maybe thye can help you find a place to live?

I'd be a 1 hour train ride to Bezzie! You can bring the Chunk down and show him the liberty bell.

1:22 AM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

I love your use of transfer paper! I want some!! Do they have it at Michael's? I want to be like Bezzie!

The sweater is entirely adorable, and looks like a straight-forward knit, too. Always nice with something that small!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Your calorimetry is very, very pretty. One of my favorites to date! And that little sweater for the spawn is just awesome!

12:14 PM  
Blogger bradyphrenia said...

all of your knits are cool, but i LOVE the colors in your calorimetry.

ll is so pretty when it behaves.

10:11 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Your Calorimetry came out great! I've been thinking about that one lately. Now, do I join in so I don't feel so left out, not join in so I feel like I'm not-cool cool, or wait and knit it a year later after it's totally passe like I normally do...

Ah, love me that Wonder Under. Great job on the tag!

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home