Monday, January 15, 2007

Labels

Believe it or not, today is the first Martin Luther King, Jr. Day I've had off from work since I think I was in high school.

And believe it or not I actually thought about MLK and his message today while perusing knitting blogs.

Now I know (Kodiak) Elizabeth has already ranted/mused about this, but I finally came across it myself. I read a story about a particular knit blogger who was blogging about how she was egged on to do something by her secretary. But she felt the need to mention it was her African American secretary.

I kept reading the post thinking that somehow the secretary's race would figure into the story somehow, but alas it didn't.

So what was the point of mentioning that she was African American (if her secretary even approved of that term)? If her secretary had been white would she have felt the need to write "My Caucasian secretary Whitney...."? My guess is no.

That just really stuck with me.

So I won't mention what kind of yarn my Cordless Yoke Pullover is made of lest anyone judge it for it's fiber content alone. I'm not here to foster yarnism.

I finished up the collar this weekend (which will be folded down when worn) and started on the sleeve.

100_2523

I'm winging my way on the sleeve as I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing. I am keeping cryptic notes on how I'm doing it though so that when it comes time to do the other sleeve I can at least get them to match.

I've been trying it on as I've been knitting it and I think if I can get this first sleeve to look decent, I might have a chance.

It would end up being a really cool sweater with a sort of "bitten out" area on the shoulders.

Maybe when it's done I'll wear it to work and show my Mexican and Haitian secretary friends.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger weezalana said...

I wish I had had today off, too. Seems wrong to me that it's not a standard holiday.

I agree, why mention race if it doesn't contribute to the story? She's a tool.

The pullover looks great so far! I'm sure the sleeves will come out great. But I'm only saying that because I'm Asian.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

yeah...holidays where you sometimes mess up the mail, sometimes the garbage, sometimes the bank..etc.... argh. not that he shouldn't have a holiday, but it should be standard. aye, that's what you get when the world is run by old white men. heh.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh, the essays I've written in my head on race and racism in modern day America...

Can't wait to see your sweater, no matter what the fiber.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Racism and discrimination in general comes in many forms. I'm usually disturbed by things that are mentioned in passing, like the African American secretary. I once overheard one of my mom's patients using the word 'woman' in pretty much the same way.

Your turtleneck is beginning to look less like a hot water bottle cover! But what does a Serbian-German immigrant who grew up as a minority in another country know about these things?

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Bezzie, I have to say - that looks absolutely nothing like the pattern you set out to knit. Hahaha. Looks great though, good on you.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Ugh, I hate it when people do that. It's intolerable. Whenever someone near me says that I ask them if that's necessary or if it matters. Drives me nuts. I work at a construction company and I hear stuff like that all the time. They don't talk like that around me anymore though because I've gone off on them on a number of occasions for being ignorant. ;)

The sweater is looking good. Congrats!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Ah yes, the useless info problem. I never get it. Who cares if the person is African-aAerican, Jehovah's Witness etc if it is completely irrelevant to the anecdote?

10:47 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Looks good so far! Don't forget to show us Chinese folk too....

2:30 PM  
Blogger KnitterBunny said...

Ah Bezzie, I adore reading your blog.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Stariel said...

In college I knew a girl who would mention race when it was irrelevant, so another friend and I decided we would mention it all the time when someone was Caucasian.

We walked around for weeks saying "And then I went to Indian food with my white friend Betsy." or "My friend Casey, who's white, is in my chemistry class!"

We cracked ourselves up. ;)

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home