Thursday, January 11, 2007

Kootchie Update

First off thank y'all for not calling in the men with the straightjacket when I announced my Kootchie Awareness Yarn Extravaganza. It’s always nice to know you’re not completely nutzo.

So far I’ve got one participant. Hm. I hope we at least get more than one this month to make this month’s drawing a little more interesting.

I also want to thank the people who have offered to donate yarn to the pot. You know who you are! Proper shout-outs to come in that department—stay tuned!

Also on the kootchie front, my coworker who helped inspire this whole hairbrained idea (unbeknownst to her) had her surgery earlier this week. The cancer hadn’t spread very far at all so after her recovery from her surgery she should be a-okay.

As much as I love her, I did break the news to her about Dr. Mad Scientist’s job situation (no one else in my office knows) just in case I’m not here when she returns.

Speaking of Dr. Mad Scientist. He received another email looking to schedule a phone interview.


RG%20Fig_3



Any guesses where in the country he received that call based on this map showing where a majority of jobs in toxicology are? (The numbers on that map represent entities employing toxicologists. Am I the only one that's excited that Texas is near the bottom of the list in amount of people employing toxicologists?!).

New York. Ha ha! Yet again! This time Columbia University. So make that two for Wisconsin and two for New York.

Not to be mean, but I’m floored such high falutent places such as Mt. Sinai Hospital and Columbia University are contacting him for even a phone interview.

But then again, I can kind of believe it.

When I’m bored at work (which happens every other week except for this week and next week when the students and faculty trickle back in), I surf job listings for him. I’ll send him the postings at Harvard, Yale, Columbia and Mt. Sinai. When I originally did this he told me he threw deleted my emails with these postings because he didn’t think anyone from such a prestigious place would even give him the time of day or that he was qualified/had enough experience to work there.

I guess I convinced him otherwise. My rationale? What’s the worse they do when they get your CV? They throw it away and don’t call you. So what are you out? Nothing. Well OK, you’re maybe out the 3 minutes it takes to compose a cover letter and attach it and your CV to an email to them.

But looking at that map, combined with the impending cold front moving through here (flurries predicted for Monday people—FLURRIES!) are giving me hope that I’ll be able to wear this someday soon:

100_2505

That’s the latest progress on my swirly striated sock.

Speaking of “S” (sublime segue eh?) check out the supremely spectacular photo-scavenger hunt Stacie is supervising. She's started with stop signs and it seems sure that it should be successful and stimulating.

I was only unofficially Turtle-tagged for that last paragraph. I figured I’d squish two squirrels with one stone and speak about Stacie’s scavenger hunt and share in TurtleGirl's silly letter meme. Someone stop me!

19 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Love the sock! Have you started packing yet?

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Amy said...

Hey, I'm in...but I just had the annual exam in Oct., so my insurance won't pay again until next October.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Well, I'll join when it's time ;) you won't let me join any earlier sniff.. ;)

How cool..good vibes still coming your way about the job!

Cool looking sock, nice colors!

Stay warm!

btw-still binding off...grrr...almost done, pics tomorrow hopefully! :)

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are an alliterating genius! Let's go Dr. Mad and good luck in that "snow storm"... lookout for idiot newbies on the road!

10:32 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

All those prestegious universities would be lucky to have Dr. Mad Scientist.

The sock looks great! And you know I'm going have to join the scavenger hunt (if she'll let me in the club)

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still going to vote for Wisconsin. (And it's only because I want cheese for Christmas Future.)

-T.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

I shall have my Annual Kootchie Scraping in the summer. No fears there. Haven't missed one since I was 16. I'm all about the kootchie!

Wisconsin is lovely. For us Packers fans, it is the Holy Land. However...

BEZZIE AND CLAN IN THE NORTHEAST? WHEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's all I have to say about that.

6:46 AM  
Blogger AR said...

Congrats on the job front to you and your Mad Scientist. Looking at that map, I'm guessing that you'll get to wear lots of warm hand knits.

Glad to hear that your coworker is going to be ok. How scary!

7:19 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I'm not due for my exam for awhile - but I'm with you all the way.

Odds look good that you will get out of Texas -hopefuloly for good!

the photo scavenger hunt sounds fun!

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still looking for an MD, but I am still in. I LOVE the sock!! Wore my Germany one the other day. I really need them! It was -22.5 degrees when I got up and was not moving up any. But now it is 45 degrees diferent an whopping +22.5 degrees. No snow also! Yippee!! But even with the heat wave my honda will not start. Don't know what is wrong with it, and your father does not want to get it fixed. I still vote for WIS like T. And where are we on that map? It would be nice to have a Chunkie that could visit. Not that you and the MS couldn't come for a visit also. Love, Mom

11:44 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Nice sock! Here's hoping for flurries!

Dang, no toxicologists needed in my area huh?

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Liz said...

May I be contrary?

As someone who lived in the NYC-Philly megalopolis sprawly area for most of my life, I'm voting strongly against NYC.

I know that Columbia and Mt. Sinai are highly regarded institutions, and it speaks volumes of the Mad Scientist that he is being interviewed by them, but that area is expensive, congested and devoid of real nature. Oh, and the people are majorly unfriendly. (this is just my opinion based on 30 years in that 'hood)

Go Wisconsin!

12:20 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Seriously? That's it? Bah.


Yay for New York!

3:23 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

(Oh and I'm up next month for my twat tickle.)

3:24 PM  
Blogger Criosa said...

the thought of Bezzie in WI makes me happy. I wonder how long it'd take to turn y'all into Packers fans.

fear not, sole January participant - I made the appointment yesterday (I was supposed to go in in August. I'm slacking this year). give it another week and a bit and you'll have two participants.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice sock!

My annual exam isn't due till May. But it's an issue I care about as well because we lost a wonderful co-worker to cervical cancer last year. She was an amazing woman who came to work until 6 weeks before she passed away. She worked through chemo!

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, for some reason I thought that you had already knit the toe and were knitting the cuff of the sock. What's wrong with me? I do not know. All I know is that I need to have my yearly check-up form last year.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Yay for needing warm clothes soon!

5:30 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

The sock is looking so yummy!!

Canada wants you Bezzie!!!!! Come to the Great White North!!!

Since Canada is probably out of the question ~sigh~. I'll just add some good vibes your way to on the whole job front!!

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home