Sunday, January 21, 2007

Someone Toss Me the Knitalin

Maybe I can get Dr. Mad Scientist to create a drug that allows knitters to concentrate on one sole project from start to finish before they get distracted by something else. Ritalin for knitters=Knitalin.

I can feel it starting with The Spawn's baby sweater. Although it's only been a week, I feel like starting something else.

100_2580

I've got about 1/2 an inch left of sleeve to do, and then three inches of the back. See that partial ball of yarn? Yeah, that's all I've got left. What is with me running out of yarn for projects all of a sudden? Usually I've got quite a bit of yarn leftover for whatever I'm making.

However that's if I'm NOT knitting from the stash. This sweater is a prime example of knitting from the stash. I had two balls of TLC Cotton Plus with no purpose and a fertilized sister-in-law. A match made in heaven--unless I do run out of yarn.

I'm constructing it in a tunic style. When it's finished it will look like a giant plus sign. I'll fold it in half vertically, and sew the arm and side seams.

What about the neck? Where is The Spawn going to poke her noggin through?

100_2584

See that yellow yarn? That's waste yarn. Originally I was going to do a simple (albeit very large) buttonhole for the neck hole. However, I suck at buttonholes. Big time.

So I knit a few stitches in the middle in waste yarn. What I'll do is stick my dpns in the stitches above and the stitches below the waste yarn, pick it out and then knit a short collar in the round. I have a glove pattern that calls for this with a thumb gusset and I did the thumbs on my Michigan Mittens this way so figured why the heck wouldn't it work for a neck hole??

The color in that picture is more true to life as well. It's "kiwi" green.

As you can see it matches a certain furbag's eye color quite well.

100_2585

Well tomorrow at work I'm getting a temp. Hee hee! It's quite funny how they decided to hire a temp while Baby Bear Boss is out on medical leave.

The first day she was gone, I went to lunch at noon and apparently the phone rang off the hook forcing people who don't normally stoop so low as to answer the phone to answer it. It's funny what higher-ups will do when they have to do a grunt's work.

At first I couldn't help but think there's no way I could keep a temp busy for 8 hours a day, however, Dr. Mad Scientist's interview in New York City went very well. Having at temp around might not be a bad thing if they need to replace me soon.

Another sign that he'll probably get the job stems from a faculty member coming up to me on Friday looking for Test IDs for the newbie students. I gave them to her and she started to walk off, but then paused and walked back to my desk to thank me for the hard work I'm doing and even though they have a hard time keeping anyone in my position because it doesn't pay well (her words!) she did appreciate it. It was very sweet of her to say that but I couldn't shake the feeling it was the kiss of death. He'll probably get an offer for sure now that she said that!

Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Yep, she's getting the vibe that you aren't really 100% in Texas these days. Trying to be nice to keep you from leaving.

Don't fight the project promiscuity too much. We need a little variety. Yes, some people have so many WIPs that they never actually finish anything. But you are not one of those people. You finish stuff all the time.

The baby tunic is looking good.

(I'm still hoping for a great offer from WI, though he probably won't even talk to them if he get a good offer from NY.)

8:00 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

keepin my fingers crossed! I like the sweater, and have been madly combing my stash too. Need...something...to...knit!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Love the color and the cables on the baby tunic. I hope the yarn stretches for you.

Well, if you move again, at least you'll be moving together!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Fingers crossed for the Mad Scientist.

I love your idea for the neck, that's clever. It's looking great so far so I hope you have enough yarn.

5:28 AM  
Blogger OldLadyPenPal said...

Your sweater looks great! And that's a fantastic idea for a neck hole. Now I might not be afraid if sweaters!

My fingers are crossed for the good Dr. For all of you! THis is so exciting. I feel like a weenie for saying so, but it is.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Heh, that's funny about the "kiss of death" bit. As a temp? When I hear that? It's because word has come down the line that they can't keep me :).

You'll find stuff for the temp to do. If there's any filing, cleaning up, data entry, organizing that you feel like doing, now is the time :). Or at least give them leave to surrupticiously read a book :). I know I always appreciate that.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Looking good, I love the cables. And I don't see why your neck hole shouldn't work. What works for mittens works for necks, or at least in this case, it does!

Knitalin. Need me some of that Knitalin!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Oh New York....mmmm...we went there in the fall. I love it and in another life I will live there. We haven't been able to find a half decent piece of cheesecake here!!!

Nice that you'll have some help coming into your office and nice to be acknowledged for your work!!

Baby sweater is looking awesome!!

7:52 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Glad to hear the interview went well.

The sweater is looking great and if you find some of that knitalin you could make a fortune off mee alone!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Lisa P said...

I know what you mean about the Knitalin. I need some of that stuff too...

10:28 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Sweater names that come to mind:

Tom Thumb Sweater
Thumbalina

Heh.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The baby sweater is looking good. Oh! I see that I have trained you well, lots of WIP's (we quilters call them UFO's). Don't look in my sewing room! Or for that matter what use to be the girls bedroom!! Yes I have branched out!!! But I do get things finished. And I have a nice stash for my retirement!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! Love, Mom

11:58 AM  
Blogger Mamma said...

I hope there's good news for the Mad Scientist. 2007 will be the year of good things!

I'm loving the baby sweater. I hope there's enough yarn.*fingers crossed*

1:36 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Um, if that katzah is looking for a good home, I'll take it.

-T.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Baby tunic is cute! Great idea about the neckline! I can't wait to see how it works out.

Babies, and big heads and all that...I'm always on the look out for a good baby head thing.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Well you can keep your knitalin...I don't want it LOL!!

Nice job on the sweater so far! Hoping you have enough to finish! I love how you'll be doing the neckline too! :)

Also hoping you guys hear soon on the job! :)

5:07 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Oh what a sweet kitty!

The sweater is looking great!
Still looking forward to hearing good news from you and Dr. MS

11:30 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

That little Spawn Sweater is going to be too cute! Like that kiwi green. Really like the deer in the headlight look on the kitty. ;)


Ah, I see everyone else is starting to sense the start of Bezzie in the City as well...

12:32 AM  
Blogger AR said...

Will you share the knitalin? I could use a little. :)
The lil' spawn's sweater is going to be so cute. Hope you have enough yarn to finish!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yup, it's funny what happens when the bosses actually realize what work goes on around them. Just goe to show ya...if you do your job well, you aren't appreciated because they think that the work magically does itself. Had that happen to me a couple of times.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Kristin said...

Keeping my fingers crossed that Mad Scientist hears from NY (although I think I would prefer WI if it was me).

The baby sweater looks great! And I think you'll have plenty of yarn to finish!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Nicely done! On the sweater and the job! It's nice to get a pat on the back once in a while. Looks like somebody's NY bound!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Cindy G said...

My Swedish/Native American secretary likes the tunic, and the furball.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home