Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Sleeveless in San Antonio

Well one of you asked for it:

splah

My current WIP. The Corded Yoke Pullover from the Winter 06 Interweave Knits.

Not very cordy is it?

I couldn't figure out how to do an i-cord bind off when it was time to do so. I've since figured it out, but in my frustration to learn the i-cord bidn off, I decided to bring the chest and back up to the base of the neck and bind off normally. My plan is to pick up the stitches on the front and the back and make a ribbed turtleneck. Because seriously, do you realize this pattern called for SIX feet of i-cord? If I were to knit six feet of i-cord I'd have to tie it into a noose to hang myself afterwards. Ugh!

Excitedly, I cast on the first sleeve. The pattern tells you to knit the 2x2 rib in the round for an inch before you start increasing.

All went well until I got to the increases. Wow. Increasing a simple 2x2 rib seems to be beyond my realm of understanding. Whatever I do I just can't seem to get it! I've ripped the sleeve out three times now and it still keeps coming out looking like shit on four sticks.

However I think I've come to a solution. I have no problem decreasing a 2X2 rib--what if I turned the instructions backwards and knit the sleeve from the top down? I think I'll try this. In a couple of days when I feel like going back to it. Right now the damn thing is pissing me off.

And if if my attempt to make the collar sucks butt and my backwards-knit sleeves blow--such is life. The whole four skeins of yarn cost me $1.37. (Thank you Joann Visa Gift Certificate rewards and charging our new bed to Visa!)

I'll probably finish up my action figure this weekend. I just have to finish up one last article of clothing (I don't want you all to see my knitted bum) and she'll be done.

Other than that, life on the knit scene has been pretty boring and frustrating.

Dr. Mad Scientist had his second interview with Mt. Sinai today and a guy in Madison, WI called him too. The Madison guy called him to say that he had filled the position Dr. Mad Scientist applied for but that they just recieved a large training grant and that he'd look into it for him and get back to him with the details. That was nice of him I suppose--to call and tell him the position was already filled.

Alright, I'll leave you with a picture the Chunkmeister took. I can't remember which one of you hands off the camera to your kiddo, but it was inspiring.

hey there!

Not bad. No double chins--just a dumb expression. Change the picture to black and white and me into a sandstone cliff and you could call him Chunksel Adams.

18 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Hell NO you don't to 6 feet of icord...that's insane!!

However, my friend and I did make 90" in an evening by running it through a little knitty-nobby-icord-maker thing. Just thread it through and turn the crank....this is after throwing it across the room a few times though....

Back to studying....

9:12 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

You know, I think that green will look good on you! Good luck with the sleeves. In that picture of you I almost thought there was a wallet or something on your head. Then I realized it was the bed post. lol.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Erin said...

I too would hang myself with 6 feet of i cord. No way. I would BO normally in that case too! Good luck to Dr. Mad Scientist!

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Lola LB said...

At least he did get a call back, even if it was with negative results. That has NEVER happened in the past year that I've been searching for a job. So frustrating.

7:10 AM  
Blogger helen said...

you know, if you are knitting it upside down, no need to make flat and sew on. just pick up and go! no seaming, yadda yadda. place a marker at what your seam would be, and to complicate things, you can subtract two sts to incorporate the seam you are taking out (or not) or...yes. YOU CAN DO IT, MAN!

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't kill me, but at first, I thought it was going to be a hot water bottle cover! Of course, it'll look completely different with a person in it... and yes, the green will look great on you. I just know it.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Amby said...

I was going to suggest the nifty i-cord knitter thing too (available at Joanns), but then I remembered it can only handle dk/sport weight at the heaviest. If you're knitting worsted, it won't work.

I had the same problems increasing in 2x2 rib when I made Audrey...I finally ended up having to chart it out in Excel so I could see which increased stitch should end up being a knit or a purl column, etc.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I can't help you with your knit problems but it sounds like helen has a good idea. And just to let you know we could use some sweaters up here. Not just for ourselves either. Could you knitt one for my Accord? It is so cold up here that out of five cars only two are starting! Its a good thing that your father is retired cause there would be a problem gettting everyone to work. Still freezing. Love, Mom

11:56 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hey! I just did 5 feet of icord on my handy dandy wonder knitter! It wasn't too bad LOL! The top does look lovely though! :)

1:11 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

That top is going to be great. Oh, to have the figure again to wear such a teeny tiny top!

1:25 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

6 FEET of i-cord? Heeeeyal no! Gotta give you props - even with the white trash tp roll i-cord knitter, that pattern wouldn't have even made it into my binder!

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the sweater. I think you will look very pretty in it.

Chunksel Adams -- Has a nice ring to it!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

6 Feet? That should be 6 feet under! Hail no! Perhaps after a lobotomy. I do like that green though, it'll look great on you and you can't beat the price! I think your top down idea is a good one, I hate when it takes longer than 5 minutes to learn something new. Good luck on those sleeves!

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gotta give the kid a camera! from Stacie, since blogger is messin with my mind!

10:16 PM  
Blogger AR said...

Good luck to your Mad Scientist!
Great photo your little guy took :)

I'm not even mentioning 6FT of icord! Are ya crazy? hehe

9:25 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

6 ft of I cord is a little (OK, a lot) much!

I'm excited to see your version!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Love the colour, don't love the prospect of all that I cord.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Your pullover is looking very nice.

Nice photo taken by your little guy....glad my shutter views inspired you ~smooch~

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home